The best PS3 game of its life ....so far!

  • 137 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by Rekt_Hed (835 posts) -

I know its probably way to early to get any sort of proper choice but was just curious to see where you guys weigh in on this as this will (most likely for the love of god) be the year the new hardware will be taking over.

So this is your top game that has come out exclusively for the PS3 since the PS3 became a thing!

My personal top game has to be Uncharted 2 just from raising the bar so high in terms of production, game play and adding multi player that I lost so many god damn awesome hours to.

Whats your favorite exclusive so far this gen for PS3?

#2 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

Heavy Rain.

#3 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

Either Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2. Coincidentally, both of the titles mentioned in the thread so far.

Those are games so good that they nearly transcend the format.

Note: I'm not interested in arguing about Heavy Rain, if anyone intends to. I think it's a masterpiece, and don't particularly care whether you disagree or not.

#4 Posted by TheHT (10294 posts) -

Demon's Souls

#5 Posted by Yummylee (20610 posts) -
  1. Uncharted 2
  2. Demon's Souls
  3. Heavy Rain

Though I see my top 3 have already been posted x)

Online
#6 Posted by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

Uncharted 2 or Journey they're both great games.

#7 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Uncharted 2 is honestly a mind blower

#8 Posted by Mikey2D (217 posts) -

I'd agree with most people that Uncharted 2 is the best, if not one of the best games you can get for the PS3 and even for this entire generation.

Other games that stand out in my opinion would be Infamous / Infamous 2 and MGS 4.

#9 Posted by SolidOcelot (310 posts) -

Uncharted 2, but ask me on another day and it could just as easily be Metal Gear Solid 4

#10 Posted by TheHT (10294 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

Uncharted 2 is honestly a mind blower

I really wish Uncharted 3 came out better. Between the disappearance of Cutter due to the Hobbit, the weirdness with Talbot near the end, and the seemingly needless chapters, it wasn't nearly as tight a package as Uncharted 2. Because an Uncharted adventure in the middle east with Drake racing against an English secret society to find an ancient lost city that legend says houses a container filled with dark jinns sounds awesome.

#11 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

There are a bunch I like but the first two to come to mind were Valkyria Chronicles and MGS4.

#12 Edited by SeanFoster (837 posts) -

Heavy Rain, Journey and Uncharted 2. I don't think I could pick just one.

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4658 posts) -

Either Uncharted 2 or Journey. Right now i'm leaning towards the former but i'd have to think about it more to have a definite answer.

#14 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

Demon's Souls.

#15 Posted by mosespippy (3757 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles. Such a shame that SEGA has no clue how to handle the franchise.

#16 Posted by Yummylee (20610 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@OfficeGamer said:

Uncharted 2 is honestly a mind blower

I really wish Uncharted 3 came out better. Between the disappearance of Cutter due to the Hobbit, the weirdness with Talbot near the end, and the seemingly needless chapters, it wasn't nearly as tight a package as Uncharted 2. Because an Uncharted adventure in the middle east with Drake racing against an English secret society to find an ancient lost city that legend says houses a container filled with dark jinns sounds awesome.

Oh, Uncharted 3... Undoubtedly one of the most disappointing games for me this gen. /sigh

Online
#17 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3597 posts) -

A lot of people saying Heavy Rain huh? Ugh.

It's Uncharted 2 and MGS4 for me. Uncharted 2 was just that type of shooter done extremely well.

MGS4 just has those MGS moments though I'll always remember. It's what I bought my console for and it had flaws but I wasn't disappointed.

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I'll say personally, Uncharted. For everyone in general, Uncharted 2.

Which is to say, I admit 2 is a better game, but I like 1 more.

#19 Posted by Dixego (357 posts) -

Demon's souls forever.

#20 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -
#21 Edited by Branthog (7332 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

Either Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2. Coincidentally, both of the titles mentioned in the thread so far.

Those are games so good that they nearly transcend the format.

Note: I'm not interested in arguing about Heavy Rain, if anyone intends to. I think it's a masterpiece, and don't particularly care whether you disagree or not.

I think Heavy Rain is totally flawed, but it attempted something so few bother to try that it wins my affection merely for how high it tried to reach. It did something unique with the controller, the story, evolving and morphing plot, and an interesting story. The plot has holes. The voice acting was awful. The controllers were sometimes . . . lame. But as a whole, it's the thing I've most looked forward to having more of since it came out. For that alone, I think it has to come out as my favorite of the generation on PS3.

There have been a ton of other great PS3 exclusive, for sure. But we've gotten similar games to them on other platforms or we've had more iterations of the same thing on this platform. We have not had anything like Heavy Rain, since, though. :)

Oh, and it remains my favorite trailer, ever. It literally took my breath away and almost had my teary-eyed. It promised so much that the game, itself, couldn't deliver on. Oh -- and remember, it had the weird sex scene? And the almost-rape/burglary thing in the apartment? And dealing with the super depressed kid who survived? I hadn't seen anything like that since the trailer for the not-ever-going-to-actually-be-a-game trailer from last E3, with the sex-robot girl.

#22 Posted by believer258 (11057 posts) -

Resistance 3 and/or Journey.

Call me nuts but I don't think Uncharted 2 is anything close to "best game on PS3". It's a good game, but it's nothing particularly special to me. Essentially just an action movie that asks me to participate a bit in it, instead of a video game.

All right, now for my peculiar choice in Resistance 3. I really liked that game a lot. It's an odd duck in this era - a AAA first person shooter whose story contains characters that have more depth than a kiddie pool and that allows you to hold all of the guns and doesn't have refilling health and the guns actually have some interesting aspects to them? What is this black magic? But it exists, and it's pretty good! Resistance 1 was OK and Resistance 2 sucked so I didn't really think I'd like this one, but I did. The game showed how to make something "dark" without making it eye-rolling. Joe Capelli really seems like a great guy in a really, really bad situation and it's really getting to him. You can tell it in several different scenes where he grows more and more desperate.

...oh, the gameplay? Well, it's pretty good. It's quite comparable to Half-Life 2, actually, only minus the Gravity Gun and plus better weapons in general. There are some places where I think the game kinda falters but nothing that makes it terrible. For me, though, the real highlight of the game is how well the characters in it are written.

#23 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -

Heavy Rain. Jeff likes to say Mass Effect 2 is an important game we'll look at years down the line and I feel the same about Heavy Rain. I commend Sony for getting behind Quantic Dream in such a big way.

#24 Posted by audioBusting (1316 posts) -

Either Heavy Rain or Demon's Souls. It's strange how much one can love such flawed games.

#25 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

God Of War 3. I know, i know, it's not even the best one in the series, it did nothing new, but oh my god, what it did, it did so well. It was so awesome, you felt so powerful, and the visuals were mind-blowing. The soundtrack was epic, and not epic in a "Internet language" way. It was truly epic. It put a smile into my face. I fucking loved it.

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Uncharted 2.

#27 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

MGS4 or Heavy Rain. I don't like the Uncharted series at all. Love a bunch of the PSN exclusives too though.

#28 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -
@audioBusting

Either Heavy Rain or Demon's Souls. It's strange how much one can love such flawed games.

Even though flawed they do something different which is unfortunately rare in this industry.
#29 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles!

#30 Posted by Spoonman671 (4378 posts) -
#31 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -
@Spoonman671 I was so fucking mad when they decided to push out a shitty portable version of Modnation Racers for Vita. It didn't even have online play!! I agree that it is the greatest kart racer and although the PS3 version sold 1 million copies the Vita version and poor LittleBigPlanet Karting sales will shy Sony away from making another one.
#32 Posted by Raven10 (1598 posts) -

I'm going to echo everyone else in saying Uncharted 2 or Journey. Some runners up would be Resistance 3, Flower, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Uncharted 3. There are a couple incredible looking PS3 exclusives coming out this year, though, so that list could easily change.

#33 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Those infamous games are fantastic

#34 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (869 posts) -

I can most definitely say that right answer is not MGS4 or Valkyria Chronicles, I that comes from a dude that really loved MGS1, MGS3 and almost every turn based squad combat game out there. Both games suffered from boring gameplay interrupted by long amateurishly told cutscenes.

You should try Wipeout HD.

#35 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

#36 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I'm going with the popular vote and saying Uncharted 2. If The Last of Us shapes up to be as awesome as it looks, I might change my mind, but who knows? Also, does anyone else really wish there was at least one Zone of Enders game for the PS3? I definitely want the HD collection, but a current gen installment would be rad before the next console launches.

#37 Posted by GuyIncognito (438 posts) -

Demon's Souls.

#38 Posted by randiolo (1088 posts) -

at the moment its Uncharted 2, however i think The Last Of Us will have some something to say about that.

#39 Edited by Maidenmatt (28 posts) -

I Gotta say Uncharted 2, with an honorable mention to inFamous and Ratchet and clank: A crack in time

#40 Posted by Master_Funk (723 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for me. It completely blew away all other cinematic action experiences before it and was just an incredible adventure. Everyone is still trying to play catch up to the set pieces in that game.

#41 Posted by Pr1mus (3523 posts) -

One more vote for Uncharted 2.

#42 Posted by GuyIncognito (438 posts) -

@mwng said:

Valkyria Chronicles!

An excellent game. I'd say it did the jagged alliance/xcom thing better than xcom enemy unknown.

#43 Posted by StarvingGamer (7581 posts) -

In terms of importance, probably Heavy Rain

In terms of my enjoyment, probably MGS4

In terms of quality of experience, probably Valkyria Chronicles

#44 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@GetEveryone said:

Either Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2. Coincidentally, both of the titles mentioned in the thread so far.

Those are games so good that they nearly transcend the format.

Note: I'm not interested in arguing about Heavy Rain, if anyone intends to. I think it's a masterpiece, and don't particularly care whether you disagree or not.

I think Heavy Rain is totally flawed, but it attempted something so few bother to try that it wins my affection merely for how high it tried to reach.

There have been a ton of other great PS3 exclusive, for sure. But we've gotten similar games to them on other platforms or we've had more iterations of the same thing on this platform. We have not had anything like Heavy Rain, since, though.

That's essentially how I feel about it. Despite the game's numerous flaws, it's one of 2 or 3 games that I've ever actually felt emotionally connected to. I don't really feel I need to expand, as you've succinctly described why I have such strong feelings for it.

People trash that game, and it's totally their prerogative to do so... I just have no interest in listening to it at this point. Heavy Rain really did strike a nerve with me, and while I may never play it again, I'll always remember the time I did.

#45 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4493 posts) -

Uncharted 2. Demon's Souls deserves a shout-out and if Dark Souls didn't exist I could see it being number one but its sequel is ridiculously superior in just about every way imaginable so it kind of overrides its predecessor. As it stands Uncharted 3 is actually my number 2 game as it has the best horde mode in existence. There's so very few exclusives however so the list kind of drops off after that, honorable mentions to MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance 1, Infamous 2, and God of War 3.

#46 Posted by Branthog (7332 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@Branthog said:

@GetEveryone said:

Either Heavy Rain or Uncharted 2. Coincidentally, both of the titles mentioned in the thread so far.

Those are games so good that they nearly transcend the format.

Note: I'm not interested in arguing about Heavy Rain, if anyone intends to. I think it's a masterpiece, and don't particularly care whether you disagree or not.

I think Heavy Rain is totally flawed, but it attempted something so few bother to try that it wins my affection merely for how high it tried to reach.

There have been a ton of other great PS3 exclusive, for sure. But we've gotten similar games to them on other platforms or we've had more iterations of the same thing on this platform. We have not had anything like Heavy Rain, since, though.

That's essentially how I feel about it. Despite the game's numerous flaws, it's one of 2 or 3 games that I've ever actually felt emotionally connected to. I don't really feel I need to expand, as you've succinctly described why I have such strong feelings for it.

People trash that game, and it's totally their prerogative to do so... I just have no interest in listening to it at this point. Heavy Rain really did strike a nerve with me, and while I may never play it again, I'll always remember the time I did.

Yeah, I've really wanted to go back and play it again, but I've managed to stave that off. I kind of wanted to stick with David Cage's request that people play it and not try and get more different stories from it. Your experience is yours. It was your story. I really appreciate that and maybe I'll play it in a couple more years, when the first run through has been forgotten enough that I won't be trampling over the first experience. :)

#47 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Uncharted 2

There is no other.

#48 Posted by GunstarRed (4742 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4, followed by Journey, Uncharted 2 and A Crack In Time.

#49 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -

1) MGS4

2) Journey

3) Uncharted 2

#50 Posted by Snail (8476 posts) -

inFAMOUS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.