psone gems

#1 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

hey friends

having been an xbox man for years, i just got my first ps3 tonight and am blown away by the titles available on PSN. So many games that i never got the chance to play through, like RE2, vagrant story, and parasite eve. with so many newer ps3 exclusives to catch up on as well, i'm wondering which of these classics are absolute musts whose greatness still shines through after all these years. Thanks for the input!

#2 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

I thought Vagrant Story was great. Kinda hard to get into, but really cool when you do. If you haven't, I suggest you all play it.

#3 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Me and my buddy grabbed Metal Gear Solid for PS1 on the PSN and it still holds up pretty well.

#4 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

Crash Team Racing, the only cart racer you'll ever need.

#5 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Pick up Silent Hill.

#6 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Soul Reaver, Xenogears, Dino Crisis. Should probably get those. Allow me to suggest you don't pick up Syphon Filter. That game has aged terribly. I can't speak for the sequels, but the first one is no good.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

If your in to final fantasy those are there, or if you like jrpgs. People keep saying to play ffix after you played a couple final fantasy's but ffix was my second ff that I played and I still think it is the best ff game.

#8 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@IBurningStar: SF: Omega Strain on PS2 is equally as bad.

#9 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

If your in to final fantasy those are there, or if you like jrpgs. People keep saying to play ffix after you played a couple final fantasy's but ffix was my second ff that I played and I still think it is the best ff game.

All of this, right down to the second FF and best FF.

#10 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

huge ff fan. played through VI and onwards (until XII anyways, but we won't get into that here!) and dabbled in the preceding ones. i think V would be my next adventure. hopefully someone else heeds these recommendations, because they are stellar games.

#11 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

how is breath of fire IV?

#12 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

#13 Posted by razkazz (167 posts) -

My favorites PSone classics that I've purchased from the PSstore have been Dino Crisis 2 and Star Wars: Dark Forces. Their gameplay holds up really well and they're games you can pick up and play in short fun bursts or get really into and play for hours.

#14 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Jumping Flash! - which have sadly been pretty much forgotten.

It was a 3D First-Person Platformer before Mario 64, and it is a pretty good game, it should really get more credit for creating a 3D world than Super Mario 64 should.

#15 Posted by DeF (4977 posts) -

Suikoden is on PSN, too! (Suikoden 2 sadly still is nowhere to be seen...)

Also, check out Alundra (heavily inspired by the early Zelda games)

#16 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -

@killacam: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. You gotta.

#17 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

XenogearsXenogearsXenogearsXenogearsXenogearsXenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears Xenogears Xenogears XenogearsXenogears Xenogears

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.