PS3 possibly dead...in need of advice.

#1 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

I seriously need some advice. I'm currently waiting on the results on whether my PS3 is dead/dying. I was about to play Persona 4 and the system would just shut off with the red light in front of the console blinking continuously. I kind of assumed this day might come as my PS3 is an original 60gig model, and even though I take extremely good care of all my consoles, lady luck has never been on my side. I thought about sending it in to Sony, but have heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to that. I really don't want to deal with buying a used system, only because I have never had good luck with other people's electronics, also the fact that a lot of people sell their banned consoles. So my last route is to get a slim. My only problem with this is, I hate the design, and I really hate how limited everything is. I'm sure I'll miss the 4 USB ports, and I hate knowing I won't have the media reader, even though I never used it all that much it was still nice knowing it was there. Though I hear the slims are faster, quieter, and just all around run better. I know I have a PS2 laying around somewhere so the backwards compatibility isn't an issue. Plus I keep hearing a new redesign is in the works. I haven't a clue what I should do, and was hoping to get a little advice from others. Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

#2 Posted by ashenozzie (24 posts) -

This happened to me a while back, I got the slim model. I never used the media reader (Did I even have one?). I had the euro version so only so-so backwards compatibility anyways and the only thing I used the USBs for was charging the controllers/wireless headset.

I cannot say that there is an audible difference between the two models, you could possibly measure it, but at least for me there is none. I have not detected any speed difference either.

#3 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

To fix it first cover it in peanut butter and tape a toaster to it, then take some rope and tie one end to the console and the other end to a weight, now go outside and throw it over the power lines at this point the peanut butter should be attracting local wildlife, go inside now or else this won't work the animals should fix it for you overnight in their workshop.

If that doesn't work call these guys
#4 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

To fix it first cover it in peanut butter and tape a toaster to it, then take some rope and tie one end to the console and the other end to a weight, now go outside and throw it over the power lines at this point the peanut butter should be attracting local wildlife, go inside now or else this won't work the animals should fix it for you overnight in their workshop.

I tried that with my last PS3 and those animals did a pretty poor job if you ask me. I haven't tried calling those guys yet though, but I hear all they talk about is how awesome it is to get paid to play games...kind of weird if you ask me.

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

Where is this image from?

#6 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@Napalm: It was one of those awkward game college commercials that came on g4 all the time. I believe that one is Westwood.

#7 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Spiritgod: Oh, West Wood College Online. Okay, I thought you meant Westwood. Like, Command & Conquer?

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5542 posts) -

Depending on how much you use your ps3 you just may want to wait. I feel like the time is basically ripe for a redesign.

#9 Edited by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

Sorry, but it's probably likely to die. It seems to be pretty common with the 60gb ones. Mine died, also when playing a PS2 game. Sony will fix the console for an unreasonable price or offer a slim for some extra money. You will not be able to get your saves back. You can probably temporarily fix it if it dies, but it's eventually going to break again.

#10 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

You should probably call the service hotline. A few months ago, I was pretty sure my PS3 was dead, and called to see if I could have it fixed. The lady had me do a number of tests, and by the end it was working again. I did have to format the hard drive, but I'm over it.

#11 Edited by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

@Spiritgod: If you're not seeing the notorious yellow light, then it might possibly be the power supply, which is very simple to replace. Either way, I certainly wouldn't recommend sending it to Sony (if that's even possible), because they'll just send you back someone else's busted-ass console. And don't buy a new one without first having tried to fix the problem yourself.

@GunstarRed said:

You can probably temporarily fix it if it dies, but it's eventually going to break again.

Are you speaking from experience or just going by what others have said? My 60 GB launch model "died" over three years ago; I fixed it myself and have had zero issues since then.

#12 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

My PS3 suffered the same fate a year ago, and I ended up replacing it with a slim. It is much, much quieter, and does not seem to ingest nearly as much dust as the fat models do.

The blinking "red" light (as opposed to a blinking yellow one) can mean two things. Best case scenario, the red light indicates that your hard drive isn't properly seated. One of the first things Sony support will have you do is remove and then re-insert your hard drive in the PS3. If this works, consider yourself a lucky bastard.

The second and less fortunate indication is a "processor overheat." This is similar to the Xbox problem, where the heat-sink on the main processor loosens and fails to do its job. In my case, my PS3 would stay on for about three minutes at a time before powering itself down.

And don't let Sony talk you into sending it in and getting credit towards a slim - they will send you a refurbished unit (not that there's anything inherently wrong with refurbished stuff - it just seems kind of cheap on Sony's part.)

#13 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

@Spiritgod: If you're not seeing the notorious yellow light, then it might possibly be the power supply, which is very simple to replace. Either way, I certainly wouldn't recommend sending it to Sony (if that's even possible), because they'll just send you back someone else's busted-ass console. And don't buy a new one without first having tried to fix the problem yourself.

It first shows green for a slight second and then turns yellow for another slight second but then just blinks red. I would assume it isn't a power issue since the lights are still working, though I don't know. I called support to see if there was a quick fix, and ended up gambling on just getting it serviced. I was surprised on how cheap it was to be honest. I always heard the price to get an original fixed was in the $200 range and if that were the case then I'd rather buy a new slim. I was also surprised on the amount of time it takes to repair, again I heard horror stories of over 4 weeks but was guaranteed 7-10 days. I know its a gamble, but either way I'll end up with my original PS3 in working condition, another same model refurbished console, or will just wait for the new redesign and hope the old slims get a price drop. Of course I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix my console since I have my 500gig HD with all my data sitting on my desk.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4245 posts) -

Give it a Viking funeral. You have to be sure it's dead though, because if something's not dead and you give it a Viking funeral, well, some people don't like that. The word "murder" starts getting thrown around, and people generally start to get all fussy about it. Believe me. My Nana is still pissed off about it, no matter how many times I say sorry.

#15 Posted by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

@Catarrhal: experience

#16 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@DetectiveSpecial: I don't know if it was just my console, but mine was never that loud. I've heard people say theirs sounds like a jet plane or something, but I barely noticed mine was on. I'm sure it's louder than a slim, but never too loud that it would catch my attention.

#17 Posted by Lava (661 posts) -

@Spiritgod: If it is a serious problem try gophermods.com. They fix it for a lot cheaper than Sony will and they will save all your data and stuff. I've used them before, they are fast and reliable.

#18 Posted by Spiritgod (210 posts) -

@Lava said:

@Spiritgod: If it is a serious problem try gophermods.com. They fix it for a lot cheaper than Sony will and they will save all your data and stuff. I've used them before, they are fast and reliable.

Since I've already started the return to Sony, there isn't anything I can do. Though I will remember this site for future reference...especially now since I know it isn't a scam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.