Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

sony 24 inch playstation tv

vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiots

I really want this tv for the 2 player type screen alone but is it 1080p?

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deanoxd

i am going to say with a degree of certainty that it is, i can't see them releasing a 720p version

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Maajin

Yes it is, Jack Tretton said as much.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TotalEklypse

Yep 1080p. I don't have much use for it now but i love that 2 player 1 screen thing. That is seriously bad ass.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

I am toying with the idea of getting a 3D enabled PC screen for a while now. Currently playing on a 24'' 1080p. I was thinking about going 28'' though. Either way, attractive offering. I am intrigued.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yeah that 2 players 1 screen thing is pretty sexy.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

I don't see what there is to gain from having 1080p on a 24" display; you wouldn't tell the difference between it and 720p. The screen isn't big enough.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

I saw this and thought I really wanted it. Then I realized, oh I don't give a shit about 3D.

I might get it if it has really good speakers.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By louiedog

You don't need that Sony TV or to be stuck with a 24" display. It's not even something that the PS3 does. You just need a game that does split screen. Other 3D enabled TVs have the same ability. I posted about it yesterday.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Wolverine

At first I was considering getting this because I'm in the market for a new tv, but 3D isn't really a selling point for me and I could get a much larger tv at that price point.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I'm really thinking of getting a 3DTV before Uncharted 3 comes out, since even the most skeptical writers I know (in regards to 3D) who have seen it say the game looks amazing in 3D. I'm seriously thinking about getting this display in particular since I would need the glasses and plan on getting Resistance 3 anyway. I'll look at what prices are for 3DTVs when the time comes.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Sooty

I think it's a gimmick, I don't buy televisions based on how often I have people round my house playing a split screen game, which is not often, if I have people round we usually play something like Chu Chu Rocket or fighting games. 

and really, $500? Dude, I can get a 42" 1080P plasmafor just 100 bucks more. I'm pretty sure you can get LCDs for even cheaper probably with 3D too. In my experience Panasonic make better televisions than Sony as well. 

Edit: Also, I bet the games that support this tech are going to be in a very small minority, maybe, just maybe this'll be widespread with the PlayStation 4 but I doubt it very much, glasses 3D will probably be dead by then.  

@AuthenticM said:

I don't see what there is to gain from having 1080p on a 24" display; you wouldn't tell the difference between it and 720p. The screen isn't big enough.

If you are sitting within 1 foot you will definitely notice a difference, for PC use the difference between a 720P and 1080P TV is huge because of the increased screen space, but that's obvious. 

On my 42" I can't notice the difference between 720P and 1080P Blu-Ray films from 6 feet back, it just isn't there.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By louiedog
    @Ygg said:
    I think it's a gimmick, I don't buy televisions based on how often I have people round my house playing a split screen game, which is not often, if I have people round we usually play something like Chu Chu Rocket or fighting games. 

and really, $500? Dude, I can get a 42" 1080P plasmafor just 100 bucks more. I'm pretty sure you can get LCDs for even cheaper probably with 3D too. In my experience Panasonic make better televisions than Sony as well.  Edit: Also, I bet the games that support this tech are going to be in a very small minority, maybe, just maybe this'll be widespread with the PlayStation 4 but I doubt it very much, glasses 3D will probably be dead by then. 
    You obviously didn't read my post :)

You can do this with other 3D TVs, it's not special tech. You just need a game with split-screen on any console.
    thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By thecablekid

Can anyone explain exactly how they are get two images at once, is it through how the 3-D glasses are use?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty
    @louiedog said:
    @Ygg said:

and really, $500? Dude, I can get a 42" 1080P plasmafor just 100 bucks more. I'm pretty sure you can get LCDs for even cheaper probably with 3D too. In my experience Panasonic make better televisions than Sony as well.  Edit: Also, I bet the games that support this tech are going to be in a very small minority, maybe, just maybe this'll be widespread with the PlayStation 4 but I doubt it very much, glasses 3D will probably be dead by then. 
    You obviously didn't read my post :)  You can do this with other 3D TVs, it's not special tech. You just need a game with split-screen on any console.
    That's weird...you'd think it would have been made a bigger deal of, now a lot of people are gonna think it's a Sony thing.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By louiedog
    @Ygg said:

@louiedog said:

@Ygg said:

You obviously didn't read my post :)  You can do this with other 3D TVs, it's not special tech. You just need a game with split-screen on any console.
    That's weird...you'd think it would have been made a bigger deal of, now a lot of people are gonna think it's a Sony thing.
    Well, yeah. They want to sell a bunch of Playstation branded TVs. I guess that is weird, considering they sell a ton of expensive TVs that can already do it. Maybe this one has a delicious profit margin? I guess it might be a glasses thing. If you do it with another TV you need to take two pairs and swap one lens from each. They don't just work right off the shelf. Of course then they could just sell Playstation branded glasses for $100 for their existing TVs. I dunno, it's Sony.

@TheCableKid said:

Can anyone explain exactly how they are get two images at once, is it through how the 3-D glasses are use?

Based on the youtube video I posted, it takes the split screen and instead of displaying a top and bottom video it displays both images full screen. The only issue I can see is FOV problems because the resolution would change.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @louiedog: ohhh yeah i forgot vizio had that tv that uses the  theater glasses. grat stuff
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Addfwyn

I was actually in the market for a TV (I haven't had one for a year and I miss my PS3) and was excited about the announcement, but I think it'll be too long before it comes out, so I may have to pass on it. It sounds about the perfect size (tiny Japanese apartment here), quality, and I remain curious (albeit skeptical) about 3D.

Maybe when it comes out, I'll sell the used 32 incher I got and swap for this, 32 inches is simply just a bit too big for me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I own like way too many hdtvs, i'm not in the mood to buy another one. But this is a sony screen, don't mind having a third. Also it's like $500 I think? it comes with a 3d glasses. While I don't care for 3d games, I do care alot for 3d blu rays. It should work on it. 

I don't know, I just want to comment about it, the screen is too small for me, but I don't mind using it close and as an affordable 3d solution for now. $500 is the same price i've spent on two videocards in sli, except one fried. But still, it's not that much, even a gtx 580 cost that much. Maybe when it drops like $50 i'll get it for sure.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I own a hd monitor that's enough for me

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By abdo
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    I own a hd monitor that's enough for me
    Yep, same here.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Branthog
    @vidiots said:

I really want this tv for the 2 player type screen alone but is it 1080p?

HD resolutions are kind of meaningless on such a small screen. When they announced this, I actually laughed out loud. I mean, 24". My laptops are all 17". My desktop has a pair of 30" screens. One of my console monitors is 46" and the other is 65". They would have to promise that the 3D technology could literally give me a blow job and work me to completion to pay $500 for a 24" screen with proprietary glasses that may or may not fuck up eyesight in the long rung and largely reduce framerate when activated (though not always, as I understand it).

Also, I need to know more information before I just go out and buy a screen. For instance, what kind of LCD panels are they using?
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Kyle

Considering that there's almost no PS3 games that even support 1080p, does it even matter?

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's quite cheap in some respects but I dont have the money for a TV as well as all the games coming out. Plus I'd probably go for a TV that was bigger.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Bollard
    @AuthenticM said:

Only if you have really bad eyes. 

@TheCableKid said:

It just renders both images and displays one scene on the even frames, and the other image on the odd frames. The "shutter" glasses block out every other frame so you only see one image, and it blocks out different sets of frames for each user so they only see their image. See below:

EDIT: Also the split screen thing guys isn't special to this particular TV - its tech thats been around for a while (EDGE Magazine in the UK had an article on Holographic 3D, which is basically superior to stereoscopic 3D in every way, and that could make use of the multiple screen thing.) All you need is a monitor with a high refresh rate and glasses which only let you see every other frame. Any 120hz monitor could do this at 60fps for a 2D image. For this reason I'm certain this split screen thing will become a feature for all 3D TVs, not just this one. 

Similarly I am fairly certain you won't get split screen and 3D at the same time. For a start that needs a 240hz screen, and no console can render probably even last generations games at 240fps, doing two scenes at the same time...
    dark_quota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dark_quota

It's not a TV if it doesn't have a TV tuner. Sony refers to it as a 3D display. 
    It has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 set of component inputs, and 1 set of composite inputs according to CNET.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.