Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3: Worth it or not?

StrangerDanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StrangerDanger

I don't really know where to post this (Just screams Giant Bomb noob, doesn't it?) so I decided to post it here (Of course.)
    I've been thinking about getting a new game system and the first choices that came to my head were PS3 and XBOX 360.
    Since Little Big Planet is on PS3 (not to mention, it looks amazingly amusing) and that PS3 looks like it's realeasing some neat-o games, I thought that buying the system would be a good choice.
    Then again, some of my favorite games are on XBOX 360, like Dead Rising and such, a XBOX 360 would be a good choice as well.
    Then I made one of my friends *cough*shadows_kill*un-cough* do some math, and the prices were about the same. ($400 for an XBOX if you buy LIVE and some other crap I want for it.)

Ugh, I'm rambling on. Sorry.

Someone give me some pros and cons? Please and thank you!

Chupacabra24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chupacabra24

The Illustrious Chupster declares that it all depends on what exclusive games that you want.  Having all three current systems, the Goatsucker of Insane Chronic Consumption has found that the differences between games that appear on each system are negligible, and thus it is all a matter of what exclusive titles you wish to play.

That said, the PlayStation 3 gets an Award of Most High Highness for being able to play BluRay disks and most forms of high definition media (with some free online conversion tools of Incredible Awesomenicity).  The 360, naturally, can play HD media as well, but it has to be in wmv format with very specific audio, and the Almighty Chupacabra declares that he Doesn't Like That At All, Not One Single Solitary Bit, for yea verily it is typically a bitch and a half (and who wants to go through all of that trouble with the sawing and the screaming) to convert files to 360-compliancy, and that is just plain evil.

And the new 360 dashboard sucks the ass end out of a skunk.  And the Almighty Chupster has just received back his 360 after its second Red Ring of Deathly Suck, and yea verily, that is a feature that the PS3, thankfully, does not have.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I prefer the PS3, but both systems are good. You should just see which one will give you more.

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By siLVUR

I found mine to be totally worth it.

Of course I don't have a 360 to compare, then again I got the Motorstorm 80 GB package for $440 Canadian. So I'm all good.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By chililili

Go for the ps3, that's what I chose and I had the same options as you did.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Coltonio7

Alright, if you're really into screwing with things get a PS3. Little Big Planet+The pretty interesting downloadable games.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gameboi

Yup. My name is blue for a reason.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TEAMHOLT

I love my PS3, but I play way more games on my 360. It's got more exclusives, and cross-platform games still usually perform better on the 360 than the PS3.

Cman107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cman107

I would choose PS3, but then again thats the only system I own thats this gen (besides a Wii, but you don't want the Wii, right?).

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ditto. The only thing about PS3 that is a true drawback (in my opinion of course) is the way updates are handled. They're completely painless on 360, but usually take forever with PS3. Any update of decent size could  take several minutes to download then another few minutes to install, giving you just enough time to lose interest in what you were going to do. Inferior ports is also an issue, but I believe that problem will work itself out in time.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 said:
    "Ditto. The only thing about PS3 that is a true drawback (in my opinion of course) is the way updates are handled. They're completely painless on 360, but usually take forever with PS3. Any update of decent size could  take several minutes to download then another few minutes to install, giving you just enough time to lose interest in what you were going to do. Inferior ports is also an issue, but I believe that problem will work itself out in time."
    huh? i go into updates fully knowing theres going to be an update when i turn it on. just check the playstation blog occasionally. 

i would go with ps3, now that it has an equally impressive slate of exclusive games as 360  already out plus some sequels like Killzone 2, God of War 3, and Uncharted 2 and many more on the way!
    and if you have an hdtv, you need a blu-ray player asap
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo
    StrangerDanger said:
    "

I don't really know where to post this (Just screams Giant Bomb noob, doesn't it?) so I decided to post it here (Of course.)
    I've been thinking about getting a new game system and the first choices that came to my head were PS3 and XBOX 360.
    Since Little Big Planet is on PS3 (not to mention, it looks amazingly amusing) and that PS3 looks like it's realeasing some neat-o games, I thought that buying the system would be a good choice.
    Then again, some of my favorite games are on XBOX 360, like Dead Rising and such, a XBOX 360 would be a good choice as well.
    Then I made one of my friends *cough*shadows_kill*un-cough* do some math, and the prices were about the same. ($400 for an XBOX if you buy LIVE and some other crap I want for it.)

"
    No need for pros and cons, the Xbox wins. Unless you really care about blu-ray, Xbox 360 should be a prime choice. It just has a lot more features, is cheaper, usually has the better multi-platform titles, and a better online. Not even trying to dis the PS3, but I was not satisfied with my purchase, possibly because I was already so deep into achievements on the Xbox, and had previously had XBL on the original Xbox system. Either way just do a bit of research and choose what caters to your "needs."
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Vinchenzo said:
    "StrangerDanger said:
    "

"
    No need for pros and cons, the Xbox wins. Unless you really care about blu-ray, Xbox 360 should be a prime choice. It just has a lot more features, is cheaper, usually has the better multi-platform titles, and a better online. Not even trying to dis the PS3, but I was not satisfied with my purchase, possibly because I was already so deep into achievements on the Xbox, and had previously had XBL on the original Xbox system. Either way just do a bit of research and choose what caters to your "needs.""
    more features? what better multiplat titles? they're multiplat, same. lol 
    online costs $50 so of course its slightly better. 
    i have both in my house and i agree that once you get hooked on achievements its hard to let up. but ps3 has trophies now and i gotta say, once you get into that its far more rewarding, feels like you have something more meaningful than just a number like on xbox. and dude, its not "unless you really care about blu-ray", ya gotta think this guy likes LittleBigPlanet, and i'm sure he wouldn't mind trying out Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank Future, WipEout HD, Warhawk, Killzone 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 etc etc etc etc. 
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    TwoOneFive said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "StrangerDanger said:
    "

"
    No need for pros and cons, the Xbox wins. Unless you really care about blu-ray, Xbox 360 should be a prime choice. It just has a lot more features, is cheaper, usually has the better multi-platform titles, and a better online. Not even trying to dis the PS3, but I was not satisfied with my purchase, possibly because I was already so deep into achievements on the Xbox, and had previously had XBL on the original Xbox system. Either way just do a bit of research and choose what caters to your "needs.""
    i have both in my house and i agree that once you get hooked on achievements its hard to let up. but ps3 has trophies now and i gotta say, once you get into that its far more rewarding, feels like you have something more meaningful than just a number like on xbox. and dude, its not "unless you really care about blu-ray", ya gotta think this guy likes LittleBigPlanet, and i'm sure he wouldn't mind trying out Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank Future, WipEout HD, Warhawk, Killzone 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 etc etc etc etc. 
    "
    Even though multiplatform titles are generally the same, they also sometimes have minor differences (e.g. Fallout and the frame-rate). Online costs $50 indeed, but since Sony can't sack up and just make decent online functionality and interface, that's an easy win. Trophies? No, not more rewarding. Maybe the whole platinum trophy, but not really anything else. As far as your list of games goes, those are the only games that differentiate from the 360. I still haven't tried them on my PS3, well Ratchet and Clank and MGS4 I did.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Vinchenzo said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "StrangerDanger said:
    "

"
    "
    Even though multiplatform titles are generally the same, they also sometimes have minor differences (e.g. Fallout and the frame-rate). Online costs $50 indeed, but since Sony can't sack up and just make decent online functionality and interface, that's an easy win. Trophies? No, not more rewarding. Maybe the whole platinum trophy, but not really anything else. As far as your list of games goes, those are the only games that differentiate from the 360. I still haven't tried them on my PS3, well Ratchet and Clank and MGS4 I did."
    everyone on psn has a profile, like a gamercard, and i we can compare every single trophy we have. and you level up everytime you reach a certain amount of trophies, its far more rewarding than an almost meaningless number displayed on your profile. 
    home, albeit not for everyone, is being accepted mostly positively by people, and its a going to have awesome exclusive stuff for games. 
    theres pleanty of games that 360 doesn't have, the only games i can think of that make 360 worth buying are gears and halo. fable is so-so, played it and beat it under 10 hours, thats not cool especially for an rpg. 
    theres a lot of really good ps3 exclusives and many more that aren't even out yet. and you're like saying "those are the only games that..." ONLY?! i listed 10 games dude, and theres a lot more. 
    Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Echelon730

This generation is so balanced the little things make the difference any more. I think the 360 is a better console because of its library and services offered. But PS3 has good games of 09 so I can't really say but for me KZ2 is the tipping point for keep or sell of my PS3

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Ish

PS3 is probably better.

And Echelon is right, this generation is the most balanced. Unfortunately, I think it's also the worst. The PC is the only thing I play games on nowadays and I feel like I wasted all that money when I look at my consoles.

kingofwilsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingofwilsons

2 words: Xbox LIVE

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK

I own all three, but if I had to choose I'd probably keep the PS3.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coakroach
    kingofwilsons said:
    "2 words: Xbox LIVE"
    Monthly. Payment.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

It's totally up to you, my friend. 100% subjective on what you want.

You mention games for both systems you'd enjoy but you also correctly mention that speccing your 360 up to do the things PS3 does out of the box will cost you a smidgeon more than Microsoft would like the uninformed consumer to know.

If you have an HD TV remember that the PS3 is a BluRay player. That's worth mentioning if you watch lots of movies because there is an unbelievable difference.

Also you might want to couple in Sony's proposed '09 lineup with Uncharted 2, God Of War III, Killzone 2, inFamous, MAG, Gran Turismo 5 and Heavy Rain all touted to land in and around the year. You can bet your bottom dollar that even if some of those slip to 2010 releases you'll be playing 4 or 5 of those games this time next year. Worth considering.

You also have all the previous exclusives: Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 1 & 2, Motorstorm 1 & 2, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, etc. And you have your PSN games which are less like 5 minute throwaways and more like full games, e.g: Wipeout HD, Siren Blood Curse, Quest For Booty, PixelJunk Monsters.

You also have all your multiplatform games on the PS3, which don't believe the hype, are generally all the same. Granted Fallout 3 and The Orange Box are exceptions where the developers put out lazy ports. I believe the likes of Ubisoft and EA are now running the charge for developers switching to PS3 as their lead platform now... I can only assume that this means multiplatform versions of PS3 games will be treated much better but I'm not fully enough aware of the systems architecture and coding in general so don't take my word for that. What I can tell you is that all my multiplatform games run perfectly well... and games like CoD4 mathmake quicker on PSN than Live (from what I've experienced - it may just be a stressed Live day that caused this).

It's worth drafting in aswell that the PS3 has free online which packs all the "necessary" (subjective: depends upon what you want) features of XBOX Live and the hardware is much more reliable (I don't think anyone would disagree with that would they?)

Playstation Home, which may not be for you, is out tomorrow and is free regardless so you can give or take it. Either way that's hopefully going to grow into a nice little open world community.

I suppose it's now up to someone who regularly uses a 360 to explains all the benefits of that system and allow our original poster to make up his mind.

EDIT: Vinchenzo did you just suggest the original XBOX had achievements or did I read your post wrong?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo
    coakroach said:
    "kingofwilsons said:
    Monthly. Payment."
    Thanks for clarifying that you are poor and can't afford $50 a year.

TwoOneFive said:
    "everyone on psn has a profile, like a gamercard, and i we can compare every single trophy we have. and you level up everytime you reach a certain amount of trophies, its far more rewarding than an almost meaningless number displayed on your profile. 
    home, albeit not for everyone, is being accepted mostly positively by people, and its a going to have awesome exclusive stuff for games. 
    theres pleanty of games that 360 doesn't have, the only games i can think of that make 360 worth buying are gears and halo. fable is so-so, played it and beat it under 10 hours, thats not cool especially for an rpg. 
    theres a lot of really good ps3 exclusives and many more that aren't even out yet. and you're like saying "those are the only games that..." ONLY?! i listed 10 games dude, and theres a lot more. 
    "

Trophies are just a different way of displaying numbers, and it's less rewarding, still, in my opinion. I'd rather see large digits than a trophy. However, this wasn't meant to be a flame war on the PS3. People can buy PS3 if they want [obviously], but from my personal experience it is not worth it. Regardless if I have invested too much in Xbox already, I just feel it is the better system. It was the opposite last gen where I had a PS2 and was iffy on getting an Xbox, so it's not that I hate Sony, just what they are doing with their console.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By get2sammyb
    Vinchenzo said:
    "coakroach said:
    "kingofwilsons said:
    Monthly. Payment."
    Not to shoot down your generally fair post but... I don't think it's got a question of whether people are "poor" or not. It's about the consumer making a decision of the value of the service.

For me personally, in the region I live and having been a big Live gamer in the last generation, the community is one of the biggest things that put me off XBOX Live and eventually lead to the departure of my 360. I absolutely hate interrupting my game to mute people... and man, Halo 2 and to some degree Perfect Dark -- that's all I spent my time doing.

Maybe PS3 is only better because they don't package a microphone and coupled with the free price tag would actually be worse if they did but... Gah, from my personal experiences (and these, of course will vary; being English really doesn't help!) I don't understand why people suggest the quieter nature of PSN is a bad thing.

XBOX Live is a bit like GameTrailer's forums but with microphones and a mute button.

Of course, this is, again all subjective and totally based on my own personal experiences with the two systems.
    foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By foxhound421

if you look forward to playing a lot of games online (particularly shooters) i'd get the 360 because i find Xbox Live to be much more active and -in some cases- more stable.

if you're more of a solo gamer i'd get the PS3. also, if it factors into your decision, there are a lot of great, unique and original downloadable games on PSN. Xbox Live Arcade is about 90% utter crap.

i have both systems and, aside from exclusives that's pretty much how i use them. it's a tough decision because, unlike some fanboys would have you believe, they're both really great systems with their own perks. PS3's exclusives do look really strong for 2009, but the 360 already has a lot of awesome exclusives out there.

i will throw in one shameless fanboy plug though and say that MGS4 is best video game i've EVER played and the PS3 is, IMO, worth the price for that game alone. sorry, had to say it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shadows_kill

yes get the ps3 :D

StrangerDanger said:

"

*cough*shadows_kill*un-cough*

"

:P
    StrangerDanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StrangerDanger

Thanks for answering, guys.
    I've made my choice.
    P.S. BTW, TwoOneFive I'm a girl. kthnx.

foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By foxhound421

so what WAS your decision?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's a girl, duh! She decided to buy cooking utensils instead.

Just joshing :P

I own all three consoles and the 360 is definitely getting the most use. Trophies haven't gripped me at all.
    And seeing as the 360 version is almost always superior to the PS3 version I get all my multiplats on that.
    Though the PS3 does have some good games on the horizon, the quality back catalogue that the 360 has amassed now makes it a clear choice.
    And seriously, 50 bucks a year? Even in this economic crisis that is chickenfeed when spanned over a year.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Keeng
    TeflonBilly said:
    "She's a girl, duh! She decided to buy cooking utensils instead.

Just joshing :P

I own all three consoles and the 360 is definitely getting the most use. Trophies haven't gripped me at all.
    And seeing as the 360 version is almost always superior to the PS3 version I get all my multiplats on that.
    Though the PS3 does have some good games on the horizon, the quality back catalogue that the 360 has amassed now makes it a clear choice.
    And seriously, 50 bucks a year? Even in this economic crisis that is chickenfeed when spanned over a year."

I'm as big a supporter of PS3 as you're likely to find, but I have to agree with your point here. Games are expensive. A lot of people don't have the cash get all the games they want in a year at $60 even if they're spread out. BUT $50 for an entire year of Live is not that much!
    ...wait, what am I saying. On the off chance that 360 exists for another three years, people will have spent $300 on Live to keep playing online. That's almost six games which is more games than I get in a year. I think I just argued with myself...oh well, carry on.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont want to make your choice for you. I will merely say that I have had a 360(which broke twice, then I gave up) and currently own a ps3 which I am more than happy with. Well except for home..lmao

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Vinchenzo said:
    "coakroach said:
    "kingofwilsons said:
    Monthly. Payment."

It's not a matter of being poor, but more a matter of it's $50 too much. On top of that, there are a bunch of different charges that PS3 owners just don't deal with. For now at least.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I play most of my games on 360 but I believe Without PS3 gaming experience is somehow incomplete , you really can not miss games like MGS 4 , Little big plant , uncharted , God of War 2 and so many others …………………..

Also if you are a Blu-ray movie nuts you should buy a PS3 ASAP

Booneabal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Booneabal

In general I find it breaks this way - if you are a "core gamer" with few interests outside of gaming and you like orthodox games rather than innovative ones the 360 will more than serve your needs.
    If you are an AV enthusiast, have a wide range of interest or are a mature gamer who has seen it all and want to see games that innovate and mix genres e.t.c. then you may be happier with a PS3. I have had one since the dark days of the drought and it really has hit its stride. Sure PSN isn't bloated with generic content, just a few innovative, exclusive gems that for a gamer that has seen it all really make it interesting again.
    The PS3 continues to surprise, the Xbox continues to deliver (more of...)  so its just a matter of which emotion you prefer satisfaction of your expectations or exceeding them?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.