Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Sony's Good Will Gesture is 30 Days Free Playstation Plus

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By N7

Notes handed out before a Sony press conference today (timed so conveniently at 1am EDT in the US, and noon on the Sunday of Golden Week in Japan) reveal that Sony plans to offer free downloads of unidentified "content," 30 days of free PlayStation Plus access to new and existing members, and 30 days of free Qriocity service. The paper also says that PSN service will be restored "soon."

Source: Joystiq.

The official thing hasn't started yet, but that should be interesting news to some. What do you guys think?

EDIT: The live stream can be found here(Thanks KaosAngel)

http://www.irwebcasting.com/live/110501/02/293c6325f4/index.html    

EDIT 2: Official Press Release VIA The Playstation Blog
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Punk1984

wow Joystiq rocker Reuters on this one. What Reuters said:

Sony said it would resume some PlayStation Network services this week and offer some free content to attract users back after a huge security breach that allowed the theft of personal information belonging to 77 million accounts.

Sony also said that it would create the post of Chief Information Security Officer and put in place stronger data encryption measures to bolster its protection of user information.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

People still gonna bitch, so I shall gladly read them under my post.

No complaints.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By s7evn

I'm curious about free "content". Playstation Plus and Qriocity don't really interest me though. I'll be happy to play online again.

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fourby

I'm not sure what else they could give. How happy I am with this depends on what kind of "content" is on offer.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Surkov

Also from Mark MacDonald's twitter: 

"PR in Sony conference packet says PSN back up "this week", PS3 to have forced system update that requires password change before login"
    npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By npeterson08

I think people will want a free game... But honestly they have nothing to complain about.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

Damnit, I'm not getting my PS3 until I graduate which is June. I'll have to go to my friends house everyday and get on.

@N7: You have to update your mini bio.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By BigBoss1911

Cant believe people are actually bitching about this, a free service went down for a little while, get over it, their giving us free downloads and 30 day trials to Playstation plus and Qriocity. I think that should be a good enough apology.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McGhee

30 days of free Plus. Will they mention that any of the "free" games that you get on Plus become unaccessible if your membership expires?

"Here's free Playstation Plus and all those free games that come with it, but if you want to KEEP those games, you have to sign up and start paying" LMAO
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By N7
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac:  I imagine it's like a free trial of Gamefly. Once it ends, you have you send your games back.

It gives people an incentive to keep the service.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

I'm sure it will probably have some kind of catch like it's only for yanks. Doesn't interest me at all any way, as the service doesn't offer anything that I care about. I guess it's better then nothing?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CL60
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Cant believe people are actually bitching about this, a free service went down for a little while, get over it, their giving us free downloads and 30 day trials to Playstation plus and Qriocity. I think that should be a good enough apology. "
    My god, it's not about PSN going down, it's about Sony having such bad security that our personal information is compromised. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with simply PSN being down.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Punk1984

Sony's press media site is getting hit hard, people really want to hear a flustered lady translate Kaz's speech in real time.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By N7
    @awesomeusername:  Oh man, I totally do. lol
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Cant believe people are actually bitching about this, a free service went down for a little while, get over it, their giving us free downloads and 30 day trials to Playstation plus and Qriocity. I think that should be a good enough apology. "
    Did you not hear about the massive amount of personal info that was stolen and possibly credit card info? 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By McGhee
    @N7 said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac:  I imagine it's like a free trial of Gamefly. Once it ends, you have you send your games back.It gives people an incentive to keep the service. "
    That's what I'm laughing about. This is supposedly a "good will gesture" when it's really just an attempt to get more subscribers. Does Sony have any shame?
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Punk1984
    @The_Laughing_Man: Sony just said there is no evidence of credit card numbers being accessed or of an customer damages related to the breach.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By BigBoss1911
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    Did you not hear about the massive amount of personal info that was stolen and possibly credit card info?  "
    Has there been any legitiment reports of people having money taken from their credit cards?
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Way to be vague yet again, Sony. Can you please just tell us what the free content is, for Christ's sake?

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@npeterson08 said:
    " I think people will want a free game... But honestly they have nothing to complain about. "
    Except for the possibility that their credit card information may have been stolen but that's no biggie, right?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Sony just said there is no evidence of credit card numbers being accessed or of an customer damages related to the breach.

"
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    Did you not hear about the massive amount of personal info that was stolen and possibly credit card info?  "
    Has there been any legitiment reports of people having money taken from their credit cards? "
    Having your home address. personal questions. Log in info and all that is a big deal as well. 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awesomeusername
    @N7: Mine is awesome and doesn't need change, ;D
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Punk1984
    @ChristianCastillo:  There is no evidence that credit card info was taken
    @The_Laughing_Man: I understand you're point i just want to bite the whole credit card thing in the butt since it has caused people to go a little nuts
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By N7
    @Punk1984:  Exactly. The guy just said that they wanted to let people know that they could be compromised, but there is no evidence whatsoever of any actually being compromised.

Although, this website is getting hit pretty hard. It has to buffer every six seconds. I can hardly understand what's going on.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Sony just said there is no evidence of credit card numbers being accessed or of an customer damages related to the breach.

"

They also just said they want you to throughly check their credit card statement, and check their purchase history, and change all of your passwords. It doesn't matter if they said theres no evidence, they still acknowledge that's it's a possibility. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ChristianCastillo:  There is no evidence that credit card info was taken
    @The_Laughing_Man: I understand you're point i just want to bite the whole credit card thing in the butt since it has caused people to go a little nuts
    "
    Credit cards are easily fixed. Call the bank. Course now that people has your address that info can be used. Also banks a wile ago said the credit card info was safe because of encryption. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andorski
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    Has there been any legitiment reports of people having money taken from their credit cards? "
    How would one know?  CC fraud happens often, and people give their CC information over the internet enough that I doubt one could trace the exact place where that information was stolen over the web,

And that shouldn't matter.  The mere fact that Sony cannot vouch for their members' information being private is in itself a failure.  As an example, just because Michael Jackson didn't drop the baby he was dangling over the side of the window doesn't mean that crazy ass didn't caused any harm.

May he rest in peace.
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Surkov
    @PrivateIronTFU: 
    The press conference is set to start any minute now(which should theoretically address this).
    All of this is speculation at the moment. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Way to be vague yet again, Sony. Can you please just tell us what the free content is, for Christ's sake? "
    My guess/hope is that the content they are giving isn't just first party stuff, so they have to discuss with other publishers/developers what will be given free and how they will be reimbursed.

Free PSN+ and Quiosity (sp? for that stupid name) isn't much for people who don't already use those services, but a free game would be a nice gesture.  I made a comment in another thread that all that Sony would have to do to keep me content is a free game and better security for my information, so this current offer is good to me as long as the free content is good.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By rjayb89

I'm alright with that. I was never hoping for anything in recompense in the first place.

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By npeterson08
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @ChristianCastillo:  There is no evidence that credit card info was taken"
    Everybody agrees, Sony seriously needs to buckle down on their security. Also, this ^
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By carlthenimrod

Can't say I really give a shit about a free month of PS+ or Qriocity. I'll be interested to see what this free download will be. My guess is it will be something shitty like a rental of Spider-Man 3. Whoopie!

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: It is also a possibility that your credit card info was stolen from any number of sources and circumstances; there is no evidence that it was stolen from Sony.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By N7

Two things just to point out before I forget:

Sony will pay the fee for replacement credit cards.

Sony has not had any reports of stolen credit cards.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Afroman269

Might actually turn on my PS3 now.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RsistncE
    @npeterson08: @Punk1984: Uh actually Sony didn't say that. They said they weren't sure if credit card information was stolen which is not at all like the statement, "There is no evidence that credit card information was stolen." Additionally a few news outlets reported last week that there was a leaked database of credit card numbers from PSN users floating around, so it seems that there indeed is some evidence that credit card numbers were stolen.

EIther way, the point is that Sony did a shit job of protecting the personal information of it's clients and should be held responsible for it. End of story. The least the can do is offer up some free stuff to those clients as a form of apology.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:

" @CL60: It is also a possibility that your credit card info was stolen from any number of sources and circumstances; there is no evidence that it was stolen from Sony. "

And your point? People hacked Sonys servers and Sony doesn't know if your credit cards were stolen or not.  Why does anything else matter?

Other personal information WAS stolen.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Surkov said:
    " @PrivateIronTFU: 
    The press conference is set to start any minute now(which should theoretically address this).
    All of this is speculation at the moment. 
    "
    Oh, gotcha.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ravensword

Honestly, im kinda getting my multiplats on 360 more anyway due to them being better over there, but I still play PS3 for exclusives and all that, so I hope they can come back from this.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Th3_James

Well, since I haven't really played anything on my ps3 in almost a year, i don't really care about playstation plus. Still, they fucked up on this pretty bad.

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 617_jbug

so PSN store will not be up this week?

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: My point is that they have no evidence that the credit card info was stolen so...it wasn't. Why do I always get into this with you?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CL60
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @CL60: My point is that they have no evidence that the credit card info was stolen so...it wasn't. Why do I always get into this with you? "
    And who cares if they said they currently have no evidence? They also told us that it's possible and told us to closely check our credit card statements and check our purchase history. So clearly they don't know.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BraveToaster

They need better translators for this press conference.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Punk1984
    @RsistncE: There is a press conference going on right now with Sony explaining what happened. They've said there is no evidence the credit card database was even accessed. Calm down. Yes Sony needs to make amends for this information theft. They are you're getting free content and a free month of PS+ and Qriosity (sp? gawd that name blows, I'm just calling it Music Unlimited)
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ravensword

I would like to get a informal poll from people posting here on wether or not this Data breach will change their gaming habits on PS3?
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#49  Edited By MightyDuck

Technically though, doesn't all PSN Plus content become unusable once your the service is not "re-upped."  So they'll be giving us content that we will lose in 30 days?

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Punk1984
    @CL60: *heavy sigh* They didn't know for sure then and they erred on side of caution. (Something we should be glad they did) They've investigated it now and have found no evidence the Credit Card database was ever accessed. Stop trying to fear monger it doesn't get anyone anywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.