Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PSN is better then Xbox Live

• 175 results
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By BiggerBomb

This needs to be locked....

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Demilich
    chililili said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Actually,no, it isn't completely subjective, the "world', may not be black and white, but this topic is as simple as it states, as so many people have pointed out. It doesn't matter if someone prefers PSN to Live, the absolute undisputable fact, at this point, is this: Live is ahead of PSN, and it will stay that way throughout the whole generation. Live IS better than PSN, and that is not going to change, just judging by what Sony hasn't done yet, or says they can't do. This topic, is that simple. As I said, if you want to prefer PSN over Live, or you simply like i better in general, yes THAT, is an opinion that you are open to, but it being "better", is not one."
    Exactly!
    I'm a piece of shit asshole, that's a fact. But some people still like me, that's their preference which is subjective."
    But if we approach life by thinking that everything is subjective we can have an argument about anything forever without it having a chance of resolving! Descartes FTW! Lets all be skeptics! Language is after all our only way of communicating and it is subjective as well! But since language is subjective my very definition of subjectiveness is open to interpretation and useless.

I love when a position is so convoluted that it eats itself up.

Lets end the useless part of the argument:
    FACT
    PSN does not have a feature that differs it from Live substantially
    LIve has many features that are non-existent in PSN or superior than their PSN counterparts
    Live costs money for a service that is free and just as good in say, a PC

We can argue about this:
    OPINION
    Is live worth the money?
    No, and the whole "its cheap" is a stupid argument which I personally dislike. Its like people who buy crappy 1 dollar movies and sit through that drivel simply because its cheap. I believe in spending money on things you personally like or need, and that htings that cost even 1 dollar can be overpriced.
    Will PSN catch up to Live this generation?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: No, I think we will see all of Live's features in the alst games of the ps3 but these features will not be supported on older games (except perhaps popular ones), however I think the ps4 will have a comparable or equal system to live at launch.
    Which communtiy is better?
    I like the people in PSN better, there seems to be a bit less of a douchebag mentality and far less 13 year olds playing around, but maybe that's just the games that I like."
    Not even comparable.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By LiquidPrince
    chililili said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Actually,no, it isn't completely subjective, the "world', may not be black and white, but this topic is as simple as it states, as so many people have pointed out. It doesn't matter if someone prefers PSN to Live, the absolute undisputable fact, at this point, is this: Live is ahead of PSN, and it will stay that way throughout the whole generation. Live IS better than PSN, and that is not going to change, just judging by what Sony hasn't done yet, or says they can't do. This topic, is that simple. As I said, if you want to prefer PSN over Live, or you simply like i better in general, yes THAT, is an opinion that you are open to, but it being "better", is not one."
    Exactly!
    I'm a piece of shit asshole, that's a fact. But some people still like me, that's their preference which is subjective."
    But if we approach life by thinking that everything is subjective we can have an argument about anything forever without it having a chance of resolving! Descartes FTW! Lets all be skeptics! Language is after all our only way of communicating and it is subjective as well! But since language is subjective my very definition of subjectiveness is open to interpretation and useless.

I love when a position is so convoluted that it eats itself up.

Lets end the useless part of the argument:
    FACT
    PSN does not have a feature that differs it from Live substantially
    LIve has many features that are non-existent in PSN or superior than their PSN counterparts
    Live costs money for a service that is free and just as good in say, a PC

We can argue about this:
    OPINION
    Is live worth the money?
    No, and the whole "its cheap" is a stupid argument which I personally dislike. Its like people who buy crappy 1 dollar movies and sit through that drivel simply because its cheap. I believe in spending money on things you personally like or need, and that htings that cost even 1 dollar can be overpriced.
    Will PSN catch up to Live this generation?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: No, I think we will see all of Live's features in the alst games of the ps3 but these features will not be supported on older games (except perhaps popular ones), however I think the ps4 will have a comparable or equal system to live at launch.
    Which communtiy is better?
    I like the people in PSN better, there seems to be a bit less of a douchebag mentality and far less 13 year olds playing around, but maybe that's just the games that I like."

Well said, although everything you just said is subjective...

I kid...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By pause422

I agree, everything that's been said is just being repeated at this point. Its a pointless thread. And no, there is no equally wrong, there is a right and a wrong here, and you are in the latter.

xXTharosXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By xXTharosXx

Live is ahead. Period.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Demilich

Can't we just accept that XBL is better, but paying for it is retarded?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Demilich said:
    "Can't we just accept that XBL is better, but paying for it is retarded?"
    I think the best way to put it is:

LIVE is better, but not by much, and having to pay for it is retarded.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Demilich
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Demilich said:
    "Can't we just accept that XBL is better, but paying for it is retarded?"
    I think the best way to put it is:

LIVE is better, but not by much, and having to pay for it is retarded."
    I agree.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By pause422

Yes, that is the simple message here that everyone should easily see. Topic is done.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By BiggerBomb

*Shakes head wearily*

xXTharosXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By xXTharosXx

Live will be better for this console generation and likely the foreseeable future. But i could be wrong....

GweedyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By GweedyJ

Well PSN could be the best damn online service in the world and it would still lack one of the biggest thing live has over it.....GAMES. Little big planet does not seem worth the cost of a ps3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By LiquidPrince
    GweedyJ said:
    "Well PSN could be the best damn online service in the world and it would still lack one of the biggest thing live has over it.....GAMES. Little big planet does not seem worth the cost of a ps3."
    Now you're getting into a different topic. Let me just say that cost wise, you also have to buy an adapter for the 360, so makes it equivalent if not more then the PS3. Also, I wonder, purely out of curiosity, do you not like any of these games:

Resistance 1
    Resistance 2
    Little Big Planet
    Socom
    Metal Gear Solid

etc... From a purely online way I mean.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#114  Edited By wefwefasdf
    GweedyJ said:
    "Well PSN could be the best damn online service in the world and it would still lack one of the biggest thing live has over it.....GAMES. Little big planet does not seem worth the cost of a ps3."
    Oh god... here we go again...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GweedyJ said:
    Irrelevant to this thread
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By pause422

What hasn't been irrelevant to the thread, honestly? This thread has been run into the ground since the first page, and is pointless. Its only being kept alive now by fanboys who want to believe their own stories, yet have nothing to actually back them in actuality. I also hate myself for bumping it once more. :(

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By LiquidPrince

How about we all just stop posting in this thread. Agreed?

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By William

What ever helps you sleep at night.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Demilich

Resistance 2 is the only fun game I've played over PSN. Killzone 2 looks better still.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By bombHills

Does this thread have a point?  No service is free of issues.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By Emilio

Lul, MGM has been on the video marketplace since last year. Tristar are shit, and Sony Pictures are good once in a while.
    Warner Bros. and Universal is where it is at.

Everybody should know that Xbox Live is the better service, even with the yearly fee. Anyone saying otherwise is just fooling themselves.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#122  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LiquidPrince said:
    "PSN was announced quite recently as having almost as many users as LIVE. There is no feature that LIVE has that warrants its price tag. PSN is almost exactly the same in every feature except for having cross game invites ( Which you can technically do now just by pressing the PS button) and having cross game parties...Which begs the question, why would you want a cross game party? Also, PSN's video store is far better then the LIVE market because LIVE lacks all Columbia Tristar Sony movies along with MGM and so on... So does one feature and supposed better service warrant the $50 price tag? I think not. The only reason I even use LIVE is because ONE of my closer friends only has a 360 and even he is usually disappointed with the service."
    LOL yeah as many users as live? on a FREE Service oh my goD! you mean 14 million signed up for an account or Accounts! on a free online on a system with 17 million users, Compared to a mix of silver memberrs for free, and gold memebers 14 million of them to be exact on a system with 23 million users.

And you obviously have never been on xbox live marketplace cause even to this day there are still more movies, tv shows, games...ect on xbox live marketplace.
    GweedyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By GweedyJ
    LiquidPrince said:
    "GweedyJ said:
    Now you're getting into a different topic. Let me just say that cost wise, you also have to buy an adapter for the 360, so makes it equivalent if not more then the PS3. Also, I wonder, purely out of curiosity, do you not like any of these games:

Resistance 1
    Resistance 2
    Little Big Planet
    Socom
    Metal Gear Solid

etc... From a purely online way I mean.

"

As a matter of fact i dont like any of the games. Well i will admit LBP looks amazing but one game does not warrent console buy. MGS4 was amaing....MGO....not so much. As for stuff like Resistance. I got Halo 3 and Gears 1 and 2. And for socom....was socom ever a good game? And games are not irrelevent. Last time i checked both these services would be useless with out games. No one would pay for XBL if it had no games. Games make or break the online service. Oh yeah one last edit. You dont need the adapter. Out of every one i know only me and two other people actually have the adapter.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#124  Edited By Kazona

Ok I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with LiquidPrince on this one. PSN is rapidly approaching the quality and features of Xbox Live, while still remaining free. Now I can't say anything about downtimes since I don't have a PS3 and therefore never go online on PSN, but I do keep track of the improvements Sony makes to their system, and they are definitely making big strides in delivering something that can compete with XBL. The question is, what will when once they do? Will Xbox Live forced to become a completely free service, or will PSN become paid? I really doubt that things will stay as they are because once PSN is able to give XBL a run for its money in terms of features and such, it would be bad businness for Microsoft if their service remained a paid one while Sony's is free.

As for those shouting that LiquidPrince is a fanboy, I guess that makes the GB staff fanboys too because in their podcasts they have repeatedly stated that PSN and the PS3 in general is rapidly improving, and they've even expressed their thoughts on what might happen once it's able to go head-to-head with Xbox Live.

I guess I'm lucky though, cuz I can't even remember the last time I had the XBL service fail on me. I wonder if that has anything to do with where I live. You know, that might actually be an interesting study/poll: finding out how often people suffer from XBL being down in the US as opposed to Europe. Man if ever we needed a poll system it's now.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By pause422

no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kazona said:
    "As for those shouting that LiquidPrince is a fanboy, I guess that makes the GB staff fanboys too because in their podcasts they have repeatedly stated that PSN and the PS3 in general is rapidly improving, and they've even expressed their thoughts on what might happen once it's able to go head-to-head with Xbox Live."
    What the hell? They've repeatedly said that they would rather have a Live account they have to pay for than a free PSN service.
    I can say that malaria conditions in some African savannah has improved, I'd still prefer my malaria free city here in Norway.
    Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/de-rez/445-Jack-George

console wars summed up in less than 5 mimutes

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By get2sammyb

Oh dear goodness can we please stop with threads like this. Everyone has an opinion, everyone enjoys the systems they own, everyone researches the products they buy in the hope they make the right choice based on themselves.

PSN is a solid, improving free service. Live is a robust, established commercial service. The PS3 and 360 are both excellent platforms for gaming. Just enjoy the platforms you own and stop being detrimental to other systems. This swings both ways. Personally PSN does everything I want it to and I would never pay to have it "tuned up" to Lives feature-set but I know there are people out there who are happy to pay for the extra services Live provides. Just because I'm not one of them doesn't mean others are not entitled to pay for the service they thing provides them with more. Having said that I do believe Sony have made substantial ground on Live which can only be a good thing for both companies and consumers. Playstation 3 owners mean they get a consistently improving service while competition means Live will need to consistently improve to warrant a price tag. Which of course Microsoft have shown their hand by releasing the NXE update.

So the moral is: both platforms are great depending on what you prefer. It's up to you (and ONLY YOU) to make a choice and respect those of another.

Lock please?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#129  Edited By Red

The 360 can SUCK sometimes but when it works it works friggin' well.

I'd say the systems are equal but I do think that with the PS3 competition the 360 should at least lower the entry bar for Xbox Live.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use live ATM, as I dun have a 360 (might soon tho) and so my only thorough experience is with PSN and I've got no complaints.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#131  Edited By Keeng

I agree that PSN is better than XBL. In my experiences with both, PSN has always functioned better. I also prefer the PlayStation Store over the XBL Marketplace hands down. 

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Drebin_893

I like PSN, but no, it isn't better than Live

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#133  Edited By AutomaticSnake

I'm never upgrading to gold again, i got gold for one year and man it sucked. game severs are crap, in gears every time i used to host i would own everyone and then when i join someones game it felt laggy. damn host advantage. microsoft can stick their XBL and all their lame ass gamerpics up their ***, im never paying for that trash again. PSN for me runs great and FREE.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#134  Edited By Vinchenzo
    AutomaticSnake said:
    "I'm never upgrading to gold again, i got gold for one year and man it sucked. game severs are crap, in gears every time i used to host i would own everyone and then when i join someones game it felt laggy. damn host advantage. microsoft can stick their XBL and all their lame ass gamerpics up their ***, im never paying for that trash again. PSN for me runs great and FREE."
    Retard alert. Sorry, but you are the biggest idiot I've ever seen.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By pause422

He just posted in another thread before this, touting his PS3 as the greatest thing ever and anything related to the 360 as shit. His comments aren't even worth replying to.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By AaronBelfast

Ugh, this thread is one of the examples of why I dont come here anymore.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Drebin_893

By the way, just my opinion. On the 360 Gold will never be free, since that will be one of the selling points for the new Xbox

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By RodneythePom

oh you hate XBL and love PSN...

that's special....

*continues playing XBL*

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By pause422
    Drebin_893 said:
    "By the way, just my opinion. On the 360 Gold will never be free, since that will be one of the selling points for the new Xbox"
    I highly doubt that. Subscriptions to gold have made microsoft plenty of millions, they wouldn't suddenly make it free on a new console. Just like when it debuted on the first Xbox, it will still be paid for, just maybe if PSN eventually catches up near completely, they will reduce it by a few bucks, but that's as far as it would go, if that.
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Unreal_dro
    LiquidPrince said:

They ARE quite similar minus a thing here and maybe add something there.
    What?
    how "ARE" they similar when you have to  "minus a thing here and maybe add something there" ????????  

LMAO!!!!! this is too funny 
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By shadows_kill
    Snail said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:
    "Speaking of which, what happened to Sentry? He never responds to my messages on PSN. Did he just leave, or what?"
    he away or something >_>. he's never on msn either..."
    So you know him personally?

On Topic: ..... I would rather stay away from you raging fanboys....
    "
    yes i do. not very well since hes never on anymore. about 3 months ago he said something about going some where or something like that..
    JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#142  Edited By JamesF

I feel XBL is more stable. I just prefer XBL even though I have to pay for it.

TTreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By TTreen

My only comment on the XBL vs PSN debate is the irony it shines on one of the major talking points of the "console war".  Think about it: 3 years of XBL is $150-$180, added to the price that most people paid for 360s (approx $300-$400), it's just as much as (if not more than) a PS3.  I'm not trying to say that PS3 is better, I just find it humourous that Live users consider the PS3 more expensive when they are in fact the same price in the long run.  Granted, none Live users get a less expensive console, but the lack of online support may not be important to those gamers.

Take it easy Bombers.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By crunchUK

live vs psn... there really is no contest at all.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By HandsomeDead
    TTreen said:
    "My only comment on the XBL vs PSN debate is the irony it shines on one of the major talking points of the "console war".  Think about it: 3 years of XBL is $150-$180, added to the price that most people paid for 360s (approx $300-$400), it's just as much as (if not more than) a PS3.  I'm not trying to say that PS3 is better, I just find it humourous that Live users consider the PS3 more expensive when they are in fact the same price in the long run.  Granted, none Live users get a less expensive console, but the lack of online support may not be important to those gamers.

Take it easy Bombers."
    Thanks for invalidating your own point. It makes arguements so much easier.
    Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Joru

PSN is only always up because it doesn't get slammed with traffic. If more people used it then it would be down aswell. There are technical limitations to these things.

TTreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By TTreen
    HandsomeDead said:
    "TTreen said:
    "My only comment on the XBL vs PSN debate is the irony it shines on one of the major talking points of the "console war".  Think about it: 3 years of XBL is $150-$180, added to the price that most people paid for 360s (approx $300-$400), it's just as much as (if not more than) a PS3.  I'm not trying to say that PS3 is better, I just find it humourous that Live users consider the PS3 more expensive when they are in fact the same price in the long run.  Granted, none Live users get a less expensive console, but the lack of online support may not be important to those gamers.

Take it easy Bombers."
    Thanks for invalidating your own point. It makes arguements so much easier."
    I did not invalidate my point, I simply provided a different perspective.  Someone who does not play  online obviously has no reason to care which console has a better online service.  However, there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in buying a Xbox 360 for the purpose of playing online and still considering it a less expensive alternative to the PS3.  In the end, it all has to do with your personal preference in online services and  your choice between spending the same amount of money in one sitting or over the course of several years.  You're mistaking a comment that simply states financial realities with an opinionated arguement, and I apoligize if the way I presented the comment was misleading.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Jayge_
    TTreen said:
     I apoligize if the way I presented the comment was misleading."
    It wasn't really, and while that's fundamentally correct, a $4.15 per month expenditure for one year of Xbox Live played on an Arcade machine with a free 512 MB memory stick from Microsoft will take 3 or 4 years to match the $400 retail price of currently viable PS3 models. And that's if you're not using XBL cards from places that make it much cheaper, like Newegg or special offers from other retailers. So technically, it's a statement made on very shaky ground.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Unreal_dro said:
    "LiquidPrince said:

They ARE quite similar minus a thing here and maybe add something there.
    What?
    how "ARE" they similar when you have to  "minus a thing here and maybe add something there" ????????  

LMAO!!!!! this is too funny 
    "

Sigh, I didn't want to respond in this thread anymore but...
    Because the basic structure that they both have is similar. The 360 might have a little differentiating feature and the PS3 might have a little differentiating feature, however they essentially run the same way. How is that funny or hard to understand...

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Player1

I don't know what problems you are talking about, but I'm not having them. I have a ps3 and a 360, and I can't connect to shit with my ps3, but my connection is perfect with live.

A weird coincidence? I don't think so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.