Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So I bought a new TV.....and a PS3.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hamz

So I bought a kickass 42" plasma screen TV ( link for those interested) on Sunday. I was thinking of buying a new gaming PC with the money but after doing a little research and general comparison of which would be a better investment I decided on the television instead. The current PC I have for gaming is almost 6 years old and to be quite honest I haven't really bought many PC games this year at all. Only been interested in Modern Warfare 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The latter of which I may just buy on my new PS3 instead.

Queue segue into the other interesting topic of this blog. I bought a PS3. Yes you read that correctly, Hamz the elitist PC gamer bought a console. Bit of a spur of the moment thing if I'm being honest. I think it was Ryan Davis who made a statement in response to Brad's comments about Borderlands being better on the PC. If you own a big ass television, you'll want to play some games on the 'big screen' even if they might not look as pretty as they would on a 17" LCD monitor. And I have to sort of agree that having 42" of plasma screen available to me does make me feel more inclined to utilise it for gaming.

I managed to grab a PS3 package which included inFAMOUS and Resistance 2. A friend has let me borrow his copy of Killzone 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 to mess around with. I haven't tried any of them yet as inFAMOUS has captured my attention entirely, that game is pretty bloody awesome and I'm only a few hours into it at the moment. So I can only imagine just how much better it gets as I make further progress with it.

So I guess we come to the point in this blog where I ask those of the PS3 fanbase for suggestions on games to consider buying and playing on my new toy. I've only just managed to get my PS3 connected to my Orange Livebox (what a bloody useless piece of kit the Livebox is) and briefly browsed through the Playstation Store. Like I said above I think I'll be cancelling my PC pre-order of Batman: Arkham Asylum and get it on the PS3 instead. But what else out there should I be considering to get for the PS3? What little indie titles, arcade games, full game releases etc would folks recommend me looking into?  

Disclaimer:
    It should be noted for those few folks out there in the Giant Bomb PC gaming community I've not switched sides. Just for the time being I'm not seeing much point in staying loyal to one platform in an age where multi-platform gaming seems to be slowly becoming a requirement to truly enjoy games.

Now onto the obligatory and random picture of the day, this blog gets an extra special two images instead of the usual one!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamz

So I bought a kickass 42" plasma screen TV ( link for those interested) on Sunday. I was thinking of buying a new gaming PC with the money but after doing a little research and general comparison of which would be a better investment I decided on the television instead. The current PC I have for gaming is almost 6 years old and to be quite honest I haven't really bought many PC games this year at all. Only been interested in Modern Warfare 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The latter of which I may just buy on my new PS3 instead.

Queue segue into the other interesting topic of this blog. I bought a PS3. Yes you read that correctly, Hamz the elitist PC gamer bought a console. Bit of a spur of the moment thing if I'm being honest. I think it was Ryan Davis who made a statement in response to Brad's comments about Borderlands being better on the PC. If you own a big ass television, you'll want to play some games on the 'big screen' even if they might not look as pretty as they would on a 17" LCD monitor. And I have to sort of agree that having 42" of plasma screen available to me does make me feel more inclined to utilise it for gaming.

I managed to grab a PS3 package which included inFAMOUS and Resistance 2. A friend has let me borrow his copy of Killzone 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 to mess around with. I haven't tried any of them yet as inFAMOUS has captured my attention entirely, that game is pretty bloody awesome and I'm only a few hours into it at the moment. So I can only imagine just how much better it gets as I make further progress with it.

So I guess we come to the point in this blog where I ask those of the PS3 fanbase for suggestions on games to consider buying and playing on my new toy. I've only just managed to get my PS3 connected to my Orange Livebox (what a bloody useless piece of kit the Livebox is) and briefly browsed through the Playstation Store. Like I said above I think I'll be cancelling my PC pre-order of Batman: Arkham Asylum and get it on the PS3 instead. But what else out there should I be considering to get for the PS3? What little indie titles, arcade games, full game releases etc would folks recommend me looking into?  

Disclaimer:
    It should be noted for those few folks out there in the Giant Bomb PC gaming community I've not switched sides. Just for the time being I'm not seeing much point in staying loyal to one platform in an age where multi-platform gaming seems to be slowly becoming a requirement to truly enjoy games.

Now onto the obligatory and random picture of the day, this blog gets an extra special two images instead of the usual one!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Welcome to the PS3 party man. inFamous has been one of my sleeper hits of the year; it's a game that benefitted from not having much hype I think -- seeing as it came out of nowhere and surprised everyone.

I urge you to get Uncharted and Wipeout HD when you're done tinkering with the games you own. Both are fantastic.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Hope you enjoy your PS3.    :)

Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Bolt

Awesome, nice TV you got there. I've dumped owning a PC for gaming as well, I just keep one up to date for media storage ect. Don't even worry about getting the latest and greatest graphics card. enjoy man!
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

:O

HAMZ CONSOLE GAMER ZOMG.

WILL HE KEEP HIS PC ELITIST ATITUDE?

FIND OUT NEEXT WEEK IN...

RETURN OF THE MUTANT HAMZ!!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Welcome to the PS3 party man. inFamous has been one of my sleeper hits of the year; it's a game that benefitted from not having much hype I think -- seeing as it came out of nowhere and surprised everyone.  I urge you to get Uncharted and Wipeout HD when you're done tinkering with the games you own. Both are fantastic. "
    I don't know if it came out of nowhere. Both inFamous and Prototype were pretty heavily hyped. The difference was that inFamous actually lived up to that hype. 

Awesome tv though by the looks of it. Go enjoy some blu-ray movies now. 
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kiemoe

I've always felt that if you were a gaming enthusiast that you should own at least a PC and one other console,because of how many game come out exclusive to consoles and all the ones that are just better for PC.So congrats Hamz, I'm glad to see the PS3 getting a lot more love. And you should probably pick up Uncharted 2 when it comes out, apparently it's the best game of all time ;D

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

Don't feel bad. I'm a hefty PC gamer but I admit there hasn't been much for the PC lately. I have yet to play inFamous but for now I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles fro the past three straight days. May want to look that up and see if that tickles your fancy.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    " Welcome to the PS3 party man. inFamous has been one of my sleeper hits of the year; it's a game that benefitted from not having much hype I think -- seeing as it came out of nowhere and surprised everyone.  I urge you to get Uncharted and Wipeout HD when you're done tinkering with the games you own. Both are fantastic. "
    I don't know if it came out of nowhere. Both inFamous and Prototype were pretty heavily hyped. The difference was that inFamous actually lived up to that hype.   Awesome tv though by the looks of it. Go enjoy some blu-ray movies now.  "
    Akin to other PS3 exclusives though (Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Killzone, etc), it swooped right under the radar until the last minute. Which I think was to its advantage.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

Welcome to the console market, Hamz!  ^__^

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Psyx2

I've been wanting a PS3 for a long time now, even though I'm also a PC gamer... But my TV sucks, and I doubt I'll get the chance to buy a nice one and a PS3.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

Welcome sir! I would like in the future to switch to PC gaming.

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By CactusWolf

I was in a similar situation back when I got my PS3 awhile back. 
    Still using my PC more than anything, but it's nice to have it available.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Johnny5

Ive heard Valkyria Chronicles is awesome. I really like the anime so...I dunno.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie

So does this mean that your proposed blog explaining the superiority of PC gaming over console gaming is officially postponed indefinitely?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pazy

Lots of PS3 love lately, seems like I choose a good time to get a Ps3. Whats your PSN name Hamz if you dont mind? Would love to add some more Bombers to my list (currently I have 3 people, 2 from college and 1 other who dosent actually sign in lol).

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By KamasamaK

You forgot to provide us with your PSN ID.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

My PC is getting up there in age as well. At least it can still play some good RTS games, I downloaded the demo of Dawn of Discovery "Anno 1401" and it still can run them. I like my Wii and Xbox 360 too, so welcome to the console world.

Joseppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Joseppie

If you don't play MGS4, I will disown you Hamz. I can do that...I think.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Congrats on the investments. I have a 32" LCD but lately I've been thinking that 42" is the way to go. As for game reccomendations, you already know what you should try: MGS4, Unchartered, Little Big Planet etc etc. All are great games in their own right, I'm sure you'd enjoy them.   

Enjoy your new stuff!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Joe: I'm not sure what the purpose of posting that was, but I find it amusingly ironic that the first post degrades one with inferior intelligence but in the same sentence misuses "who's" (should be whose).
    Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caddy

I agree with Joe, and you know I hate doing that. Pleb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kamasama: I posted it because Hamz is a huge tool
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Well i hope you enjoy your new toys :) 

brando711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brando711

get arkham assylum for ps3 its beast 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#27  Edited By AgentJ

Go get Metal Gear Solid 4 and Valkyria Chronicles for sure. every other game is secondary. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallen189

What made you pick plasma over LCD?

I like the fidelity and crispness of my plasma, but be careful it doesnt burn in when it gets too hot :)

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By sjschmidt93

They let someone who hadn't owned an HDTV or a PS3 be a mod on Giantbomb? 

They just approve these people like their Facebook friend requests or what??

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Carlos

Sup dawg =V~

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hamz
    @SJSchmidt93: Before I took those special pills I was just a measly 32" in length, now thanks to the Giant Bomb iPhone App I'm a whopping 42" in length!.....Seriously though who said I didn't own a HDTV before this one? Tell me so I may silence their slanderous mouth!

@Fallen189 said:
    " What made you pick plasma over LCD?  I like the fidelity and crispness of my plasma, but be careful it doesnt burn in when it gets too hot :) "

I'm well aware of the 'issues' if you will that a plasma screen can have. But personally I'm more inclined to say that for the time I have an operating television for both gaming, home cinema and day-to-day TV usage. I'd rather the image quality be top quality, vibrant in colour and not have horrid tearing during gaming or TV usage. And likely by the time a plasma TV is on the way out and needing replaced it'll be about time to get a new TV anyway. The television set I replaced with this new one was around four years old anyway. I just really wanted a TV that when used gave me 100% and could be enjoyed, if that joy lasts for around four-five years then I'm perfectly fine with that.

@Kamasama said:
    " You forgot to provide us with your PSN ID. "

Haven't really sorted that yet. I'm lazy and still playing inFAMOUS but once I get it all created I'll let you all know what my PSN: ID is so we can chill out in Home and make gaylo and RRoD jokes together!

@ZombiePie said:
    " So does this mean that your proposed blog explaining the superiority of PC gaming over console gaming is officially postponed indefinitely? "

Perhaps, perhaps not. I still feel the PC provides a more adequate gaming experience, I do however retract my comments that console gaming is for retards.

@Bolt said:
    " Awesome, nice TV you got there. I've dumped owning a PC for gaming as well, I just keep one up to date for media storage ect. Don't even worry about getting the latest and greatest graphics card. enjoy man! "

That was partially my reasoning for getting the big TV instead of a new gaming PC. When you look at some of the upcoming games being released, price the parts for a mid level to top tier PC system and add in the amount of time required to build it and troubleshoot issues that occur. It really does, at times, become more hassle than fun. That being said I still do love my PC games and gaming on the platform is still something I intend to do. Just for the moment, or worded better, for the rest of this year I don't really intend to buy too many games on the PC considering this machine is rocking on the six year old mark now.

@Carlos said:
    " Sup dawg =V~ "

Hey lover....
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

great job on that :) welcome to the market and nice tv :)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Diamond

Good job, single platforming is for chumps.  Now all you gotta do is fill out the rest of your platform collection and you'll be set.  :p

Be sure to at least rent MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet and Demon's Souls at some point, better yet buy them.  WipEout HD, Shatter, Super Stardust HD, and Pixeljunk Monsters on PSN might tickle your fancy as well.

edit - oh yea and Uncharted, although you might want to wait for Uncharted 2 now, but you could probably get 1 cheap...

F_14_D_TOMCAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By F_14_D_TOMCAT

I highly recomend that you buy and play RESISTANCE: Fall of Man 1st before you play R-2.  
    RFOM has a wonderfull story & many kicka$$ large scale battles pitting you against highly responsive Chimera enemy AI. I enjoyed RFOMs single-player campaign battles more than R2s battles & i think you will be missing a great game if you dont play RFOM. 

Infact RFOM (and the E-3 2005 Killzone 2 trailer) is why i paid 600 $ back in 2006 to buy a PS3 instead of geting a 360 which was 200 $ cheaper at that time, and in my opinion the extra 200$ i spent was worth it. I still play RFOM regularly to this day !.  
    And Killzone 2 rocks !.

You should definely buy your own copy of KILLZONE 2, coz once u play killzone2 you may like its atmosphere and intense combat so much that you may find it hard to return your friend's killzone.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArmoredCore55

Hope you enjoy your PS3. :)

ShiningMyDuggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By ShiningMyDuggy

Firstly, I want to congratulate you for buying a Panasonic branded plasma television. Secondly, I HIGHLY recommend that you buy Metal Gear Solid 4 (but read up on the previous games if you're not familiar to the plot) and Uncharted 1 and/or Uncharted 2. Oh and congrats on your new investment(s)!!!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MeierTheRed

Enjoy your new gear.

Lolerskates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lolerskates

Damn dude, that's the exact HDTV I'm buying to replace the 32" LCD 720p in my bedroom. Funny enough, I just bought a PS3 too. But I'm going to one-up you and buy a $1,000 sound system as well.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hamz
    @Lolerskates: lol I had a surround sound system come free with the TV but it isn't nearly as expensive as what you're going for :P and it doesn't really work that well either....
    Lolerskates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lolerskates
    @Hamz said:
    " @Lolerskates: lol I had a surround sound system come free with the TV but it isn't nearly as expensive as what you're going for :P and it doesn't really work that well either.... "

How sexy is the TV? Have you seen Uncharted 2 on it? I can't wait for Christmas! :P
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hamz

It is a nice looking TV, big and heavy too lol. And the first time I loaded up Uncharted 2 on it, I was a little gob-smacked with just how brilliant it looked :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.