Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Red blinking light on my PS3 with video

lovaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lovaj

Hi there! I'm an italian guy, so sorry for my BAD english! My 80gb ps3 stopped working, but this is the intersting part: unlike the classic red bliking light problem, where the PS3 turned on for a few seconds with the green light, and then turned off and the red light started to blink, in my case the red light starts to blink as soon as I switch on the button on the back of the PS3!

I never seen anything like this, and I don't know the cause!

This is a video when I show my red blinking light:

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My guess would be a hardware failure somewhere like the power supply, since it's not even trying to start at all.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The common consensus on this problem is that ether its not getting enough power or its overheating. It could also be getting ready to die.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Red Blinking Light on PS3

That means one of three things, or even all three at once

1) Overheating on the PCB
    2) Misplaced connector on the PCB or a loose connection of one of the major parts
    3) HDD is malfunctioning or dead.

So you have some choices.
    A) Send it to Sony if under warranty, but I don't think they will even look at an old unit
    B) Have GopherMods do its $80 Yellow YLOD/Red (Yellow Light of Death, Overheating, Blinking Red Light, No A/V).
    C) If it is just overheating due to clogged vents or bad HDD you could fix it yourself if you are handy.

Your best bet might be Gophermods. There 'are' other services who fix PS3/PS4, but I think Gophermod has the best service and the best company repuation. They can't fix everything, but they are trustworthy for many issues, repairs, or even upgrades.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.