Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recovering the Lost.... saves...

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By white

I have a problem. A "hundreds of hours worth" problem. In 2010 my PS3 phat bricked, suffering from a mobo failure when I played God of War 3, Resonance of Fate and Bad Company 2 non-stop on it. Sony wanted as much money as it costs to get a new one to fix it, to which I tell them "No." and I went out and got a new one.

Now I have an old PS3 that doesn't work, can't boot, but a 40GB HDD that carries save data that's worth its MBs in gold (think weight in gold, but MBs). I tried plugging it into the e-SATA/X-Dock port on my Coolmaster in an attempt to at least see what's in there but it won't detect it, even though it's spinning like a jet engine once plugged.

I REALLY want my saves back. Dark Souls is coming out next week and I just wanna get a feel of its predecessor through using my old save. Anyone know how I can salvage this situation? Probably the only 2 game saves that I really want are my Resonance of Fate and Demon Souls saves.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

I'm no expert at this but can't you just plug that drive into your new PS3?

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By white

@Swoxx said:

Well I did. And it bitched that the HDD is unacceptable to the new PS3. I forgot the actual wording but it says something along the lines of "Please format it and install the latest PS3 firmware on it so we can install off it".

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta

gone forever

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

When my PS3 failed I only lost 2 saves because I had PS+. I would consider signing up to protect your data especially since it automatically updates the data now.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By swoxx

@White said:

@Swoxx said:

Well I did. And it bitched that the HDD is unacceptable to the new PS3. I forgot the actual wording but it says something along the lines of "Please format it and install the latest PS3 firmware on it so we can install off it".

That sucks pal, I don't know then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.