Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Taking out the HDD.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fr0br0

Why the hell is it so hard to screw the damn HDD out of a PS3? I read the instructions on how to do it, even watched a video, but I still failed miserably. I tried about 5 different screw drivers and none of them worked. After a while I was left with a stripped screw. Finally after using the oversized screw driver by some strange miracle it worked. Now I only screw it back on half way to mske sure it isn't too tight.

And yes I used the screw driver that it said to use in the instructions, but it was too small.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

they should really fix that.
    can't wait till i upgrade mine.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

A tip if the screwdriver can move at all when in the screw it can and will strip it.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I didn't have a problem getting it out of the system. I had one hell of a time with one of the small screws connecting the HDD to the incasement, stripped one of the screws and thought I might not get it off. Sony tightened those sukkas WAY too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fr0Br0 said:
    "Why the hell is it so hard to screw the damn HDD out of a PS3? I read the instructions on how to do it, even watched a video, but I still failed miserably. I tried about 5 different screw drivers and none of them worked. After a while I was left with a stripped screw. Finally after using the oversized screw driver by some strange miracle it worked. Now I only screw it back on half way to mske sure it isn't too tight.

And yes I used the screw driver that it said to use in the instructions, but it was too small."
    It's actually really easy, you just have to be gentle and use a screw driver as well as using a knife or something to twist it.
    Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
    Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa
    hush404 said:
    "I didn't have a problem getting it out of the system. I had one hell of a time with one of the small screws connecting the HDD to the incasement, stripped one of the screws and thought I might not get it off. Sony tightened those sukkas WAY too much."
    Exact same thing happened to me. While it was a simple process that step took way longer than it should have.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr_shiggityshwa said:
    "hush404 said:
    "I didn't have a problem getting it out of the system. I had one hell of a time with one of the small screws connecting the HDD to the incasement, stripped one of the screws and thought I might not get it off. Sony tightened those sukkas WAY too much."
    Exact same thing happened to me. While it was a simple process that step took way longer than it should have."
    Yeah I thought like 3 mins and I'd be done but.. it was like 20 mins, a slightly bent HDD incasement, stripped screw and a frustrated gamer later :P
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DrPepper1990

They probably were not thinking too much about that aspect when they were launching the ps3. They threw out the point that you can change hdd, but they weren't focused on it enough to realize that they made the screws way to hard to get out without stripping the screws. But for now, I dont know. I'm sure they have recieved several complaints on the matter and I would think that they are going to change it eventually.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

I had no problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.