Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

So my ps3 just decided to stop playing ps2 games...

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

...I wish it would have told me a little sooner. This isn't exactly the most stress free time for me right now.

It's a refurbished 60GB I ordered online from GameStop. Last night my ps2 games were playing perfectly, tonight I just get a blank screen. I'll try tomorrow to see if it will decide to continue playing them. It looks like I'm going to have to send it in. It froze on me while in the XMB tonight as well, as it did while in game playing Uncharted. I also noticed that while the PS3 is practically silent most of the time, (compared to my experiences on the 360.) there were a few times while playing MGS4 and Uncharted that some unpleasant noises reverberated from inside the machine.
    Nothing terribly annoying but noticeable.

Should I send it back (It supposedly came with a warranty I believe, pretty positive.) Or is there something I can do for it?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

You bought a GameStop refurb? Half the time those are broken beyond belief, even after being sent away.

I would send it to Sony and see what they can do.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Demilich
    >Second Hand Console

>Gamestop

There's your problem.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

You can never really trust GS when it comes to used systems. It's pretty much based on luck if you'll get a working system or not...I would recommend sending it to Sony.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Kush said:
    "You can never really trust GS

Fixed.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

Well at least it's a 60GB which is a rare find, so IMO just get it fixed because it's the best BC SKU.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

At least yours played PS2 games in the first place. I got an 80GB and it was the worst purchasing decision of my life.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By irishjohn

That sucks dude, get on to Sony and see what they can do for you.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
    dcpc10 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "At least yours played PS2 games in the first place. I got an 80GB and it was the worst purchasing decision of my life."
    80 GB are suppose to play PS2 games....."
    No they're not. Not the PAL ones at least.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku

wow that sucks, hopefully they'll release a BC patch someday.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PenguinNerd

Man that stinks...but like someone else said hopefully you learned your lesson about buying refurbished consoles for GameStop....good luck with your system.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By AaronBelfast
    dcpc10 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "At least yours played PS2 games in the first place. I got an 80GB and it was the worst purchasing decision of my life."
    80 GB are suppose to play PS2 games....."
    Depends.

The MSG4 Limited Edition can play most PS2 titles.

The new 80GB doesn't (It's basically just the 40GB specs but with a 80GB hard drive.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vidiot

Now it gets crazier.

I booted my console this morning and low and behold, a ps2 game booted perfectly. I tried it again. And blank screen.
    I am so confused.

Regarding it being Gamestop refurbished. The 60 gig is one hell of a hard model to find and that's the only reason I bought it from them.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PenguinNerd
    vidiot said:
    "Now it gets crazier.

I booted my console this morning and low and behold, a ps2 game booted perfectly. I tried it again. And blank screen.
    I am so confused.

Regarding it being Gamestop refurbished. The 60 gig is one hell of a hard model to find and that's the only reason I bought it from them."
    That is pretty weird....
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vidiot

I don't trust GameStop.
    I'm looking into alternative places to get the system fixed, as well as sending it into Sony which I will probably do. I hope I don't get a gimped 80Gig after all of this is through.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PenguinNerd
    vidiot said:
    "I don't trust GameStop.
    I'm looking into alternative places to get the system fixed, as well as sending it into Sony which I will probably do. I hope I don't get a gimped 80Gig after all of this is through."
    Yeah....we used to have a place close to us that fixed consoles...but I don't know....good luck with it. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vidiot
    nerdboy said:
    "vidiot said:
    "I don't trust GameStop.
    I'm looking into alternative places to get the system fixed, as well as sending it into Sony which I will probably do. I hope I don't get a gimped 80Gig after all of this is through."
    Yeah....we used to have a place close to us that fixed consoles...but I don't know....good luck with it. "
    Thanks everyone.

On a more weird note. This generation of consoles has really bummed me out in terms of stuff breaking down. Perhaps it's fatigue from my 360 deciding to red ring on Christmas eve (fun.) But aside from that I don't remember any mass technical problems cropping up with my snes or genesis. Or my Playstation. Or even my Ps2 or original Xbox. I hope the...next generation is far better in terms of reliability.
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PenguinNerd
    vidiot said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "vidiot said:
    "I don't trust GameStop.
    Yeah....we used to have a place close to us that fixed consoles...but I don't know....good luck with it. "
    Thanks everyone.

On a more weird note. This generation of consoles has really bummed me out in terms of stuff breaking down. Perhaps it's fatigue from my 360 deciding to red ring on Christmas eve (fun.) But aside from that I don't remember any mass technical problems cropping up with my snes or genesis. Or my Playstation. Or even my Ps2 or original Xbox. I hope the...next generation is far better in terms of reliability."
    Yeah seriously....a friend of mine has had his 360 RROD 3 times!  IN like a year.  But he also has horrible luck with technology....
    deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By deadly_polo

that happened to me- either get a new one if your warrenty works. OR as my second one stopped playing ps2 games aswell- try try and try again, then update the firmware

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

BIG BLACK PAPERWEIGHT FTL!!!  LAWLZ

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By chililili
    vidiot said:
    "...I wish it would have told me a little sooner. This isn't exactly the most stress free time for me right now.

It's a refurbished 60GB I ordered online from GameStop. Last night my ps2 games were playing perfectly, tonight I just get a blank screen. I'll try tomorrow to see if it will decide to continue playing them. It looks like I'm going to have to send it in. It froze on me while in the XMB tonight as well, as it did while in game playing Uncharted. I also noticed that while the PS3 is practically silent most of the time, (compared to my experiences on the 360.) there were a few times while playing MGS4 and Uncharted that some unpleasant noises reverberated from inside the machine.
    Nothing terribly annoying but noticeable.

Should I send it back (It supposedly came with a warranty I believe, pretty positive.) Or is there something I can do for it?"
    Ok due to the fact that this is second hand you most likely will not get sony support. If you do yay! But if you don't my tip is to find a private electronics repairman who can repair your problem, since I live in Mexico they are quite commonplace and due very high quality jobs as well give you warranties of their own. Of course this violates the warranty given to you by Sony but since you have none you can do this.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vidiot

Getting it to boot PS2 games is pretty all over the place. Again this morning (I work during the weekends.) I again booted the system multiple times taking the disk out, putting it back in. This time it booted two times out of five-ish, a far cry from not booting at all a day ago, or only booting once. Interesting that when I initially started the system the game was able to boot (disk was already in console.), but after quiting and trying again it wasn't able to. Nor boot normally after restarting.

Does anyone with any internal PS3 tech experience have any idea what might be the cause of this?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By brukaoru

That really sucks. I saw another poster say he had gotten a refurbished 360 from GameStop and they hadn't even asked the previous owners for the password for the system. How lazy is that? Whether you like GameStop or not, I think everyone can admit that their used systems are not a good idea to purchase.

I would send it back to Sony, for sure. If you are no longer under warranty, the repair is $160, I believe.

vidiot said:

"Does anyone with any internal PS3 tech experience have any idea what might be the cause of this?"
    I'm not too sure. Something could happened with the emotion engine.

Good luck, anyway.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vidiot
    THIS IS INSANE.

MY PS3 IS NOW BOOTING PS2 GAMES JUST FINE. I AM CONFUSED.

Is it self aware? I am beyond confused.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By chililili
    vidiot said:
    "THIS IS INSANE.

Is it self aware? I am beyond confused."
    Seriously back to what I said before your ps3 most likely has some sort of electrical, physical damage (considering that 60 gigs ps3 had and an actual physical chip to play ps2 games), take it to a private repairman or get sony warranty if you wnat it to work properly. In order to prevent problem do general things like preventing overheating and taking good care of your console.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vidiot
    chililili said:
    "vidiot said:
    "THIS IS INSANE.

Is it self aware? I am beyond confused."
    Seriously back to what I said before your ps3 most likely has some sort of electrical, physical damage (considering that 60 gigs ps3 had and an actual physical chip to play ps2 games), take it to a private repairman or get sony warranty if you wnat it to work properly. In order to prevent problem do general things like preventing overheating and taking good care of your console."
    I don't believe something magically repaired itself inside my console. In my mind my ps3 is still broken. While I was tearing out my hair a week or so ago on this board, I was also troubleshooting the hell out of my console. This recent resurgence of correct operation defiantly has caught me off guard.

I decided to pull my console more forward to allow more air to breathe through in the back. Regarding overheating issues, a well placed fan sitting right next to both my 360 and PS3 hopefully will correct any future issues regarding overheating. I hope.

The initial problem was the consoles inability to switch over to the internal Ps2. When a Ps2 game is selected (even a Ps3) the screen goes black then literally seems to switch over to the appropriate hardware in context to it's media. I see my HDMI blank channel pop up as if the machine is off for a few seconds, and then the correct Playstation logo's appear for it's boot. When I had the problem the screen would turn blank as it's supposed to, and then continue to stay there.

After a few weeks of booting and re-booting titles I think I found the culprit of the problem. And by culprit, I mean the only damn thing that I have come semi close to associating the problem too and it probably has little to nothing, to do with the grand scheme of things happening in this behemoths hardware. I began noticing the holding down on the playstation button wasn't booting the machine any more. I was a bit confused why this would fail too. I noticed that I still had the USB port for the controller still plugged in even though the controller was not plugged to the USB cable. "What the hell, it wouldn't hurt." I thought as I unplugged the USB cable from the machine and hit the Playstation button to try and turn it on. The machine finally responded and started, and then immediately began booting the Ps2 game without any problems. After fifteen successful boots I posted my last message here.

A couple days back my controller need to be charged so I plugged it back in. Lowe and behold the Ps2 game wouldn't boot. I disconnected the USB cable and it worked.

I've been unsuccessful trying to get this to replicate 100% of the time. I have had no hardware failures with the cable plugged in though, and so far this is my only lead in finding out the problem. I am testing and retesting the hell out of this thing, thanks for everyone that responded. I'll update any future issues regarding my system.

It's just weird.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vidiot said:
    I don't believe something magically repaired itself inside my console. In my mind my ps3 is still broken. While I was tearing out my hair a week or so ago on this board, I was also troubleshooting the hell out of my console. This recent resurgence of correct operation defiantly has caught me off guard.

I decided to pull my console more forward to allow more air to breathe through in the back. Regarding overheating issues, a well placed fan sitting right next to both my 360 and PS3 hopefully will correct any future issues regarding overheating. I hope.

The initial problem was the consoles inability to switch over to the internal Ps2. When a Ps2 game is selected (even a Ps3) the screen goes black then literally seems to switch over to the appropriate hardware in context to it's media. I see my HDMI blank channel pop up as if the machine is off for a few seconds, and then the correct Playstation logo's appear for it's boot. When I had the problem the screen would turn blank as it's supposed to, and then continue to stay there.

After a few weeks of booting and re-booting titles I think I found the culprit of the problem. And by culprit, I mean the only damn thing that I have come semi close to associating the problem too and it probably has little to nothing, to do with the grand scheme of things happening in this behemoths hardware. I began noticing the holding down on the playstation button wasn't booting the machine any more. I was a bit confused why this would fail too. I noticed that I still had the USB port for the controller still plugged in even though the controller was not plugged to the USB cable. "What the hell, it wouldn't hurt." I thought as I unplugged the USB cable from the machine and hit the Playstation button to try and turn it on. The machine finally responded and started, and then immediately began booting the Ps2 game without any problems. After fifteen successful boots I posted my last message here.

A couple days back my controller need to be charged so I plugged it back in. Lowe and behold the Ps2 game wouldn't boot. I disconnected the USB cable and it worked.

I've been unsuccessful trying to get this to replicate 100% of the time. I have had no hardware failures with the cable plugged in though, and so far this is my only lead in finding out the problem. I am testing and retesting the hell out of this thing, thanks for everyone that responded. I'll update any future issues regarding my system.

It's just weird."
    Maybe it's just some kinda wacky "one in a million" situations that you've stumbled upon - which no body else has because they havnt experienced the exact same set of events and setups as yours?

Is your firmware updated fully? Maybe it's some new little quirk sony let slip in while updating something else? That kind of thing has happened before, but it's like I said, maybe your exact setup and way of doing things has yet to be replicated by others and thus the problem is not reported and not on Sony's watch list?

I'd contact Sony about it, explain your situation and at the very least it'll give em something to test out to see if perhaps something software wise is causing the problem on the 60gb model.

I'm curious as hell and plan to try it out on mine tomorrow (ave a 60gb model as well) to see if I can get it to replicate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.