Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony wins another legal battle

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
      http://www.gamespot.com/news/6302659.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Sony has won yet another legal victory over PlayStation 3 jailbreaker George “GeoHot” Hotz. Northern California District Court Judge Joseph Spero has
    granted Sony’s request to unmask visitors to various websites related to the PS3 hack, which allows people to install and run unauthorized software on the system, from homebrew applications to pirated games and custom firmware. 

The court order, issued on March 3, stipulates that Bluehost, which hosts Hotz’ website, must turn over all documentation that can be used to identify anyone who visited the website. That information includes names and telephone numbers, as well as e-mail and IP addresses. Notably, the order gives Sony access to all the IP addresses that accessed the PS3 jailbreak download from Hotz’ website. 

AWESOME.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Thanks for actually discussing it beyond saying awesome! Totally worth creating a thread over!  

Edit: NEVER MIND! I see you've put in real info. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

too bad... 

oh well.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slaker117

Why is this awesome?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

What's awesome about that?

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    Because Sony wins. Do you see the color of my name?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    Because Sony wins. Do you see the color of my name? "
    If this wasn't troll enough before...
    PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PatriotsAreGod

Oh, wait a minute......who has been to those websites? Fess up, now.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    If this wasn't troll enough before... "
    Why? People don't want Sony to infringe on their rights? What's wrong with you?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slaker117
    @PatriotsAreGod:  Well I'm certainly not happy when Microsoft wins a legal battle that allows them access to people's private information. I don't have much sympathy for straight up pirates, but this is getting a bit too close to Big Brother for my tastes. Not alarmingly so, but nothing about this is "awesome" to me.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe
    @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " Oh, wait a minute......who has been to those websites? Fess up, now. "
    Everyone has been to the websites. Most news sites even linked to Hotz's site themselves, not that it matters anyway.
    Before anyone else gets confused, let's be clear that Sony got permission to do this to help them judge the extent to which Hotz's site reached the public and in where most of these people lived. All they want is to get enough evidence to get the trial held in California because that's where they feel they have the best chance at winning. They aren't suing random people or anything like that, as I've seen people on other forums suggest.
    PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod:  Well I'm certainly not happy when Microsoft wins a legal battle that allows them access to people's private information. I don't have much sympathy for straight up pirates, but this is getting a bit too close to Big Brother for my tastes. Not alarmingly so, but nothing about this is "awesome" to me. "
    But.....nobody has a right to visit ANY website that MIGHT give you an idea how to hack. You are automatically guilty. Sony is smart and cool enough to know why you are on those sites. You thought you had freedoms? For SHAME!
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By kingzetta

good Sony is the good guys in this, just like Metallic were actually the good guys in their lawsuits.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60
    @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod:  Well I'm certainly not happy when Microsoft wins a legal battle that allows them access to people's private information. I don't have much sympathy for straight up pirates, but this is getting a bit too close to Big Brother for my tastes. Not alarmingly so, but nothing about this is "awesome" to me. "
    But.....nobody has a right to visit ANY website that MIGHT give you an idea how to hack. You are automatically guilty. Sony is smart and cool enough to know why you are on those sites. You thought you had freedoms? For SHAME! "
    You really don't have any idea what you're talking about do you?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @PatriotsAreGod:  If you're going to be sarcastic, you need proper content. Having such an empty OP doesn't do you any favors.
    PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @CL60 said:

" @PatriotsAreGod said:

" @Slaker117 said:
    But.....nobody has a right to visit ANY website that MIGHT give you an idea how to hack. You are automatically guilty. Sony is smart and cool enough to know why you are on those sites. You thought you had freedoms? For SHAME! "
    You really don't have any idea what you're talking about do you? "
    Sarcasm. I was hoping some would pick it up. I think the fact they CAN do it is bad enough, actually.
    Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Crixaliz

How come jailbreaking an iPhone is considered legal, but hacking the PS3 is not?  
    I haven't done either so I'm not sure, but aren't you just messing with the firmware in both cases?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CL60 said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    You really don't have any idea what you're talking about do you? "
    He's pretty clearly being incredibly sarcastic.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By jasta
    @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    I love PC's, but if one came to my house and tried to burn it down, I wouldn't be the least bit happy about it.
    PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @Crixaliz said:
    " How come jailbreaking an iPhone is considered legal, but hacking the PS3 is not?   I haven't done either so I'm not sure, but aren't you just messing with the firmware in both cases? "
    Good question. I'm against piracy 100% but I seriously hope nobody (besides Sony) gives too much of a fuss about messing with their own stuff. Does anyone homebrew on the PS3 anyway?
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time allen

sony used contain jailbreak

it failed.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Skytylz

If sony wins this lawsuit against Geohot that sets a terrible precedent about ownership.  I should be able to do anything I want with my console, if I wanna install a linux kernel I should be able to.  It's not really any different than hitting it with a hammer, I bought the damn thing.  However, buying a console or PC doesn't give me the right to steal things I haven't bought.  

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @Jasta said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    I love PC's, but if one came to my house and tried to burn it down, I wouldn't be the least bit happy about it. "
    I'm all for Sony cracking down on Piracy but again, I wonder how many are really pirating PS3 games. Isn't it a royal pain in the ass to do all this crap to your system or something?
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody

Hacking a PS3 is legal, they can't sue you over it, they're just making an example of Hotz because they've been bleeding about the amount of piracy with all of their products even though it hasn't been till recently that they're even making an attempt to show interest in DRM. So Sony gets a big thumbs down from me for being a douchebag just to spark fear. 
    Edit: Also they haven't won shit yet, they've just been given the right to obtain information on who has accessed the website and jailbreaked their PS3. I highly doubt that Hotz will lose this case because this isn't the first time a company has tried to bully its way through a lawsuit over jailbreaking, and lost.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By alternate

A lot of people support Sony in trying to protect their IP (although they seem to be turning the stable into fort knox after the horses already bolted imho).  It doesn't hurt that this GeoHot guy comes across as a legendary asshole.  However if they start going after everyone who downloaded the licence keys then I can see public opinion turning against them.  It is like how I can broadly support movie studeos for being anti-piracy but find it distasteful when their lawyers are chasing some 14 year old's parents for stupid amounts of money 'cause their dumb kid downloaded Hurt Locker (watched 5 minutes and turned it off for being way boring).

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By jasta
    @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Jasta said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Why is this awesome? "
    I love PC's, but if one came to my house and tried to burn it down, I wouldn't be the least bit happy about it. "
    I'm all for Sony cracking down on Piracy but again, I wonder how many are really pirating PS3 games. Isn't it a royal pain in the ass to do all this crap to your system or something? "
    It would depend how much you intended to pirate on the system, £40 saving on every title you don't buy would mean alot to some people.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slaker117
    @Skytylz said:
    " If sony wins this lawsuit against Geohot that sets a terrible precedent about ownership.  I should be able to do anything I want with my console, if I wanna install a linux kernel I should be able to.  It's not really any different than hitting it with a hammer, I bought the damn thing.  However, buying a console or PC doesn't give me the right to steal things I haven't bought.   "
    This seems like the only really reasonable opinion to have on the matter. Unfortunately the law has trouble when it come to digital rights. There is too much gray zone in the fact that allowing open platforms leaves the door to piracy wide open. Corporations want it all locked down and their aren't many people willing to fight against that.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Man you guys have the worst sarcasm detectors ever!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By tourgen
    @CaptainCody:  I hope you're right and sanity wins the day.

I believe the DMCA has a clause in it that makes circumventing a copy protection scheme illegal - as in a federal crime.  Over the years people have chipped away at this to allow for circumvention in certain, very specific cases.  Phone jailbreaks are one example.

stacks of money > justice.
    DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I believe I visited his website once to see a post that he had made about something, I think it was his rap or whatever, that was in a news article. Well guess Sony now has my IP address....good thing I don't own a Playstation right now or I would feel really screwed.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @benjaebe said:
    " @PatriotsAreGod said:
    " Oh, wait a minute......who has been to those websites? Fess up, now. "
    Everyone has been to the websites. Most news sites even linked to Hotz's site themselves, not that it matters anyway. Before anyone else gets confused, let's be clear that Sony got permission to do this to help them judge the extent to which Hotz's site reached the public and in where most of these people lived. All they want is to get enough evidence to get the trial held in California because that's where they feel they have the best chance at winning. They aren't suing random people or anything like that, as I've seen people on other forums suggest. "
    Thanks. 

I think this is good.  
    @PatriotsAreGod
    said:
    " @Crixaliz said:
    " How come jailbreaking an iPhone is considered legal, but hacking the PS3 is not?   I haven't done either so I'm not sure, but aren't you just messing with the firmware in both cases? "
    Good question. I'm against piracy 100% but I seriously hope nobody (besides Sony) gives too much of a fuss about messing with their own stuff. Does anyone homebrew on the PS3 anyway? "
    Because the PS3 is struggling even now, and never was super successful (compared to the PS2, or any current generation consoles), and they can't afford assholes hacking their games, pirating as easily as they would on a PC, etc etc etc. Apple is going to be fine no matter how much piracy happens. Look at what Piracy has done to the PC market. Fewer games are made for PC every year, especially big budget games, and more and more shitty ports come from devs more than capable of putting out good ports. The PC market has taken a huge hit thanks to piracy (which leads to more piracy!) and it's not really getting much better. Steam helped, but things are still worse than they could be. Sony can't really afford that happening to their platform until at least the next generation and they release a reasonably priced, competitively times console and can forget the struggle that was keeping the PS brand afloat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.