PS3: what has changed over the years?

#1 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

I'm sort of familiar with the features of the Launch PS3, but what
has changed in regards to the online service features?  What's
now free, that wasn't free, or remained the same?  What has
been made better?  What has really made it an excellent system?
And what really sucks about it now compared to launch, if anything?

#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

it's basically the same and what makes it great is that it plays games.

#3 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@Lind_L_Taylor:  
Playstation plus is really the only thing that's changed, to play and chat online is still free, the web browser is still shit and it still plays Blurays and great games,
#4 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

The PS3 is all about the exclusive titles, which are the one thing that has gotten significantly better since launch. I have had little to no problems with the online service, and by that I mean connection issues or dropped games.   
Everything else is just preference based.  

Although, in the "con" department - the Blu-ray drive is seriously outdated. Since the launch of the PS3, Blu-ray read speeds and function have improved drastically. If you purchase a new Blu-ray player, you'll notice the load times for the menus and functions is much faster than the PS3's. 

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -

Yo remember when Sony thought rumble was the past and sixaxis was the future... yeah they changed that.

#6 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

It's, for all intents and purposes, always been like the way it is now. They tweaked the UI a couple times and added dynamic themes but there's not been much else in terms of features. They've never put anything that was previously free behind a pay wall. The only thing you have to pay for is the right to pay less for other things. Some would argue that taking out Other OS is what really sucks about it, but I really don't care and neither should you. 

Now that I've answered your questions, answer one of mine: Why do you always format your words like that?

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:

Yo remember when Sony thought rumble was the past and sixaxis was the future... yeah they changed that.

Remember when they thought that melting a baby's mind was the best way to advertise their product? Yeah, they changed that.
#8 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

@Lind_L_Taylor: They took out Linux or 'other OS' option. Other than that, multiplayer/online store access are still free. The online game library has definitely grown with lots of gems here and there. Main reason to buy one is PS3 exclusive games. Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, Resistance, Killzone, to name a few. These already have sequels, and each iteration of these franchises are all pretty good. PS3 is also one of the best quality Blu-ray players in the market with optional 24Hz cinematic output (if your TV has that capability) as well as built in Netflix, Vudu, and Hulu streaming services. Reason to NOT buy one: if you're poor and you need money for food and shelter.

#9 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@Akrid:  See blog.

I was wondering if there was a "pay wall" being put in place but
evidently not. That's good to know.  That is a bummer you can't
run Linux. Didn't even know it had that feature to start, pretty
innovative.

@defaulttag
Yeah the PS3 seems to have some powerful exclusives & they
appear to never leave the console over time either, like other
exclusives have on some other platforms. Not even PC even.

The system seems to have a lot more flexibility & customization
without pay walls, even if backwards compatibility & Other OS
were removed (maybe they'll bring it back in the PS4).
#10 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I'm still to broke to afford one :(

#11 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Still lacks cross game chat and the Xbox Live party system. In-game XMB is horrible.

Trophy syncing is slow and a bit clunky, trophies aren't ntegrated into the system as well as the Xbox achievements are.

It's still a good console.

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3392 posts) -

A lot has changed with the PS3 since it first launched, really. A bunch of different features have been nailed onto the XMB that originally weren't there and some features have been removed. Some of these additions have been a case of Sony playing catch-up with the 360's feature set, like the in-game XMB, and in some cases they're just not implemented as well (trophies and custom soundtrack support are good examples). Of course, other features are reportedly better - Netflix, for instance (I wouldn't know, being from Aus).

If you don't own multiple platforms you're not likely to really notice, though, and it's a case of "You get what you pay for" I suppose. I do wonder if the PS3's user experience would be much improved if Sony had have had a program like Playstation Plus from the outset. I wish Sony had had a bit more foresight when it came to the system's UI and online features, it feels to me like the XMB has held them back to some extent. I don't know if the system would allow for it, but I really do think the PS3 could do with a complete overhaul of its OS - keep the core structure of the XMB, sure, but I'd rather see all of the features that have been added over the years better implemented so that they feel less bolted-on.

The PS3's line-up of exclusives has gone from strength to strength over the last few years and looks like it'll be stronger than the 360's line-up for the foreseeable future as Microsoft decide to focus on first party kinect titles and hope that new a Halo, Gears and Forza, along with Kinect integration into 3rd party titles like Mass Effect and Ghost Recon will satiate the enthusiast audience. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Microsoft pushing Kinect games and attempting to capture the Wii's market, but there's a lot more they could be doing to keep their existing customers happy.

We've also finally been seeing some real parity between the quality of multiplatform games on the PS3 and 360 over the last 12 months, hell, Shadows of the Damned shows us that even UE3 titles can perform just as well on the PS3 as on the 360 (SotD actually appears to be marginally better on the PS3). So if you're choosing one system over the other right now the performance of multiplatform games isn't the factor it used to be.

At launch the Sixaxis didn't have any kind of force feedback, the Dual Shock 3 has rectified that, though outside of the d-pad (and to a lesser extend the face buttons) the controller is still arguably inferior to its 360 counterpart - this really comes down to a matter of preference, though.

Beyond all of that there have been a bunch of other changes of varying size since launch including wider support for different video codecs, a video editor, a photo app, Playstation Home, 3D support, Playstation Move etc. I'm sure if you were to list them all it would prove to be quite substantial.

I still have a preference for my 360 when it comes to online features, user experience (including things like patching), achievements and the controller. But the PS3 is certainly a system worth owning and a system worthy of being purchased as your one console of choice if it comes down to it.

#13 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@MEATBALL:  Man, that's weird how it seems Sony & Microsoft are staying
out of each other's spaces.  One company does one set of things better than
the other & vice versa & there isn't much overlap.  Like Coke vs Pepsi.  And
then pick on the little guy: Nintendo.  Sony did it when it came out with the
Playstation 1, now Microsoft stealing market by making itself look like a Wii.

I don't plan on buying a Kinect.  Don't feel like talking to my TV set for ME 3.
I bet issuing orders gets old fast.  Saying the lines sort of goes with LARP,
but if Sheperd is going to paraphrase what you say anyway, it's like having
to say the same thing twice.  They should mute Shepherd for such a feature.

I was kind of hoping the PS3 would be the one system to do it all, but it's
not quite there.  Maybe Sony & Microsoft have joined forces & are not exactly
competing in the same spaces, so you can't just go with one over the other.
That seems like the kind of shit Sony/Microsoft would get into.
#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (16108 posts) -

@DetectiveSpecial said:

The PS3 is all about the exclusive titles, which are the one thing that has gotten significantly better since launch. I have had little to no problems with the online service, and by that I mean connection issues or dropped games. Everything else is just preference based. Although, in the "con" department - the Blu-ray drive is seriously outdated. Since the launch of the PS3, Blu-ray read speeds and function have improved drastically. If you purchase a new Blu-ray player, you'll notice the load times for the menus and functions is much faster than the PS3's.

I don't agree with that. I have 3 Blu-ray players in my household, the most recent being an LG (can't remember model number and I'm at work) but the PS3 is still the snappiest.

#15 Posted by swamplord666 (1763 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

but... ps3 has no gaems.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@swamplord666 said:

@kingzetta said:

but... ps3 has no gaems.

Well that is incorrect
#17 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

If you simply look up playstation 3 on wikipedia there is a full chart of every ps3 sku along with each models features.

#18 Posted by Branthog (5592 posts) -

They've removed legacy support of PS2 games, other OS installations, removed some USB ports, and introduced a $60/yr pay-for subscription service that doesn't really get you anything other than the ability to play some demos for an hour and automatic patch downloading (ooooh, so amazing). It still remains far less played than my 360, but played way more than my Wii (which I haven't even seen since I moved a year and a half ago and haven't played in three years).

#19 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

It's better as a multimedia platform than a hardcore gaming device. PSN is still inferior to Xbox Live in terms of both connection quality and services. But in terms of the variety of multimedia features, it blows the Xbox 360 away. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.