Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 RLOD, Is there ANY way I can save my data?

edeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By edeo

I've played multiple run-throughs of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.  I've sunk too much time into my system to give up on getting my data back. 

I got the blinking red light in the middle of playing Dragon Age 2.  Everything froze up and if I turn the console on, I just get a blinking red light.  I can't get the game to eject at all. 

I bought a new PS3 Slim and I now have Playstation Plus to cover myself in case my PS3 craps out on me again. 

If I send my machine to Sony is it possible they can save my data and upload it to my Playstation Plus account?  Or will they not even consider this?  Is there anything I can do to ensure my DA:O and ME2 data isn't lost forever?

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By zidd

The hard disk in the PS3 is bound to the system it originated from. There is currently no way around it. Having said that data recovery on the ps3 is impossible.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Marcsman

If I send my machine to Sony is it possible they can save my data and upload it to my Playstation Plus account?  

Sorry man but Sony is gonna wipe that baby clean. For the record you can only DL data from cloud storage 24 hours after it has been uploaded.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Should've got PS+ and backed up the saves online.  

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By N7

Wait. A flashing red light? That just means your PS3 is overheating and to give it a rest.

If it's a yellow light, then you're boned.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By matthew
    @N7 said:
    " Wait. A flashing red light? That just means your PS3 is overheating and to give it a rest.  If it's a yellow light, then you're boned. "
    Nah, mine went yellow for a brief second, then it went flashing red. He could just be missing the split second of yellowness, its pretty fast.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By N7
    @Matthew said:
    " @N7 said:
    " Wait. A flashing red light? That just means your PS3 is overheating and to give it a rest.  If it's a yellow light, then you're boned. "
    Nah, mine went yellow for a brief second, then it went flashing red. He could just be missing the split second of yellowness, its pretty fast. "
    I see. I see.

It's probably the PS3 going "I think I can, I think I can!!" only to realize that it's already over.

My first PS3 died on the same day as Billy Mays. Just a few hours after.

I was drowning my sorrows in the Fight Night Round 4 demo and then everything went red. Luckily(And oh boy do I mean luckily), I knew what was happening and was fast enough to copy all of the data that I could, which was everything except the copy-protected saves. I ended up forgetting to deactivate my account though, so that sucked. :(
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PufferFiz

try getting someone to look at it, The chips may just need to be re soldered. If any of them are dead however then your fucked.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By yani

You can fix the YLOD if you're prepared to take a heat gun to the gpu and cpu.  While the fix isn't permanent, it will start working again, long enough to get the data anyway.   I did this 4 times before my blue ray drive failed.  Each time I carried out the repair, the length of time it worked for went down, but I got an extra 6-7 months out of it .

I did loose my protected saves though, including a 97% trophy save for AC2 which really pissed me off, as I couldn't get the data transfer to work.  

edeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By edeo

Thanks for all the advice so far.   Giant Bomb attracts a good crowd. 

I'm thinking about sending it in for repair.   I should probably change my PS3 account password before doing so since my credit card info is on my PS3.

I think that will take care of my two objectives.  1)  Get my DA2 disc out of my system  2) Get my PS3 working long enough to upload my saves to Playstation Plus. 

Anyone know of any services that are worth my time/money?  There's a place here in Fresno, CA called fresnopc.net  It's the only place I've found in Fresno for PS3 repair.  However, I looked up some reviews on them online and one said that they're pretty shady with reports of them being a sham. 

A friend of mine in San Jose recommended a local guy bayareacomputerman.com.  He gave him a pretty glowing review.   I'd have to take a day trip down there or ship it.

Who can I trust to get my PS3 working long enough to do this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.