Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony Publishes Q&A to Address More PSN Concerns, Still Unanswered Questions

• 155 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

I realize there's been a massive amount of PlayStation Network coverage on Giant Bomb the past few days, but when potential credit card fraud and data intrusion on 77 million accounts is involved, that happens. Senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold, also known as the public face of Sony throughout PSN's disaster, has updated the PlayStation Blog with a new Q&A.

The Q&A reveals a few new details about Sony's decision making process when the initial intrusion was discovered and how the company is handling rebuilding PSN and now ensuring account security.

I've grabbed the most interesting updates (though it's worth reading the whole thing) for you to read:

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==

Q: Are you working with law enforcement on this matter?
    A: Yes, we are currently working with law enforcement on this matter as well as a recognized technology security firm to conduct a complete investigation. This malicious attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible.

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
    A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Q: Was my credit card data taken? 
    A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

Q: What if I don’t know which credit card I’ve got attached to my PlayStation Network account?
    A: If you’ve added funds to your PlayStation Network wallet in the past, you should have received a confirmation email from “DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net” at the email address associated with your account. This email would have been sent to you immediately after you added the funds, and will contain the first 4 digits and last 4 digits of your credit card number. You can also check your previous credit card statements to determine which card was attached to your PlayStation Network or Qriocity accounts.

Q: When or how can I change my PlayStation Network password?
    A: We are working on a new system software update that will require all users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. We will provide more details about the new update shortly.

Q: What steps is Sony taking to protect my personal data in the future? 
    A: We’ve taken several immediate steps to add protections for your personal data. First, we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and, second, we are enhancing security and strengthening our network infrastructure. Moving forward, we are initiating several measures that will significantly enhance all aspects of PlayStation Network’s security and your personal data, including moving our network infrastructure and data center to a new, more secure location, which is already underway. We will provide additional information on these measures shortly.

Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information? 
    A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognized technology security firm and law enforcement in order to find those responsible for this criminal act no matter where in the world they might be located.

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
    A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

I'll be continuing to monitor Sony's progress the rest of the week--and possibly beyond, it seems.    
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

I realize there's been a massive amount of PlayStation Network coverage on Giant Bomb the past few days, but when potential credit card fraud and data intrusion on 77 million accounts is involved, that happens. Senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold, also known as the public face of Sony throughout PSN's disaster, has updated the PlayStation Blog with a new Q&A.

The Q&A reveals a few new details about Sony's decision making process when the initial intrusion was discovered and how the company is handling rebuilding PSN and now ensuring account security.

I've grabbed the most interesting updates (though it's worth reading the whole thing) for you to read:

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==

Q: Are you working with law enforcement on this matter?
    A: Yes, we are currently working with law enforcement on this matter as well as a recognized technology security firm to conduct a complete investigation. This malicious attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible.

A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Q: Was my credit card data taken? 
    A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

Q: What if I don’t know which credit card I’ve got attached to my PlayStation Network account?
    A: If you’ve added funds to your PlayStation Network wallet in the past, you should have received a confirmation email from “DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net” at the email address associated with your account. This email would have been sent to you immediately after you added the funds, and will contain the first 4 digits and last 4 digits of your credit card number. You can also check your previous credit card statements to determine which card was attached to your PlayStation Network or Qriocity accounts.

Q: When or how can I change my PlayStation Network password?
    A: We are working on a new system software update that will require all users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. We will provide more details about the new update shortly.

Q: What steps is Sony taking to protect my personal data in the future? 
    A: We’ve taken several immediate steps to add protections for your personal data. First, we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and, second, we are enhancing security and strengthening our network infrastructure. Moving forward, we are initiating several measures that will significantly enhance all aspects of PlayStation Network’s security and your personal data, including moving our network infrastructure and data center to a new, more secure location, which is already underway. We will provide additional information on these measures shortly.

Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information? 
    A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognized technology security firm and law enforcement in order to find those responsible for this criminal act no matter where in the world they might be located.

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
    A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

I'll be continuing to monitor Sony's progress the rest of the week--and possibly beyond, it seems.    
    Jefflarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jefflarz

Nice.

E: Wow, actually got it.

Anyways, I've been pretty disappointed with how Sony has handled this situation as a whole. The amount of time it has taken them to even attempt to try and answer the public's questions has been somewhat absurd. I understand it's been a difficult situation for them and all, but really Sony when something this big happens you really need to jump on the ball far faster.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

nice job sony

F4t4l3nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By F4t4l3nd

What a mess

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " nice job sony "
    I honestly can't tell if that's sarcastic. I can't even tell if it's talking about the initial security breach or this reaction to it.
    saroorhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By saroorhai

So Senator Blumenthal thinks Sony should pay for 2 years worth of free credit reports and lifelock (or something like it) for all users affected.

To clear it up, the data was not necessarily taken but accessed, or at least access was available in how the network was breached?

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mechabolic

Wait a sec... from what i've been hearing, our data is transmitted in plantext.  What encryption is sony talking about?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man this must be costing them big time.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By artofwar420

I can't imagine what the higher ups are thinking right now. This is a PR nightmare.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @artofwar420 said:
    "

I can't imagine what the higher ups are thinking right now. This is a PR nightmare.

"
    It's all good, they'll all get bonuses!
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, top men are on it? Hopefully? 

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By imayellowfellow
    A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a verysophisticated security systemthat was breached in a malicious attack.

sophisticated likee what's my mothers maiden name?

sounds like the same sophisticated network at gawker media
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

I checked my PSN e-mails like they said to and now I am relieved, I never put my new CC on my PSN. Changed all my passwords just in case and now I just have to wait until PSN is up to change that password. Hopefully this is all old news in a week from now.

skilled_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By skilled_gamer

It sucks because I haven't played my PS3 for a couple years now, mainly an xbox guy, but sony had my fucking credit card :/

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @Mechabolic said:
    " Wait a sec... from what i've been hearing, our data is transmitted in plantext.  What encryption is sony talking about? "
    ArsTechnica has some explaining to do if it is true Sony has indeed been using encryption.
    Foshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Foshi
    @Mechabolic: 'What you've been hearing' is the problem.
    Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cyrisaurus

I really wish people would shut up and calm down about this. Once this is resolved in a few days everything will be back to normal and no harm will be done.

Bunch of trigger happy, paranoid idiots.

Mechabolic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mechabolic
    @Foshi said:
    " @Mechabolic: 'What you've been hearing' is the problem. "
    True, but that's all we have to go by.  What we are hearing is all we have to go by. lol
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Rockdalf
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " So, top men are on it? Hopefully?  "

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @imayellowfellow said:
    "  Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
    A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a verysophisticated security systemthat was breached in a malicious attack.
    sophisticated likee what's my mothers maiden name?sounds like the same sophisticated network at gawker media "
    It's funny because both Valve and Microsoft have been on record saying they use 256-bit encryption, but Sony has yet to state that.  It can only mean Sony is using some shitty ass encryption that might just as good as a basic 64-bit encryption. 
    sollum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sollum

Yep. They decided to move it to a new more secure location. 

This time it will have a padlock to secure the door.
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidS

Well done Detective Patrick! You have the potential of becoming a great Private Dick.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Skald

Curious to see how normal people are taking this, I looked it up on Google Trends. Sure enough, people are looking it up a lot, probably trying to figure out what to do, and even worse (for Sony) speculating on what has happened.

No Caption Provided
    I just hope to God their encryption was as solid as they're suggesting.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DAFTPUNK

don't worry everything will be alright.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By 71Ranchero

Reporters are making this shit blow up. Nobody knows anything yet. I agree 100% that we should but how many times has it been reported that there wasn't encryption and that all your info was taken. Nobody even fucking knows yet. Way to jump the gun everybody.

My info is at risk potentially just like all of yours but this shit is getting out of hand. Its turned into Fox news all over my video games websites.
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TEAMHOLT
    @Mechabolic: They're saying that your login and other personal info may have have been unencrypted, but your credit card number was.

But fuck all that noise. If you're security is bad enough to be storing passwords, then I have no faith  that my CC info isn't long gone. Canceling the card I was using on PSN tomorrow.
    chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By chickdigger802

Funny why they had to say " behind a very sophisticated security system"

seems to be giving a bit more credit to the hackers than I'd expect.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#28  Edited By TadThuggish
    @Atramentous said:
    " Reporters are making this shit blow up. Nobody knows anything yet. I agree 100% that we should but how many times has it been reported that there wasn't encryption and that all your info was taken. Nobody even fucking knows yet. Way to jump the gun everybody.

My info is at risk potentially just like all of yours but this shit is getting out of hand. Its turned into Fox news all over my video games websites.
    "
    I don't think you know what Fox News is.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    I want Sony to make an ad with Kevin Butler storming into basements and beating up hackers. 
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zabant

What a terrible terrible mess. Personal Details and passwords stored in plain text unencrypted. Sloppy work.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChrisInCali

If I wanted to get ripped off I would have bought a 3DS, thanks a lot Sony!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

They still haven't given an answer to the most important question yet:

Why did it take them a week to tell users that their personal data might have been compromised and leave everyone in the dark in the meantime?  Even if they didn't have a solid yes or no answer from the start, they should have been more forthcoming with information.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By DougCL

Though I think this is being handled well considering the circumstances, I hope this serves as a wake up call to Sony about how it handles it's online service. This hasn't happened on xbox live, and Microsoft hasn't been removing features or jamming mandatory and overly restrictive firmware updates down it's users throats. I honestly don't think the almost constant headaches associated with PSN are really worth the service being free. I would much rather pay a price comperable to xbox live gold for this to not happen on Sonys next home console. I'm a recent ps3 owner, and I'm starting to wonder if Yakuza and Uncharted were really worth the hassle, or if I should have just saved my money.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm

I wanted to echo from my previous statement, (and somebody before), that most of your information can be found through legal means, such as real name, address, etc. The credit card stuff is the stuff people should be keeping an eye on.

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

What encryption did Sony use? I would like them to tell us that rather than just say the CC data was encrypted. 

Saga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Saga

Thanks Sony....it only took you a week and change to provide us with a decent response.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By boylie
    @Hailinel: 

"There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised," said Seybold. "We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon."  

You might not *LIKE* this explanation, but it doesn't mean they haven't given one

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Norusdog

I seriously hope sony get's sued into the ground over this.

this belated Q/A on a goddamn blog/tweet account is bullshit.

It's all in how they've handled it AFTER the fact it happened as to why I hope they go down over it.  Not in that it happened in and of itself.  But you don't wait a fucking WEEK to say anything about it and just casually say "we don't know if your cc info was compromised" that long after a fucking hack.

what a goddamn bunch of idiots.  Rot in hell sony.

oh and before I'm pegged as a Sony hater..my main console is my PS3 and I love the thing.  Sony, as this shows, is just incompetent.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Druminator

Thanks for the update!

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hairy_Fish

No worries for me. I stopped updating just before they took away other OS support. Also never gave any credit card details.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By JBG4

Hopefully the CC info was secure enough to prevent someone from accessing it. I'm more optimisitic about the CC info now, but, we all pretty much know that it's a given all of our personal information provided to PSN has been compromised which still really sucks...

This was really supposed to be a banner year for Sony and the PS3, and now that has been completely tarnished by this nightmare situation for their brand. I do think that Sony and the Playstation as a product will, eventually, be able to recover from this but it is going to take a little while to wash this bad taste out of all of our mouths. This is terrible for Sony, but it is even worse for all of us who have to worry about our information being in the hands of some unsavory characters.

If this were a videogame I bet it would be Nazi's who are behind this, it would have to be Nazi's, as hot as zombies are in the gaming world they don't have the capabilities to access a secure network. Unless it's Nazi zombies, OH SHIT, now I'm terrified.

Raptop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Raptop

A little IRC log for you all
     http://pastie.org/private/97oth9v5tspkiztwwdmnga
    Okay, so they put the stored CC# in a encrypted db... after they receive it in plaintext through a HTTP GET request. So all that data is unencrypted in the log files of the server.

Answer #2 is loltastic; especially the last sentence.
       'behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack'
    They describe their security system as 'very sophisticated' TWO WORDS before saying it was completely compromised.

Also hilarious is that they are physically moving their data center. What, so they can hide it where the hackers can't find the building?

Japanese companies on the internet....

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " @MooseyMcMan said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    I want Sony to make an ad with Kevin Butler storming into basements and beating up hackers.  "
    fuuuuck, I need this
    Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Phoenix87

If the credit card information wasn't stolen, they would have triumphantly announced this days ago, instead of dancing around the issue and making excuses. Assume the worst.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel
    @boylie said:
    " @Hailinel: 

"There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised," said Seybold. "We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon."  

You might not *LIKE* this explanation, but it doesn't mean they haven't given one

"
    That explanation says a whole lot of nothing in regards to the question.  Yes, they spent several days investigating the issue, but that doesn't excuse the radio silence on the matter.  We have no way of knowing how much they knew at any given time, and given the seriousness of the issue and the amount of time that passed, it's inexcusable for them to not give an even remotely substantial announcement regarding the security breach within that time frame.

Imagine you manage a bank, and you come in one morning to find that the vault is open, giving anyone access to the safe deposit boxes inside.  You also notice that the boxes themselves are unlocked.  Do you:

A.  Set about informing all bank customers with safe deposit boxes that a breach in security may have resulted in the theft of their personal belongings, or:

B. Sit on this information for a week like a complete fuckwit while the police investigate the potential robbery.
    Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Foggen

Noteworthy that they didn't address passwords.  I guess they were part of that plaintext personal info table.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Before I clicked on this article, I knew Patrick wrote it just by reading the long, unnecessary title.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aaron_G

I already went through and changed all my passwords. I did this several months ago after Gizmodo lost mine. So I am tired of changing my passwords. 

Alv325Ci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Alv325Ci

While I don't put any blame on Sony for the initial breach of the network, I do agree that the manner in which they have handled the public relations piece and also in communicating with their community has been less than ideal.  Sony should have had more communications with the community throughout the weekend and not just provide us with once a day updates prior to yesterdays announcement.  

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the past week i didnt really care about the fact that PSN was down considering i stopped playing online and i wasnt playing the ps3 much anyways.  but now im regretting that i had a credit card to my account...  what if geohotz hacked the PSN all the way from south america?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.