Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Slim blu-ray skipping after 10 min of playback

zeezkos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zeezkos

All of a sudden in the middle of a blu-ray film my ps3 started stuttering adn skipping while my friend and I were watching. I figured it was a dirty/scratched disc but that wasn't the case. Tried a film I had seen a few days earlier with no issue and it didn't work.

Now, the ps3 will play a blu-ray for about 5-10 minutes flawlessly, but then start skipping after that. This made me think that the laser can't be the problem, but I really do not know. Is the ps3 overheating and that is affecting the playback? I can play installed games (lbp2 via playstation plus) for hours just fine. on a cold boot, the discs will load fine. after trying a blu-ray for 10 minutes and having issues, sometimes i will get an 'invalid disc' error.

Remedies I have tried:

1) using a vacuum to pull out dust from vents

2) using the ps3 fan test (i've heard good and bad)

3) using a lens cleaner

4) using the safe mode to do a File system rebuild

5) a system restore

So.. I forgot to backup stuff and lost my save games etc, but no big deal.. PS+ remembers who i am (i believe i deactivated the stuff before formatting.. must make sure before i try again).

Any thoughts? Why would the laser work fine for 10 mintues and then crap out? does it have a heat sensor? It's exactly 2 years old, so i'm out of warranty. I'm told that service + S&H = 150-200 + turnaround time. new ps3 = 250.. DIY repair = 50-75. Local repair = 100ish.. if i find one. Sony + local repairs = 90 day warranty, so I may just buy a new one.

thanks in advance

EDIT: ps, how do i make sure that the games I downloaded via PS+ for free will remain available to me? I know they should, but how do i double check that I have indeed "bought" them for zero dollars and therefore will continue to be able to d/l them?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

Using a a vacuum cleaner on electronics is a great way to creat static shocks that can kill your electronics. Always use compressed air cans

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By stinky

is it just one blu-ray disc or many?

have you tried cleaning the actual disc?

zeezkos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By zeezkos

I've tried many of my blu-rays and they're all skipping or giving playback errors, now. I just tried putting in a game that I had previously played and installed and it is stuck on the loading screen getting nowhere.

Still plays dvds fine.

Just downloaded the latest update, too. I'm just not certain I understand why the laser would work fine for a few minutes and then crap out.. i would have thought it would be crapped out to begin with and not play fine for a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.