Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Refurbished PS3?

Avatar image for deactivated-15136
    deactivated-15136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By deactivated-15136

So I found a really good deal for an 80GB PS2 backwards compatible PS3 online ($299).  Only problem is that it is refurbished.  Has anyone ever purchased a refurbished one?  I want to grab it but I'm not sure how things like the warranty and PSN accounts will work on a refurbished system.  Anyone have any advice?    

greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By greenblattsam

It means other than yourself fixing it (thats if it ever breaks again). I would go for it,but I wish when i was at launch decided  to get one game and a 60gb instead of a 40gb and some games.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By EdIsCool

I paid slightly less than that for a new slim with LBP and Resistence 2 before Christmas, backwards compatibility must be really important to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-15136
    deactivated-15136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By deactivated-15136
    @EdIsCool said:

" I paid slightly less than that for a new slim with LBP and Resistence 2 before Christmas, backwards compatibility must be really important to you. "

I wouldn't say that it's REALLY important but it would be cool to have.  Just wondering if it's worth the tradeoff.    
    fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fini_fly

I bought mine new, but the laser mechanism jammed, and I got it fixed, so technically, mine is refurbished. After the fix everything is working fine, so as long as it was refurbished professionally then you should be okay.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By agentboolen

Yea i'm still confused on why they took the PS2 compatibility out of the PS3!!!  I have a ton of PS2 games that I would eventually like to play again with out hooking up a PS2.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller
    @n1Nj4d00m: I've had my refurbished 60gb ps3 for a few months now.  The fan is sometimes annoying loud but other than that I'm happy with it. I bought it strictly for the ps2 compatibility, but it's my main ps3 now, with the other one in my bedroom.  
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta
    @agentboolen said:
    " Yea i'm still confused on why they took the PS2 compatibility out of the PS3!!!  I have a ton of PS2 games that I would eventually like to play again with out hooking up a PS2. "
    it cost too much money, because they had to put that emotion engine chip in to reliably play the games, I believe.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

You should get a PS3 Slim and a PS2 slim. Really.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By agentboolen
    @Laketown said:
    " @agentboolen said:
    " Yea i'm still confused on why they took the PS2 compatibility out of the PS3!!!  I have a ton of PS2 games that I would eventually like to play again with out hooking up a PS2. "
    it cost too much money, because they had to put that emotion engine chip in to reliably play the games, I believe. "
    They didn't make that excuse in the PS2 when that system used the chip from the PS1.  Either way I wouldn't be surprised if one day it manages to be put back in the PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.