PS3 has died

#1 Posted by MrFlibble (68 posts) -

My PS3 died recently, doesn't work at all, turning it on just makes the lights flash then turn off straight away. Don't think there's any way to fix it so I'm going to replace it. Unfortunately when it died there was still a game inside and I'd like to take it out if possible. Is there anyway to remove it, do I need to take the PS3 apart? 

Also if anyone has any idea why my PS3 has died I'd like to know. It's and 80Gb fat PS3 I've had since late 2008. I'm not sure if its the YLOD since I've heard that's caused by overheating detaching the CPU and I don't think my PS3 could get that warm with the current weather however when I try to turn my PS3 on the light does flash yellow briefly.

#2 Posted by Fruitcocoa (483 posts) -

Ah man, my PlayStation 3 died about three weeks ago but then it fine like ten to twelve hours later. Contact Sony in the worse case, it would be a shame if they didn't help you out in some way. 

#3 Posted by jvsexy (169 posts) -

id advise not to open it but contact sony

#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Contact Sony, last thing you wanna do is open it up and potentially break it more.

#5 Posted by Liono88 (368 posts) -

I busted mine open got out the game and ordered a new ps3 if you don't have the money for this, then i suggest googling some repair shops. Sony will charge and arm and a leg but independent repair shops should only charge 80-130 for repair.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

That sounds like overheating if i'm honest.

#7 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

It is YLOD, it's not really due to overheating as much as it is due to solder cracking, it's not your fault per se it's more of a material deficiency. You can crack it open and fix it with a heat gun or send it to sony for like 130 dls to get fixed, I fixed mine myself, if you still have your warranty send it to Sony.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@MrFlibble What game was in there?
#9 Posted by MrFlibble (68 posts) -

How permanent is getting it fixed? I've heard it doesn't last forever.

@NekuSakuraba said:
" @MrFlibble What game was in there? "
Battlefield Bad company 2. 
#10 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@MrFlibble

How permanent is getting it fixed? I've heard it doesn't last forever.

@NekuSakuraba said:
" @MrFlibble What game was in there? "
Battlefield Bad company 2. 
Bad Company 2?! BASH THAT MOTHER FUCKER OPEN FOR THAT MASTERPIECE OF A GAME. *Ahem*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.