Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Newbie questions (games+dlc)

NJS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NJS

Hey Giantbomb. 

Just discovered this website a while ago. This is my first post, woo. But the thing is, I need some help. I'm looking at buying a PS3 as I think they're at about a reasonable price for me to consider. I've played some games on it before but to be honest, I have missed most of this current generation of consoles with other things getting in the way, education work etc. The last console I played a ton was the Gamecube. I've been looking for a while and I think the PS3 has the most games that I'd want to play, out of the current generation. 

Basically i have two questions. I think they are both relatively simple but the second question, I have not been able to find a good answer for so I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. 

1) A good list? ; 

Gran Turismo 5

Heavy Rain PE

Red Dead Redemption

Fallout 3 GOTYE

Uncharted 1 PE

Uncharted 2 PE

Mass Effect 2

Bioshock

Oblivion Elder Scrolls

Batman Arkham Asylum PE

The Saboteur

Valkyria Chronicles

Demons Souls

LA Noire

Little Big Planet 2

Modnation Racers

Resonance of Fate

Devil May Cry 4

Portal 2

Metal Gear Solid 4 PE

Mirror's Edge

Burnout Paradise

Ratchet and Clank : A Crack in Time

Folklore

Final Fantasy 13

I don't really like the look of Infamous or too many FPS, although I am considering one of the Resistance games, maybe 3 when it comes out. I was also thinking of scrapping getting Oblivion and just getting Skyrim when that comes out. 

I realize I might get some flak for one or two of those (FFXIII being the chief), but it kind of ties into my second question, which is :      

2) Will I miss out on any content by buying some games used? I noticed on Amazon that their pre-owned products say, 

Full game is included, but bonus content or codes for online play may have been redeemed. 

How do those codes work? Do they come new with the game, and will I miss out on any potential DLC, free or otherwise, that comes with the game? 

Or should I just not worry about it and buy the games I want to, pre-owned? I will not buy every game pre-owned, by the way. I'm not quite that much of a cheapo. ;-) 

Would appreciate any help with either of these questions, sorry if the 2nd one seems stupid but I've never had to worry about it before. Thanks.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @NJS said:
    Or should I just not worry about it and buy the games I want to, pre-owned?
    Don't worry about it. Games that usually come with DLC are like that to give an incentive for people to buy it new and there aren't really that many games where you need a code to play online multiplayer with. There are none in your list, anyways. 

As for the list, I've not played all of the games in them but I'll just say that you should really play the following on it: 

• Heavy Rain
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Fallout 3
    • Uncharted 2
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Bioshock
    • Batman: AA
    • Demon's Souls
    • Mirror's Edge
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

-checks for Valkyria Chronicles. Sees it and gives the thumbs up-

NJS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NJS
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@NJS said:

Or should I just not worry about it and buy the games I want to, pre-owned?
    Don't worry about it. Games that usually come with DLC are like that to give an incentive for people to buy it new and there aren't really that many games where you need a code to play online multiplayer with. There are none in your list, anyways. 

As for the list, I've not played all of the games in them but I'll just say that you should really play the following on it: 

• Heavy Rain
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Fallout 3
    • Uncharted 2
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Bioshock
    • Batman: AA
    • Demon's Souls
    • Mirror's Edge
    Cheers for the answer, seems easy enough.  

@ESREVER
    said:

-checks for Valkyria Chronicles. Sees it and gives the thumbs up-

Can't wait to play it.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

good list of games. none of the games on your list require a code to play online. 

a few companies are starting to put codes to play online. i guess it's so they can stop people from selling it.

sometimes you will get something for preordering the game from gamestop, amazon, best buy, they are really nothing that special.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

If you buy Mass Effect 2 used you will not get access to the Cerberus Network which gives you some items and a character, Zaeed. Also I would suggest cutting out The Saboteur from your list, not really a good game. Other than that good list, I hope you enjoy your PS3 and when you get one feel free to add me on PSN.

Emilbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Emilbus

Good choice of games. I recently got a PS3 too and i'm now trying to work through a few of those titles.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By yorick
    @RE_Player92
    I borrowed Mass Effect 2 from a friend and bought the Cerberus Network. I really don't feel that it is worth it. The only thing I would have missed out on that I liked was the Normandy crash site. Zaeed was just a thrown in character that you can't even really converse with and his loyalty mission was so-so.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

FFXIII is a great game. No flak.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

@NJS: Here's my opinion on what you should get:

Gran Turismo 5 No

Heavy Rain PE Yes

Red Dead Redemption Yes

Fallout 3 GOTYE No

Uncharted 1 PE Yes

Uncharted 2 PE Yes

Mass Effect 2 Yes

Bioshock Yes

Oblivion Elder Scrolls No

Batman Arkham Asylum PE Yes

The Saboteur No

Valkyria Chronicles Yes

Demons Souls Yes

LA Noire Yes

Little Big Planet 2 No

Modnation Racers No

Resonance of Fate No

Devil May Cry 4 Yes

Portal 2 Yes

Metal Gear Solid 4 PE Yes

Mirror's Edge No

Burnout Paradise Yes

Ratchet and Clank : A Crack in Time Yes

Folklore No

Final Fantasy 13 No

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That's a fantastic list of games. As to your second question, I'd say that since most of those are single-player games, you really shouldn't worry too much about buying them used. If they were games in which you'd want to play multiplayer, check first on each individaul game to make sure that there isn't an online code included with only new copies. Other than that, good luck and have fun!

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By louiedog

Remember to take it slow. I had a friend who got a PS3 after it'd been out awhile and had no other current gen console. He ended up buying like 10 games at once, half of which were 20+ hours (like some on your list. Fallout, RDR, Final Fantasy, LA Noire, Obvlivion) and didn't get to most of them until they were way cheaper. He was kicking himself. Some of them he has yet to play, and it's been a couple of years.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Tsoglani

I would add God Of War to that list; either the collection or the third. Whichever way, they are excellent games.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By imsh_pl

A good list. I narrowed it down to what I think are the best titles:

Heavy Rain  
    Red Dead Redemption
    Fallout 3 GOTYE
    Uncharted 1 PE
    Uncharted 2 PE
    Mass Effect 2
    Bioshock 
    Batman Arkham Asylum PE 
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Demons Souls
    LA Noire
    Portal 2
    Metal Gear Solid 4 PE
    Burnout Paradise
    Ratchet and Clank : A Crack in Time

...plus these are my own recommendations:

Assassin's Creed II The game is an absolute blast to play. The gameplay stays fresh throughout the campaign, which is pretty hefty - I've played the game for 21 hours and still haven't finished it (but I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end). If you like it make sure to get Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
    God of War III Hack n' Slash at its finest. I'm absolutely sure you'll like it more than DMC 4. It would also be a good idea to check out God of War collection, which includes the first two games remastered and in HD. 
    inFamous Even if you don't dig the look I'd still suggest you check it out. It's an amazing game and you can propably get it dirt cheap right now (the sequel came out last month).
    Motorstorm/Motorstorm: Pacific Rift/Motorstorm: Apocalypse I noticed you put Burnout Paradise on your list so I think you'd like the Motorstorm series. It's all about crazy driving action in this one, and you can propably get it for a ridiculously low price (the first game still holds out pretty well imo).
    Mortal Kombat You don't have to like fighters to enjoy this one. I pretty much didn't have any fighting game experience before MK (aside from SSFIV, which is also an excellent game) and absolutely loved it - the game's story mode is the best you'll ever see in a fighting game, the gameplay is simple and doesn't require as much accuracy as, say, SSFIV.
    Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction If you like A Crack in Time you'll propably like this one too,it's an older game but it's also cheap because of it.

The PS3 has tons of amazing titles, you won't regret your purchase.

SevenFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SevenFlow

I would recommend any of the greatest hits they are all good and like others say don't get too many rpgs or long games try to get a game for each genre. 
    Uncahrted 2  
    Valkyria Chronicles  
    Batman AS 
    those should start you off but don't bite off more than you can chew

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By shadows_kill

Get Heavy Rain new just so you can get the little peice of paper so you can make your own origami bird!

Avatar image for hypotheticalsolution76
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to Giant Bomb. 

Your list has been approved by many-a-gamer and I recommend you heed the advice of others: take your time. Play what makes you happy. Also when you look around Giant Bomb, you can look at Quick Looks that range in time between 10 minutes and sometimes an hour at a game. The hosts here commentate and make the experience a lot of fun. When you search for games, the videos section will include the quick looks of some of the older games on your list. It's different here than say You Tube. 

As to question 2, all of the DLC codes and add on content work different for each game. Companies need to make a profit from their game sales in order to stay in business, and one way is to reward the person for buying new versus used. You'll decide a preference as you go along.

I agree with SevenFlow in that trying out the different genres can help. You'll find the style of the games, controls, graphics to your liking, and then customization, online play, story mode, Trophys, etc that you can enjoy. 

This community is growing everyday. Welcome aboard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've waited this long to get a new console, you might as well wait a while longer for the PS4. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.