Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The ONLY reason i would trade my Phat PS3 for the newer one.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By m1k3

The phat PS3 is a very sexy looking device. But with that sexy-ness comes the hassle of maintaining it. As many ps3 owners would know, this thing attracts dust even if its in a relatively clean area. The plastic case literally gets magnetized enough to draw dust to it. Also, if you look around the case it has plenty of little holes and divets where dust can get trapped. When ever i vacuum my room i usually would take the nozzle and try to suck up the dust off my ps3 as well as well as my 360. 

Now after see screens off the newer model (Sony isn't really calling it the SLIM just yet), and see kotaku's "Five Senses Test," the new PS3 looks to have a more cleaner design with vents only in the back. The plastic also looks like it wouldn't attract much dust either.

Call me crazy, or a neat freak, but thats really the only reason i would trade in my phat PS3 for the newer one. I still love it either way.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By m1k3

The phat PS3 is a very sexy looking device. But with that sexy-ness comes the hassle of maintaining it. As many ps3 owners would know, this thing attracts dust even if its in a relatively clean area. The plastic case literally gets magnetized enough to draw dust to it. Also, if you look around the case it has plenty of little holes and divets where dust can get trapped. When ever i vacuum my room i usually would take the nozzle and try to suck up the dust off my ps3 as well as well as my 360. 

Now after see screens off the newer model (Sony isn't really calling it the SLIM just yet), and see kotaku's "Five Senses Test," the new PS3 looks to have a more cleaner design with vents only in the back. The plastic also looks like it wouldn't attract much dust either.

Call me crazy, or a neat freak, but thats really the only reason i would trade in my phat PS3 for the newer one. I still love it either way.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, but I have read reviews on it.  first to me it looks like a cheap piece of crap.  I dont like the matte design on pretty much anything.  A glossy white is usually easier to clean which is why I love the DS and wii look.  I wish the xbox was like this.  But the white matte is better than black matte.  As for the black matte, well that thing doesnt attract dust or finger prints as much as before, or at least its not noticeable since everything will get dust on it.  But it absorbs grease, as in any grease, from food or your natural finger prints, and that is much harder to clean than the glossy finish.  I would say the only thing positive about the new PS3 is the smaller size, lower power use and the new logo, not the Spider-Man font.  But the new material is not winning me over.
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Expletive

The only reason I would go for a new one is because the Fan on mine is faulty and blows at full speed at all times when it is on. 
    even during movies.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I love my dust magnet. The only thing that would make me get rid of it for one of those smaller newer ones is if the new ones have BC, which they don't.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By animateria

Never!

Never?

NEVER!

(I have a semi-BC model)

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shrig32

I don't really know why I'd prefer this to my launch 60GB other than the lower power consumption. It's a damn shame about the backwards compatibility. They've already shown to us that software emulation works fine almost all of the time. =(

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

I suppose I have a better reason to get the Slim now. Not so much worried about BC since I still play my PS2 a lot.

Just to clarify, is the BC just a software issure or is there hardware specifics? If it was software I really don't see why Sony shouldn't do it.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jangofett88

I won't because I have full hardware BC on mine.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Backwards compatability will be available on all PS3's..  eventually.
    So no, I don't see the point of trading it in.

Although the dust is annoying, and I do think the new ones look a lot better.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By subject2change

Well I have an 80gig MGS4 PS3 and was considering the swap to a SLIM if it had BC, unfortunately it doesn't. I do agree with the dust magnet it currently is however i do not like that you need to physically press buttons and the cheap look of it. Smaller, Quieter and less power is nice but I still prefer needed to be dusted daily big backwards compatible PS3.

And Sony said that BC will NOT be coming back, ever. Could it be a bluff to sell PS2s, sure but for dropping 50 bucks on a used PS2 it's not worth the wait of purchasing a PS3.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-backwards-compatibility-will-not-be-returning-145086.phtml

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Only reason i'll get a slim, is if my trusty 60GB happens to break on me xD.
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Why is everyone so down on the look of the new redesign? I don't buy consoles because the "look good", I buy them because I want to play the games on them. If the guts are essentially the same, I'm good.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @BiG_Weasel said:
    " Why is everyone so down on the look of the new redesign? I don't buy consoles because the "look good", I buy them because I want to play the games on them. If the guts are essentially the same, I'm good. "
    People are weird that way when it comes to consoles. You don´t see PC gamers bitch about cabinet designs, every time there is a new one.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

I hate the dust, I hate the finger prints but I love the full backwards compatibility, so I'm stayin' "phat".

whooping_crane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whooping_crane

The Reset and Eject buttons are now actual buttons that I can press rather than just slide my finger over them so I like that better than the current models.

roblopez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By roblopez

Only reason I'm giving my 60GB away to get a new Slim is because it's new. I like new stuff.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

i wouldn't trade in my ps3 for a smaller one. it's only like 2 months old and i like fat.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spike94

Am I in the minority of having a (seemingly) full BC PS3? 
    I received mine on the Christmas of 2007, if that makes a difference, which I'm sure it does. 
    But still, dang.
    Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spike94
    @PenguinDust said:
    "I hate the dust, I hate the finger prints but I love the full backwards compatibility, so I'm stayin' "phat". "

Amen, PS3 brother.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.