Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recommended Hard Drive for PS3 Upgrade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By blackbeard

Hard Drives are of varying quality and so before I buy one I like to see what  experiences others have had with specific models. I am considering upgrading my PS3 hard drive at some point in the not to distant future and so...

• What hard drive did you choose?
    • Has it worked out well?
    • I know you can use the backup/restore utility but what effect does this have on game saves? Should I finish any games I have going *before* the upgrade?
    • Will I have to redownload game updates and DLC again? (not a big deal, just wondering)
    • Has anyone tried a SSD? They are still to expensive probably, but just wondering?

I know there are some other threads about similar topics but I am looking specifically for links to specific drives that are known to be stable. I have had a bunch of drives die on me over the years and I don't want my PS3 drive dying after two months :-/

Thanks in advance.
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Qorious
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

This is the hard drive that I used for my PS3. It's SATA 3.0Gb/s but the PS3 only reads up to 1.5 so you'll be fine. This is the cheapest 320GB hard drive that I've found for a reasonable price. I haven't had any problems with it. It's relatively quiet and sometimes it's even more quiet than the Blu-ray drive. And make sure to back-up your data!!! I lost 50+ hours of RE5 because I didn't back it up! Just make sure you have a large external hard drive, flash drive, etc., and make sure to back up your game saves first. If your external storage device doesn't have enough room, make sure to delete any installed game data, not save data, from the PS3's hard drive so you have room to back up. 
    euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By euge

I've not replaced my hard drive but if you do, make sure it's a 5400 rpm not a 7200 rpm

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blackbeard
    @Euge said:
    " I've not replaced my hard drive but if you do, make sure it's a 5400 rpm not a 7200 rpm "
    why? noise? or a technical issue?

I would think the 7200 RPM would be better... no?
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By meptron
    @blackbeard said:
    "Hard Drives are of varying quality and so before I buy one I like to see what  experiences others have had with specific models. I am considering upgrading my PS3 hard drive at some point in the not to distant future and so...

• What hard drive did you choose?
    • Has it worked out well?
    • I know you can use the backup/restore utility but what effect does this have on game saves? Should I finish any games I have going *before* the upgrade?
    • Will I have to redownload game updates and DLC again? (not a big deal, just wondering)
    • Has anyone tried a SSD? They are still to expensive probably, but just wondering?
    I know there are some other threads about similar topics but I am looking specifically for links to specific drives that are known to be stable. I have had a bunch of drives die on me over the years and I don't want my PS3 drive dying after two months :-/Thanks in advance."

if you use the backup utility check out this link for some useful info from Sony:
    http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=798&p_sid=jKLJWkBj

Although I've never done it myself, I'm almost positive you can back up saved game files and then resume from where you left off after the backup.
    lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By lantus
    @Qorious said:
    " http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

This is the hard drive that I used for my PS3. It's SATA 3.0Gb/s but the PS3 only reads up to 1.5 so you'll be fine. This is the cheapest 320GB hard drive that I've found for a reasonable price. I haven't had any problems with it. It's relatively quiet and sometimes it's even more quiet than the Blu-ray drive. And make sure to back-up your data!!! I lost 50+ hours of RE5 because I didn't back it up! Just make sure you have a large external hard drive, flash drive, etc., and make sure to back up your game saves first. If your external storage device doesn't have enough room, make sure to delete any installed game data, not save data, from the PS3's hard drive so you have room to back up. 
    "
    This is the exact same drive I bought a few weeks back, works like a charm.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change
    @Wolverine said:
    " This should work and it's only $90. "
    rip off, you can get 500 gigs for 5 bucks more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

Is what i'd go with and have in my Wishlist for when/if I ever upgrade my Hard Drive which is doubtful as I don't really use a lot of space on demos and videos.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolverine
    @Subject2Change said:
    " @Wolverine said:
    " This should work and it's only $90. "
    rip off, you can get 500 gigs for 5 bucks more.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314Is what i'd go with and have in my Wishlist for when/if I ever upgrade my Hard Drive which is doubtful as I don't really use a lot of space on demos and videos. "
    Yeah your right that is a much better deal.
    euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By euge
    @blackbeard:
    Yeah, sorry I should have explained.  If I remember rightly, the 7200 rpm models help towards overheating your ps3 but the ps3 doesn't benefit from the added rpm. Someone might be able to correct me on the exact issue but I remember reading a warning about using one, so it's best avoided since you gain no advantage using one.
    thegriefer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By thegriefer
    @Qorious:  Ill probably get this one
    Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Box3ru13

I got a Samsung 320 GB HDD from newegg for 60 bucks and it works great I've had no problems whatsoever with it. You'll most likely have to re-install or redownload updates and such unless you can transfer all that data onto a external but I didn't have one so I just copied my saves. 

You can resume your save game no problems, I just upgraded like 3 days ago and RFG and VC both picked up no problems whatsoever (after the updates) 

But get 5400, 1.5 Gb/s, and 8 MB cache because the PS3 can't really take advantage of the higher specs so its pretty much pointless to get it. 
    Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Number1

Why do need so much space? Are you able to rip avi.s or something. Would like to know as getting PS3 in the morning.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MeierTheRed

I put a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB SATA, 8 MB cache and 5400 RPM in my PS3. Its a cheap drive and its reliable, i have always bought Western Digital drives for my different laptops and i haven't had a problem with them yet.

I have around 370 Gb left, and i haven't really put anything on it, but before you know it, you will have lost a lot of space to game data and updates. Not to mention the things you buy on PSN, and of course Demos.

I was also a little surprised over how much the OS takes up. So if i was you i would put a 300 GB drive in as a minimum, but if your that kind of guy who just deletes things after you have used them, i guess a smaller drive would be fine too.
    blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blackbeard
    @Number1 said:
    " Why do need so much space? Are you able to rip avi.s or something. Would like to know as getting PS3 in the morning. "

Well, a few reasons:

• Game Updates
    • Downloadable Games (and DLC in general)
    • Storage for PSP games that I download
    • Movies
    • Music

I have been using my PS3 as both a gaming console and a media center device. The more space I can put in it the better. It sits near my TV and hosts just about everything except actual cable TV. I do stream some things from my PC to my PS3 but if I can load more onto my PS3 itself, I will not need to keep my PC running all the time anymore. Plus, I am starting to get more into buying things digitally instead of physically so I don't, for example, have piles of DVDs all over the place. I still buy BluRays and Game discs but, lets say I want to get the latest season of South Park. I can just download it and keep it on the PS3 and not worry about needing more DVD shelf space.

The PS3 starts to become a jukebox of sorts with everything I want to play or watch sitting on this one device.
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By EvilDingo
    @blackbeard said:
    " @Number1 said:
    " Why do need so much space? Are you able to rip avi.s or something. Would like to know as getting PS3 in the morning. "

Well, a few reasons:

• Game Updates
    • Downloadable Games (and DLC in general)
    • Storage for PSP games that I download
    • Movies
    • Music
    I have been using my PS3 as both a gaming console and a media center device. The more space I can put in it the better. It sits near my TV and hosts just about everything except actual cable TV. I do stream some things from my PC to my PS3 but if I can load more onto my PS3 itself, I will not need to keep my PC running all the time anymore. Plus, I am starting to get more into buying things digitally instead of physically so I don't, for example, have piles of DVDs all over the place. I still buy BluRays and Game discs but, lets say I want to get the latest season of South Park. I can just download it and keep it on the PS3 and not worry about needing more DVD shelf space.The PS3 starts to become a jukebox of sorts with everything I want to play or watch sitting on this one device. "
    ... And not to forget: 
    • Mandatory install for quite a few games

...Although I suppose you can "juggle" installs and delete them for games you're not currently playing.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

I would actually wait until Christmas as the prices n HHD's are going to go down.

Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Number1
    @blackbeard: Yeah but can you rip movies onto the harddrive.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilDingo
    @Number1 said:
    " @blackbeard: Yeah but can you rip movies onto the harddrive. "
    The PS3 can play a variety of video-formats, so if you rip them to one of those I suppose you can.
    It should also also be possible to have the PS3 find a media-server on your home-network and play files of that - or you can just do like me and have an usb-harddisk with some movies and stuff for that purpose.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@jules81: This thread is six years old. Try Amazon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.