Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PSN account on multiple ps3's

wazp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By wazp

Hi all

I'm gonna move to the USA for about a year. I will leave my ps3 at home (my sis will borrow it) and I'm planning on picking up a new ps3 slim while being in the US.

Now, my question is two-fold;

1. Can I add my current PSN account to the new ps3 slim in the US? Will there be DRM consequences in any way, as in do I have to remove the account from my current ps3 etc?

2. Since I can't seem to find a way to change country on my current account, will I be able to connect to the US store, and most of all, get the extra services they have as in Netflix, the Video store etc?

It basically all boils down to that I don't want to get a shitload of trophies on a new, most probably temporary, account while being in the US.

Anyone have any experience regarding this sort of stuff?

Thanks in advance,

Wazp

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

i'm not sure if there will be any problems. i do know that u can transfer accounts to different ps3.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By juanvaldes

I suspect you can login with your current account. Not sure if it would "boot" your sister offline if she happened to be logged in at the same time or not. But I would imagine that you would still be a "foreign" account and connect to your native servers not the US servers. As such you'd not have access to the US store or other region limited features eg Netflix.  

That said you could just make a new PSN account for use when your in the US.  Sucks but at least its free. :-/ 

Of course this is just guesses on my part I have no concrete knowledge.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By CharleyTony

isnt that the way  to share your downloadable games ???? 

hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By hypnotoad8128
    @CharleyTony: Sharing of games on PSN is against the terms of service and shouldn't be done. Just another form of piracy really.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By CharleyTony
    @hypnotoad8128 said:

" @CharleyTony: Sharing of games on PSN is against the terms of service and shouldn't be done. Just another form of piracy really. "

I think that Sony actually said that when you buy downloadable games you are allowed to install it on up to 5 ps3s. 
    Who has 5 PS3 ? 

of course you cannot do this with stangers since you need to allow them to access your account.     
    If someone choses to do this I would still recommend purchasing content with prepaid cards instead of entering your credit card information on that account.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

You could "deactivate" your account on your current PS3 and reactivate it on your new. But as somebody else said, you won't be able to access the US store, only the one from your region.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By chililili

Everyone who commented above me is wrong

Official Sony Stance on gamesharing: its OK (but that's another issue)

Regarding your account I can definitely tell you that you will be able to log on with no problem whatsoever on your other ps3. You can download your old games by going to "my download list" in the top right corner of the store, there you can see previously offloaded games and demos (not movies). You will NOT be able to purchase or rent anything from the US video store whilst outside of the US, however you will be able to browse. You will also be able to purchase and use games from the US store as normal. Your region is locked to your ps3 account, not the location of your actual ps3 or where you bought it, that's why a European can have access to the US store with no problem at all.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

@chililili

wazp said:

" 2. Since I can't seem to find a way to change country on my current account, will I be able to connect to the US store, and most of all, get the extra services they have as in Netflix, the Video store etc?  It basically all boils down to that I don't want to get a shitload of trophies on a new, most probably temporary, account while being in the US. "

He will not be able to connect to the US store with his account. He will have to create a new one, much to his disappointment.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SSully

You might have a problem connecting to the store if your account is from a different country, but it should be ok. I use two ps3's, download content on one, share it to the other one etc. No troubles at all.

wazp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wazp

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated! 

I'm gonna deactivate my account on the current ps3 while having it borrowed to my sister for sure. she doesn't really need online play for that matter as well, heh. 

I reckon I'll go with two accounts then - one for playing (the current one for trophies etc) and one for buying and watching movies on the US Store :)

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nanikore
    @CharleyTony:  
    This man has 23 PS3s.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.