Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Should I get an old PS3 instead of a PS2/3 combo?

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nintendude

Nintendo just confirmed that there won't be a Blu-ray disc support on Wii U so I might just go a head and finally buy a PS3 with my Xbox360.

I'm not too interested in PS3 games so I was thinking of an older 60GB model to be able to play PS2 games. I could always get a slim and a PS2 to cover all of this but there is only an HDMI port on my monitor and I don't really care about those old cables anyway, unless there is a good way to convert PS2 easily to HDMI. (Got an adapter which converts the output of my rarely used Wii to HDMI.)

So yeah, the question is if the (more fail proof but not as handy) option of separate consoles is too complicated here.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

It would probably be cheaper to get both, but AFAIK there is no easy way to get an HDMI signal out of a PS/2.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By theoldhouse

I would still just go for the new ps3 model  (a hell of a lot nicer and much easier to store)

I'm sure you can find a ps2 for next to nothing easier than you can find an old backwards compatible ps3 that isnt about to break. 

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Daryl

Ask yourself honestly how many old PS2 games you're realistically going to play anyway as I doubt you will.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By valrog

Depends on what PS2 games you actually want to play. Because of the upcoming Collections, if those are among them, there's no really need to get an older model.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

I have a launch model 60 gig with hardware backwards compatibility and I love it.  There's a lot to be said for never having to worry about memory cards and being able to play wireless, however the downside is that my machine is kind of old by modern electronic standards.  I am in constant fear that the next PSN update will cause some sort of error.  It seems that whenever a story about a new update emerges, it's the older systems that have the most trouble.  Now, I don't do much competitive online gaming and I still have my 360 if I really get the urge, so I would recommend the PS3/PS2 combo provided you are well aware of the risks.  This thing may break at any time.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By jkuc316
    @Daryl said:
     Ask yourself honestly how many old PS2 games you're realistically going to play anyway as I doubt you will.
    I would play a lot of old PS2 games, even if I have played them before.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By ColinWright

Just get a slim and buy a seperate PS2. A lot of the older models are starting to get issues. It's the safest bet.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By louiedog
    @Daryl said:
    This. A friend of mine decided he wanted a PS3 just after they got rid of backwards compatibility. He convinced himself that he needed that feature, so he spent a lot of time searching stores looking for an older unit that had it. I don't think he's played a PS2 game on it yet. 

I actually just became a PS3 owner. The only last-gen games that I'm still interested in checking out and that I can't already play on my PC or Xbox are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, and no backwards compatibility is required. The same goes for God of War and Sly Cooper and who knows what other franchises Sony wants to give the HD remake treatment to.
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nintendude

Having 2 systems seems to be my only real choice in the long term.

That's fine but this runs me into the second problem. How can I hook up an old PS2 (most possibly the slim model) to an HDMI port? I don't have any of those older ports in use for the console so I'd need to come up with some workaround without spending money for a new monitor/TV because being up to date is the only con of my current setup. Any ideas?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AuthenticM

Get a slim and a PS2.

nasie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nasie

If you're not intrested in PS3 games then maybe just buy a PS2? :) Just sayin...

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Branthog

You can get a new PS2 for about $100 and while your TV may not have anything bu an HDMI input, I bet your tuner has plenty of composite and RCA inputs.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sarkhan

@Nintendude said:

Nintendo just confirmed that there won't be a Blu-ray disc support on Wii U so I might just go a head and finally buy a PS3 with my Xbox360.

I'm not too interested in PS3 games so I was thinking of an older 60GB model to be able to play PS2 games. I could always get a slim and a PS2 to cover all of this but there is only an HDMI port on my monitor and I don't really care about those old cables anyway, unless there is a good way to convert PS2 easily to HDMI. (Got an adapter which converts the output of my rarely used Wii to HDMI.)

So yeah, the question is if the (more fail proof but not as handy) option of separate consoles is too complicated here.

Buy a ps2. If you're not interested in any games, the get a ps2 :)

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I have a launch ps3 with full hardware bc and an old ps2 in a closet somewhere. I prefer to just rip my ps2 games to my computer and emulate them in full 1080p. I play my games at a higher spec than the HD re-releases planned or already out for PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.