The joys of the model upgrade.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from the bulky 80GB model PS3 I bought in an MGS4 bundle for the new superslim. I ended up getting the 500GB model that includes GTAV. (My only other option was an Uncharted 3 bundle and, well, no. I'm may not be a GTA fan historically, but not so much that I'd go in that direction.) After some fumbling around with cords and system updates, I'm in the process of performing the data transfer from the old system to the new, praying that I didn't fuck up any of the instructions on Sony's site. But I've got about an hour and sixteen minutes before I know that for sure.

All that being said, the size difference in the hardware is ridiculous. It's like going from the black monolith to an original model PS2 (more or less).

Any of you gone for the slim upgrade?

#2 Edited by Marokai (2883 posts) -

I ended up getting the first 250GB slim Ps3, and although it's much nicer than the original behemoth that always seemed to overheat on me, the original slim model is strangely shaped. It's just kind of weirdly square. A friend of mine has the super slim, and despite feeling like the plastic is kind of cheap, I actually think it's kind of nice. I'd be interested in knowing if there was any noise difference between a top-loading system or a built-in disc reader.

#3 Edited by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

I really want to upgrade my phat PS3 to a regular Slim. I hear that the super slim model feels a lot cheaper than the Slim and to me it just doesn't look as good. I think the Slim was the best looking of the bunch.

#4 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

The 120GB slim was my first PS3. Funny thing was that my family didn't even have a HDTV back then. >.>

#5 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

@marokai said:

I'd be interested in knowing if there was any noise difference between a top-loading system or a built-in disc reader.

#6 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1563 posts) -

Out of curiousity, why the upgrade?

#7 Edited by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

Out of curiousity, why the upgrade?

My black monolith PS3 still has the 80GB hard drive it came with. I figured, if I wanted to upgrade the drive, I might as well go for a slimmer console, particularly since the stand my TV is on has extremely limited space.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

Everything transfer all right? And considering that you weren't a fan of earlier GTA games, how do you like this one if you've played it at all?

I've played a few hours of four, but I haven't played much of the older ones aside from messing with them a bit at my cousin's house when I was in middle school. This is the first one that I've really dived into. I'm having a lot of fun with it but it seems to have ignored some of the improvements that post-GTA IV open world games had, especially in regards to a GPS system and storing cars.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

Everything transfer all right? And considering that you weren't a fan of earlier GTA games, how do you like this one if you've played it at all?

I've played a few hours of four, but I haven't played much of the older ones aside from messing with them a bit at my cousin's house when I was in middle school. This is the first one that I've really dived into. I'm having a lot of fun with it but it seems to have ignored some of the improvements that post-GTA IV open world games had, especially in regards to a GPS system and storing cars.

I'm still waiting for the transfer to complete. It's going reeeeally slow. The screen says it's at 86% with eighteen minutes remaining, but that that time remaining count has been hilariously inaccurate. I hate to think about how much I'd be waiting if I had a larger hard drive to transfer data from.

As for GTAV, I'm might give it a go tonight after the transfer finishes or tomorrow. I have a feeling my thoughts on it will be better saved for a different post.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

And it finally finished! Sometime while I was out, finally getting something to eat, apparently. Everything seems to be in order. Just checking that the trophy sync works and I should be good to go.

#11 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@hailinel: with this purchase im guessing your not upgrading to ps4 at launch?

#12 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

I am getting a launch PS4, but since a PS4 can't play my PS3 games...

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@mrfluke said:

I am getting a launch PS4, but since a PS4 can't play my PS3 games...

true cause yea the gaikai stuff isnt till next year.

#14 Posted by subyman (599 posts) -

My launch 60GB PS3 went out 2 hours into GTA5 this week haha. I debated between buying a super slim or getting the 360 version. I decided to go ahead and get the super slim because I want to play The Last of Use and Gran Turismo 6. I picked up the GTA5 bundle and sold the extra copy on ebay for $60, so it mitigated the costs. I really like the smaller design. It weighs about half as much and fits in with my equipment much better. The heat coming out of the back is nothing compared to the original PS3. I can not hear the fan blowing at all.

However, the super slim's disk drive is much louder than the original PS3. Not necessarily when it is spinning, but when the head moves it is very noticeable. I never remember hearing the head move on the original. I finally got used to it, but it will probably bother me with quieter games.

The laser is very sensitive to smudges. I had a very light finger print on the GTA5 disk and it would not load. I had to clean it with a microfiber cloth to get it working. I never cleaned any disks at all with the original PS3.

Overall, for the price it is a good system.

#15 Edited by csl316 (8413 posts) -

I thought about upgrading from my launch 80 gig version, but backwards compatibility is still important to me. Even though I haven't used it in oh... 3 years or so?

But man, once I signed up to PS+ those 80 gigs filled out fast.

#16 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

How are you finding it? Thinking about picking one up myself as the fan on my 80gb gets obscenely loud, but heard the super slim isn't very quiet either.

#17 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@mrfluke: Gaikai won't work as well as a PS3, nor will it have all the games. Judging from how well Onlive did, it will be a while before we can play games with less than 200ms delay.

I'd rather play it with less than 50, which is impossible as of now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.