Sony Cuts the Price of the PS3 Dev Kit by 80%

#1 Posted by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

The developer kits originally cost $20 000 each, and they were cut down to $10 000 sometime in 2008. Now the PS3 developer kit has been price cut again to $2000, a drop of 80%. What's good about this? More small independent companies can now get the kit's more affordably - so expect to see a bunch more PSN downloadable games.

Source

#2 Posted by deathfury (531 posts) -

Well that's good, but I wish Sony and Nintendo had things like XNA and the community games so that indie developers can get a start on consoles easier.

#3 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -
deathfury said:
"Well that's good, but I wish Sony and Nintendo had things like XNA and the community games so that indie developers can get a start on consoles easier."
Yea that would be nice.
#4 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
#5 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
what the fuck?! they really cost that much when it launched?! good lord. i want one lol. 

asside from geometry wars and braid being on 360 and are excellent hardcore titles, i think the PSN has been a much cooler place for gaming enthusiasts. Playing something like Flower is just amazing, the fact that it ever happened is just awesome, and this just makes me feel better knowing that more independent game developers are going to be working on this. i just feel bad for anyone who began development on a ps3 game right before they made this huge price cut, what a bummer. like dammmmnnn yo we dropped 10grand on that fucking thing dude. lol
I hope, though, that more hardcore high quality indy games come out on PSN like Braid. I love Super Stardust so i wouldn't care if geometry wars was on (i keep forgetting i own that game on 360 lol) but i think that new wizard game thats not exactly exclusive but its only on ps3 and pc, will be awesome. But yeah, PS3 needs its own Braid asap! Even though i think Flower was PS3's braid, i love great side scroller platforms. one of my all time favorite games was Oddworld (i've been trying to rally support for a new updated version to be released on PSN and XBL forever it seems) and i just yourn for that kind of simplistic design. 

damn i have to wake up in 5 hours i need to go to sleep nao!

anyways i think this is great news and it only makes Sony's already excellent lineup seem even better somehow knowing this. 

2010, 2011, and holy shit 2012 are going to be insane years for the PS3. Especialy 2012 ya kno, about that age of ps2 it was just an amazing time dude. 
#6 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
LiquidPrince said:
"Now the PS3 developer kit has been price cut again to $2000,"
heh, maybe Bob will buy one.
#7 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Don't you love it when Sony starts making smart choices?

#8 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"Don't you love it when Sony starts making smart choices?"

yeah. and it's about time :)
#9 Posted by MB (12381 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:

2010, 2011, and holy shit 2012 are going to be insane years for the PS3. Especialy 2012 ya kno, about that age of ps2 it was just an amazing time dude. 
"

Why is it that every year the console apologists are promising that the following year is going to be amazing?
#10 Posted by Manachild (506 posts) -

Hopefully this means that some neat indie stuff is on the way due to the lower cost for dev kits and the funding program.

#11 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Compact that with the fact sony is now promising to match development budgets *guranteed royalty payments to developers*.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-to-match-dev-budgets-in-return-for-exclusivity"
Yeah this is the big news. If you're an independent developer with practically no budget, Sony will cover your costs making it so long as it's exclusive to PSN.

Which is a big deal. Not only that but pledging exclusivity will also gain you access to a ton of Sony's resources and priority support.
#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Well that's cool and all but many indie devs only have their living expenses to measure while making their games (on top of having another job for actual rent, etc). So, covering that is a measly amount of money for Sony. Maybe they're still better off to cover costs on their own and go multi platform, the sales from the other platforms combined most likely will exceed their dev costs Sony's willing to cover. This is probably better for semi-indies, proper studios that just happen to not be under the wing of a big publisher, rather than individuals or small teams.

#13 Posted by LiquidPrince (15942 posts) -

Why the hell did some people give me negatives just for reporting some news? Why are people such fanboyish ass holes...?

#14 Posted by The_Dude (798 posts) -

Its a good thing that they are dropping the price that much, but does it seem a little late to anyone else?

#15 Posted by iAmJohn (6119 posts) -
Alex_Murphy said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Now the PS3 developer kit has been price cut again to $2000,"
heh, maybe Bob will buy one."
THIS THREAD IS OVER.
#16 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
MB said:
"TwoOneFive said:

"

Why is it that every year the console apologists are promising that the following year is going to be amazing?"
i am a console apologist? WTF?
i think the past two years have been excellent for these consoles, especially the ps3 (mgs4, lbp, kz2, r2, all did things never before possible in gaming), just saying that i remember the final years of ps2 and how great the games were. don't be a dick. 
#17 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

That's good. Then let's hope for more PSN exclusives this year. 

#18 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

that is a huge price drop, wow!

#19 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -

yay!

#20 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

That's great news! Hope this will make it easier for small time developers to get a fair chance in the market.

#21 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Doesn't matter when devs are still to lazy to make good games

#22 Posted by lantus (143 posts) -

This falls in line with their recent announcement of the Pub Fund agreement, making PS3 a really attractive platform to develop on, I'm excited to see what comes from all these recent announcements from Sony.

#23 Posted by xDot (169 posts) -

Does anyone know how much any of the other console's dev kits cost ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.