Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Back catalog suggestions?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By sarahsdad

I picked up a ps3 about a week and a half ago, and am curious what back catalog games people could suggest. I had a 360 up until about a month ago, so I've played most/all cross platform games that I'm interested in already. FWIW, I signed up for PS+ and have a nice big hd on the way to start downloading free games on to. I've also ordered Little Big Planet2, since that seemed cool. I'm not usually a fan of fps' but other than that I'm pretty much open to suggestions.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Uncharted 2.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2.

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If you have any interest in JRPG's I would recommend Tales of Graces f or Disgaea 3 both those games have great combat and start out fairly forgiving to new players. Tales of Xillia seems like another good RPG choice but I haven't gotten around to playing that yet . I don't normally like racing games but I remember really liking wipEout HD and I think it's only like 10$ on PSN, Little Big Planet Karting is free on PS+ and can be fun in short bursts . Both of the Infamous games are pretty good but I don't know how well the first one would hold up at this point. Also I need to mention Journey it is fantastic, you should play Journey.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xplusy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By xplusy

Uncharrted 2, Journey, and I really enjoyed inFamous 1 and 2

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 4 are both great, in places touching and quirky experiences. They are very much so what Shenmue would probably be like if it was still being made today.

Heavy Rain is quite entertaining, just don't take it too seriously because you will feel cheated by the late stages of the game. (I mean that from how the plot progresses) Journey is all right, I found it very forgettable and cannot understand why so many people became bannermen for the game.

Kyodra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Valkyria Chronicles is a great turn based action RPG. Should be pretty cheap now since it's a few years old. Uncharted 2 is the best of the series and should be experienced. Heavy Rain is an interesting and in many ways unique adventure game which I enjoyed, despite having some flaws in the storyline and voice acting.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    • inFamous
    • Uncharted 2
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Last of Us
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xplusy: @corvak: Noticed you both specifically said Uncharted 2. Were there particular issues that made the first one leave a bad memory? My memory of the bombcast from around when it came out was there were issues with some of the combat, and the ending was...silly? I guess I'm wondering if I played it now, is it the sort of thing that would make you question if the 2nd one was worth it, or is it just sort of 'meh'?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xplusy: @corvak: Noticed you both specifically said Uncharted 2. Were there particular issues that made the first one leave a bad memory? My memory of the bombcast from around when it came out was there were issues with some of the combat, and the ending was...silly? I guess I'm wondering if I played it now, is it the sort of thing that would make you question if the 2nd one was worth it, or is it just sort of 'meh'?

The story to all of them are overall silly summer blockbuster movie feel. Uncharted 2's combat just feels better than 1 for some reason (this was back cover mechanics was all the rage), and overall they all give you that roller coaster ride feel like some summer action flick with good dialog.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch from earlier this year, it's a bit deeper than the quicklook gives it credit for, but i'd still check that out first because I have a sister who HATES when I play it, so maybe it's not for everyone.

I thought it was fucking adorable.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 just has much more fluid combat, the enemies aren't ridiculous bullet sponges, and the aiming feels a whole lot better and is a lot better. That's probably the main reason Uncharted 2 is looked upon much more favorably than Uncharted 1.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By GERALTITUDE

MGS4, if you're into that sort of thing. Uncharted 2 is excellent, as the forum says (best story and mechanics in the series + a sherpa companion!). Journey for downloadables. Guacamelee & Hotline Miami if you don't have a pc, for sure. Demon's Souls is amazing, but it's as much of a sonofabitch as you've been warned. Also - I know you said something about being meh towards FPS, but I'll say Killzone 2. I never played the 1st or 3rd and I'm not a big FPS guy but the science fiction setting goes a really long way to making it more interesting. Very cool aesthetic, and the "non-standard" controls give it a very different feeling from other FPSs.

What games from other consoles were you into?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sarahsdad

@geraltitude: 3rd person action games have been pretty good to me over time. Assassin's Creed, and the splinter cell before blacklist have been favorites. I'm replaying X-com again for the fith or sixth time. Skyrim was fun, but the I've had Enough of those load screens to last a looking time.

I tried, it was either Dark or Demon's souls...a little too much for me.

As far as PC games...my Pc is good enough to run Gunpoint and Shadowrun Returns, bit I think that's about it, so don't hesitate to suggest things that only came out there and on PS3.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sarahsdad

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the duders who put chimed in. I found copies of infamous 1 and 2, as well as Uncharted 1 and 2, and have them all on the way for 40.00.

Thanks also for the recommendations of Ni No Kuni, and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm a bit tapped for money after getting the other games, but I've put them both on a reminder list for myself to re-check in a month or three.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The Saboteur (PS3/XB360)
    The player is able to explore 'sandbox' Nazi-occupied Paris, some of the French countryside and parts of Germany. Color is a key element in the game play. Areas, which are heavily controlled by the Nazis, are represented in black and white, with the exception of the irises of characters' eyes, city lights, blood and blue symbols of the French Resistance, and various German symbols, which are bright red and complete with swastikas. In order to make that district colored ("inspired") again, players must weaken the German forces occupying the area.

The game play is in three parts. 'Missions' that are part of a linear story line that opens up as you complete the mission preceding. 'Sabotage' that can be completed any time all over that map which is mostly destroying German installations, checkpoints, vehicles, and propaganda instruments. ‘Racing’ and 'Stealing' vehicles and leading German security on merry chases around the map. If you buy or get the DLC downloadable patch entitled "The Midnight Show" there is a gamboling element to the game, as well as access to a topless-review.

This a game that is more fun than good, more stylized than real, and more surface than deep. Yet, the game is just a ton of fun to play. I would also say just played on normal, it is a game that ANYONE can Platinum since it only require diligence not crazy skills or impossible feats.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Rain

God of War 3

All 3 Uncharteds

Ni no Kuni

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Lair

Haze

Heavenly Sword

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sarahsdad

@bearhardt: I feel like there was a lot of negativity about Lair's controls when it first came out. Did the game ever get patched to correct those issues, or do you think they were overblown? I ask mostly because on the surface a game involving dragon riding sounds really cool.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

All major exclusives. At least I think most of them are good.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    • Infamous
    • Infamous 2
    • Uncharted 2
    • God of War III
    • Metal Gear Solid 4
    • Ratchet and Clank Future trilogy ( Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time)
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Demon's Souls
    • Killzone 2
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

I still think that Resistance 3 is a vastly underrated shooter with a very good sense of tone and pacing.

The first one is OK, the second one is utter crap, but the third one is really, really good.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Look at some of the collections that have come out like the Metal Gear Solid: Legacy collection and Sony first part collections, there all good games at a great price.

Anything made by Naughty Dog.

Journey is on sale for $3.75 with PS+and well worth the price.

and 3D DOT GAME HEROES

And im assuming @bearhardt is suggesting bad games as a joke.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Silver-Streak

Infamous and Uncharted have already been mentioned, so:

• 3D Dot Game Heroes
    • White Knight Chronicles 2 International (includes the first game)
    • Ni No Kuni
    • Demon's Souls
    • MGS4
    • Little Big Plant 2
    • Heavy Rain
    • PIxelJunk anything (Probably Monsters and Shooter 1/2 first, though)
    • Super Stardust
    • Fat Princess
    • Journey
    • Tokyo Jungle

There's more, but those are some of what I could think of off the top of my head. Also, despite what some think, Heavenly Sword is actually a really decent game with a really great story. If you can get it for less than $20, it's totally worth it.

With that in mind, if you haven't played it before, even though it's multiplatform, get Asura's Wrath if you can get it for <$15.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny, I was looking at Resistance the other day; I played the portable one they did for the PSP when it first came out, and it seemed interesting. I'll add R3 to my list of stuff to look for a good deal on.

I still think that Resistance 3 is a vastly underrated shooter with a very good sense of tone and pacing.

The first one is OK, the second one is utter crap, but the third one is really, really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.