The best games for the system

#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

Hey guys, i'm about to pick up a PS3 after largely ignoring it this generation. I have pretty much all the greats from the last 7 years or so on my xbox and PC and i'm trying to put together a cohesive list of the best ps3 games so i can enjoy them before the generation is out.

What are your reccomendations?

Wipeout HD and journey are top of my list.

#2 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -
#3 Posted by Dr_Acula (27 posts) -
#4 Posted by coribald (284 posts) -

I did the same - both Ratchet and Clank Future games are great if you're into that kinda thing (and really, who isn't?). Heavy Rain is awesome, and of course, Uncharted 1-3.

#5 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (580 posts) -

Resistance trilogy was pretty good, as were the Ratchet and Clank games.

And, if you want, I really enjoyed the Yakuza games this generation, but I was already a franchise fan last generation, I think they kind of need a background knowledge of the story of the first two games on PS2

#6 Posted by Dr_Acula (27 posts) -

@SecondPersonShooter said:

Resistance trilogy was pretty good, as were the Ratchet and Clank games.

And, if you want, I really enjoyed the Yakuza games this generation, but I was already a franchise fan last generation, I think they kind of need a background knowledge of the story of the first two games on PS2

Well they are releasing a HD pack of Yakuza 1 & 2 in Japan on PS3, hopefully we get it here. For a new player Yakuza 2 is unimportant storywise; Yakuza 3 & 4 have excellent summaries of 1 in them.

#7 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

I'll give you the mains:

inFAMOUS Saga= Includes both inFAMOUS games and all DLC, including the expansion inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood

Uncharted Dual Pack= Includes the first 2 games for $30

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception GOTY Edition

LittleBigPlanet 2

Journey Collectors Edition= $30 & includes Journey, Flower, Flow, 3 mini games from thatgamecompany, the soundtracks and a month of PlayStation Plus.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Resistance Collection= Comes out this Winter with all 3 Resistance games and possibly all DLC's.

Killzone Trilogy= Includes all 3 Killzone games

Heavy Rain

God of War Saga= All 5 God of War games and a month of Playstation Plus.

Valkyria Chronicles

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Super Stardust HD

The Unfinished Swan

There you go @Jadeskye: You can also get the HD collections of PS2 games like The Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Ico & Shadow of the Colossus.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (4338 posts) -

MGS4 is all you need /thread

#9 Posted by EVO (3780 posts) -

Wipeout HD and Journey is an excellent start. After those I'd play Heavy Rain or the Uncharted trilogy. Then Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

#10 Edited by Autumn_Thunder (79 posts) -

I know Brad didn't like it but you should pick up Dead Nation. Actually. it and a bunch of Halloween games I think are on sale now on PSN.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned echochrome or Tokyo Jungle.

#11 Posted by Raven10 (1587 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I'll give you the mains:

inFAMOUS Saga= Includes both inFAMOUS games and all DLC, including the expansion inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood

Uncharted Dual Pack= Includes the first 2 games for $30

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception GOTY Edition

LittleBigPlanet 2

Journey Collectors Edition= $30 & includes Journey, Flower, Flow, 3 mini games from thatgamecompany, the soundtracks and a month of PlayStation Plus.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Resistance Collection= Comes out this Winter with all 3 Resistance games and possibly all DLC's.

Killzone Trilogy= Includes all 3 Killzone games

Heavy Rain

God of War Saga= All 5 God of War games and a month of Playstation Plus.

Valkyria Chronicles

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Super Stardust HD

The Unfinished Swan

There you go @Jadeskye: You can also get the HD collections of PS2 games like The Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Ico & Shadow of the Colossus.

This pretty much covers it outside of the Motorstorm games if you like racing games. Skip the first. The second two are great.

#12 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

By the way before you play MGS4, don't forget to play the other 4. MGS1, 2, 3 and Peacewalker. Also on PS3.

#13 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -

I know most of them have been said here already, but I'll throw out my lists.

Games you should look into, but I haven't played yet

I would also say grab PS+, I have a ton a games from that service. Much more than I have time to play right now. A lot of full retail releases too.

#14 Posted by gaboi2010 (15 posts) -

Games I have so far........

Madden 09

Ridge Racer 7

MLB 09 The Show

Midnight Club Los Angeles

Dirt 3

Little Big Planet Karting

Little Big Planet

Little Big Planet 2

Grand Tursimo 5 XL

Call Of Duty MW

Need For Speed The Run

Need For Speed Most Wanted 2

WWE 12

-------------------------------------------------

Exremeauto85 = PSN ID ADD ME!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.