Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PSN super slow or is it my internet?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Heavy Rain is patching and it's 1145 MB. That's quite a bit of data, but it's saying it's going to take 120 minutes. Is this normal for PSN or is there something up with my connection?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

PSN is notorious for being much slower than it should be for most people.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By spiceninja

PSN is just naturally slow. I can never get download speed of over 1 mb a second and I download almost 4mb a second.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By recroulette

It was pretty bad for me tonight. Worse than usual

Told me 764 minutes for the 3 DLC for Asura's Wrath. Background downloading was a bit better. 

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Sterling

I tend to have horrible speeds when downloading patches. It seems to be much faster when downloading from the store directly.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That seems normal for PSN.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

My PS3 is pretty slow compared to my 360.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zonikjj

Haha, I was at my friend's house the other day and we downloaded the patch for Heavy Rain (as well as PS3 firmware update). It took a pretty long time. We both have a 360 and PS3, and our PS3s download much slower than our 360s.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By teekomeeko

I always get like 1.5-2mb/s, same as anything else really. The Dragon's Dogma demo was going at about 1.7mb/s a couple days ago. Occasionally Steam will kick up to like 2.5, but only for a short period and then it's back down. I never understood the whole "PSN is slow" thing - it's always matched everything else no matter my internet service (at non-peak times, obviously).

Of course, patches also tend to download much slower than something from the PSN store in general.

mr187uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mr187uk

@Barrock: PSN is slow, I even find it slower via wireless. Wired speeds it up a bit, but not to 64-68MBPS I get via my Mac etc.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By AuthenticM

Are you on wireless? If yes, there's your problem. I hooked up my PS3 with a cat-6a cable and there's one hell of a difference. At least 10x as fast.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Sooty

@AuthenticM said:

Are you on wireless? If yes, there's your problem. I hooked up my PS3 with a cat-6a cable and there's one hell of a difference. At least 10x as fast.

That just means you have a slow wireless router. (or really weak signal I guess) Wireless N is just as fast as my PC's wired connection. (but of course even N has its limits, fortunately my connection is pretty far from them right now at just 20MB)

OP, try using Google DNS servers on your PS3, it might help. PSN is much faster for me than it used to be, I get almost the full speed of my connection now. This wasn't the case in the past, in 2008 it took me 5 hours to download Tekken 5 on a 20MB connection, total joke. (speed was ass even on wired)

Wired vs wireless has never made any difference for my PS3. Going to wired was the first thing I tried a few years ago when PSN speeds were consistently terrible, now they seem to have sorted it out for the most part.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By AuthenticM

@Sooty: PS3 does not support wireless-N, so it doesn't matter on that front. And I have a Linksys E4200, which is quite the router. The PS3 is simply much slower on wireless than when wired. Always has been.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sooty

@AuthenticM said:

@Sooty: PS3 does not support wireless-N, so it doesn't matter on that front

Still matters to a degree as wireless N routers are faster, the benefits can be seen on G devices as you obviously aren't guaranteed to get the full speed a G router is capable of, so the N is still going to give you a better speed. (depending on how well your G router performed) On my old Linksys WRT54G it would often top out at 800kb/s or so on wireless, now on my older G devices I get around 1.3mb/s connected to our faster N grade router.

That may be true for you, but as I've said, wired or wireless the PS3 has always been slow for me, ports forwarded, DMZ'd, nothing changes it. Wired PS3 won't get 2300KB/s (not even close), my PC will.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Read your manual about the PSN and port forward the ports the PSN uses. Simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.