The Playstation 3 Controller and You

• 61 results
#1 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

My hands start to get sore and kind of cramp up a bit after playing on a PS3 controller for any significant length of time. Does anyone else have this problem?? I'm 6'3, which probably doesn't help. Wonder if Big Jeff ever experienced that. Hmm.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14757 posts) -

Not really. I've got pretty large hands too. You might be able to find a 3rd party controller of some sort with larger grips or something if you look hard enough.

#3 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

Never had any problems like that with the PS3 controller.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

My biggest problem with the controller is the battery life seems to really suck compared to my 360 pad.

#5 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Yep, the controller sucks, it's a big part of why I rarely use my PS3. Maybe there's a third-party out there with a bit better ergonomic design.

#6 Posted by bartok (2466 posts) -

No my only problem is I also have a 360 and it takes me a few moments to remember shooting is done with R1 not the weird trigger thing.   On the 3DS my pinky fingers will go numb if I play for an extended time.

#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

Nope, never had that problem before. The PS3's controller is probably my favorite to use.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Never had problems like that with any controller. 

#9 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I love the PS3 controller, I don't have very big hands though so maybe that's why.

#10 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
Never had problems like that with any controller. 
#11 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

If there is one thing I hope Sony does this next generation, is change the controller design. Other than preferring offset sticks, I would like a smaller dead zone. Solve those issues and I'm happy.

#12 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Sooty said:

My biggest problem with the controller is the battery life seems to really suck compared to my 360 pad.

How long have been using that controller? Maybe your battery is defective or just coming up to it's end. I know I recently had to get a new battery for my controller because the old one couldn't hold a charge for more then a day or two at best.

#13 Posted by 71Ranchero (2737 posts) -

The only controllers that have ever given me discomfort have been made by Nintendo. The buttons are always just too small and the D-pads are "sharp". The Dreamcast D-pad was also way too "sharp".

#14 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Only problem I had was a sore thumb after extended D-pad use in Rayman Origins.

#15 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

I have no qualms with it, you may want to try that ridiculous xtend play thing.

#16 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

No issues with it as far as hand cramp goes. I dislike the triggers though, too big and clumsy, Dualshock 2 had a better design.

#17 Edited by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

my hands cramp when i play psp, but then again im pretty sure I'm doing it wrong.

also, the dualshock 3 is a work of modern art, y'all are haters on the real

#18 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Sooty said:

How long have been using that controller? Maybe your battery is defective or just coming up to it's end. I know I recently had to get a new battery for my controller because the old one couldn't hold a charge for more then a day or two at best.

It probably is just that, I imported it from the US when the DS3 first came out which was uhh...2007 maybe?! Might just go ahead and buy a new one soon.

#19 Posted by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

Love the design. My favorite controller.

#20 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

The shoulder buttons are atrocious and feel very unresponsive compared to its ps2 counterpart.

The Ps2 version was pressure sensitive aswell so why they went for these triggers that make your fingers slide off when being pressed for any length of time is beyond me.

#21 Posted by SSully (4153 posts) -

I have no issues with the PS3 controller. I find I get the same amount of precision and comfort as I do with the 360 controller.

#22 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

Now that I think about it, the only game I tried to play on my PS3 that gave me cramps and soreness was Resistance. Heavy Rain was fine, if I remember right. LA Noire is sitting there, waiting to be popped in. Hopefully it's ok too. Mayhaps I just can't do shooters on the PSTriple :\

#23 Posted by Village_Guy (2544 posts) -

Horrible design in my opinion, it doesn't feel natural to hold and feels like it was designed by someone who had abnormal hands.

#24 Posted by Beforet (2916 posts) -

I have to admit, the 360 controller feels a lot better. But I don't have any problems with the dualshock, and it has much nicer bumpers.

#25 Posted by Stepside (509 posts) -

DualShock 3 > Xbox360 controller imo.

#26 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I like it. The only problem I have with it is that it's almost impossible to get rid of dust on some parts of it, which drives me insane, but is probably really nitpicky for everyone else.

#27 Posted by Spoonman671 (4595 posts) -

You're gripping it too tightly.

#28 Edited by tourgen (4465 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Maybe you've already done it, but I had the same problem until I set the auto-off setting for the controller. It was configured out of the box to stay on and not shutdown like the 360 controller. Seemed alright after that.

anyway, yep, controller is a little too small. the sides don't sit against the insides of my palms because my fingers are pretty long. I kind of have to perch it against the insides of the bottom of my pinkies. It's a pain and I can't do it too long. It also puts the sticks at bad angles to my thumbs so I loose some precision.

#29 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@mordukai said:

@Sooty said:

It probably is just that, I imported it from the US when the DS3 first came out which was uhh...2007 maybe?! Might just go ahead and buy a new one soon.

Try also looking at buying a new battery. I know over here I can get them for 5-7 bucks.

#30 Posted by AuthenticM (3710 posts) -

No problems at all. Best controller ever.

#31 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

Nope, me and my controller get on fine

#32 Posted by NightSkies (24 posts) -

I am in the same boat. The controller is simply too small for my giant hands. I really wish Sony would offer multiple sizes of controllers.

#33 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

It does the job. I prefer the 360 controller for most games, but it doesn't bother me significantly. I do dislike the d pad and the stick placement though. The d pad cuts into my thumb making it sore. It's more functional than the 360 d pad but less comfortable.

#34 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

@RedCricketChase: @Sooty: I have the exact opposite experience with the PS3 controller. However, my hands used to get sore really fast. Now, it's the same issues with the 360 controller. It's just a matter of spending time with it imo. Your hands will adapt eventually.

#35 Edited by ProfessorEss (7318 posts) -

I'm quite used to both the PS3 and 360 controllers but I do gotta say the PS3 shoulder buttons drive me up the wall.

They occasionally leave my trigger fingers a little stiff ("hook-finger") after extensive play - especially playing driving games where I have to hold it down almost the whole time.

#36 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

My hands are pretty small so I actually have the opposite problem, the PS3 controller is super comfortable but using a 360 one for too long causes me to cramp up a bit.

#37 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (463 posts) -

I found with the PS3 controller that i loved it other than the R2/L2 trigger things. I fixed that with a $5 set of extenders that clipped on them though. One of the things I like best about it is the way the L1/R1 on top are orientated more level compared to the 360 controller or even the classic controller pro as I just discovered the other day. The way they are angled actually makes my fingers hurt when I use them :/. Although, holding them now, I think the bigger issue is the way my fingers naturally lay on the dual shock, they sit on the L1/R1 buttons and I move them down to the triggers where as on the other two it's the opposite. Also there seems to be more room between the shoulder buttons and the rest of the controller on the DS3 compared to the other two.

#38 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

@RedCricketChase said:

My hands start to get sore and kind of cramp up a bit after playing on a PS3 controller for any significant length of time. Does anyone else have this problem?? I'm 6'3, which probably doesn't help. Wonder if Big Jeff ever experienced that. Hmm.

Does this problem occur on PS2 controller as well or just PS3?

#39 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

It mostly feels the same as a ps1 and ps2 controller so I've been using it for so long I never really feel like there's anything wrong with it.  Except the half-assed triggers, those are bad.  I'd rather standard r2 buttons over 360 triggers or ps3 convex triggers.

#40 Posted by Slaker117 (4837 posts) -

I too have big hands, and find the controller quite uncomfortable to use. I don't get cramps from it, but it's still just generally annoying.

#41 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

The controller is the only reason I haven't bought a PS3. I've never liked Playstation controllers.

#42 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

I'm 6'5'' and I don't have any problems.

#43 Posted by Ares42 (2619 posts) -

I've had problems with both PS3 and 360 controllers but in the end wasn't the controllers fault in either case, it was my grip. You just need to learn what fingers to use. On the Dualshock I mostly grip with the middle finger (gripping with the pinky leads to cramps), while on the 360 controller I grip the ring-finger and pinky equally (gripping with middle finger hurts because of the ridges). I had serious issues playing my 360 for a long time when I bought it after having owned a PS3 for 2 years because I used my dualshock grip on the controller.

#44 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Not the PS3 controller, now the 360 controller on the other hand..

#45 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I've never had cramping issues, but I dislike the triggers and analogue sticks. I'm really hoping they have a completely new design for the next console. At this point, it feels like they're still just using the PSOne pad, but tacking on as many new features as possible, hoping it doesn't become obsolete.

#46 Posted by Yummylee (21496 posts) -

I find the 360 controller to be so much more comfortable, but I've never had any problems with the PS3's, though.

#47 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

I'm really glad to find out I wasn't the only person with the cramping issue :D Not sure why haha

#48 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

both 360 and ps3 controllers are fine for me, the vita on the other hand is one of the most uncomfortable things to play because there is no real correct way to hold it. The best way for me is to hold it resting on my middle finger on the rear touchpad, but then I would be touching the touch pad, so that won't work. That's the real issue here, the vita, not the dualshock.

#49 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

The controller is the only reason I haven't bought a PS3. I've never liked Playstation controllers.

That would be sad if that's the only reason, there are plenty of 3rd party controllers that are the exact shape of the 360 controllers for ps3.

#50 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Yeah my hands cramp using the PS3 controller, I just really don't like how it rests in my hand, the ends dig into my palm. Also having the two analog sticks on the bottom is such a terrible design, I have no idea why they kept it. It's't not very ergonomic at all to have the main movement controls lower than the thumb's natural rest state.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.