The Super Slim PlayStation 3 Is For Me!

Posted by Colorwind (257 posts) -

Last week we were introduced to a new model of the PlayStation 3, the CECH-4000. Commonly referred to as the Super Slim model, the new design will have a top loading disc tray that slides to left rather than pop up, will be 25% lighter and smaller than the previous PS3 slim model and will come in 250GB and 500GB hard drive versions. The 250GB version will retail for $269 and comes with the Game of the Year edition of Uncharted 3, as well as $30 worth of content for Dust 514, an upcoming Free to Play FPS title. The 500GB version will retail for $299 and will include Assassin’s Creed III. I wasn’t expecting a new model to be announced but it does make sense. Sony waited three years after the console’s original launch to release the PS3 Slim and it’s been three years since then. I’m hoping to pick up the 500GB version this Christmas (after not getting a PS3 last Christmas in lieu of a Xbox 360) and I actually am really impressed with this new model.

The reason is two fold. One, the redesign is noticeably smaller than the last model and especially the original model and two, there are actual differences between this model and the previous two. The PlayStation 3 Slim model wasn’t really so much a slimmer model as it was an attempt by Sony to have a cheaper model to sell so it can make money off its at the time unprofitable and flagging console. The PlayStation 3 Slim is basically just a original PlayStation 3 with a matte finish and a bigger hard drive, something possible with the original model anyway. While I appreciate the matte finish (console developers, stop putting glossy finishes on hardware), I didn’t like the removal of the PS2 compatibility and only wanted one because of the price and the convenience of not having to find an original model with a decent hard drive. In short, the slim is basically a feature anemic version of the original and the option we consumers had to buy because Sony said so.

This new slim however is different. Let me explain why it is since it suffers from some of the same problems as the PS3 Slim. Smaller, cheaper models is nothing new in video games. The NES 2 saved money by making it a top loader instead of the complicated VCR style door of the original and removed composite cable support. The Genesis 3 removed the extra internal connections and expansion port needed to hook up a Sega CD, Sega 32X or Power Base Converter for Master System games. The Xbox 360 Slim got rid of the replaceable face plates and memory unit ports. The reason for all of these changes for all of these model was that they were necessary. They all give something to the consumer that they would appreciate.

The NES 2 fixed the red blinking light problem the original model had by removing the 10NES chip and the connection issues brought on by the VCR design was taken out by replacing it with the common and more reliable top loading port. Furthermore, a new redesigned controller addressed the complaints with the original controller and the removal of the composite cable support was due to not many people using it. The Genesis 3 did something similar. The Genesis 3 was for people who only wanted a Sega Genesis, not for hooking up a Sega CD, Sega 32X or Power Base Converter. Also it came with a six button controller, which at the time of its release was almost mandatory for many games for the console, complete with turbo and slow functions. The Xbox 360 Slim is almost superior to the original model in almost every way. There’s more USB ports, better designed touch buttons, Wi-Fi support built in, native Kinect support, and a bigger hard drive (in one of the versions), not to mention it fixed the infamous red ring of death (sort of).

The difference is there’s there’s a market for each version of these smaller models I just described. The NES 2 was for those who had problems with the original, the Genesis 3 was for those who didn’t want to mess with the less popular Sega CD, 32X and Master System, and the Xbox 360 was simply an improvement over the original. The PS3 was none of these things. For the consumer. It made sense for Sony internally. It saved them money and made the console cheaper. The consumer however just got a gutted version of the PS3 that had more hard drive space and a slightly smaller model. There were not any real incentive to like this model over the original other than convenience.

This new Super Slim model or Anorexic model or PS3 cubed as I like to call it does have something to offer. While the hardest of hardcore gamers will probably still say the original model with a higher capacity hard drive installed is the way to go, less than that can appreciate what’s being offered here. First off, this console is significantly smaller than the original. It’s 50% smaller and lighter than the fat model and that’s a welcome change. That original system was a beast and quite frankly kind of unsightly. Secondly, the horizontal sliding top loading is more reliable than the temperamental albeit fancier slot loading drive the previous models have. I’ve read so many posts online about how someone lost a DVD or a game because their PS3 stopped working with the disc still inside. Now, should your PS3 fail, you can at least get the disc out. Also, since it doesn’t pop up like most top loaders, you can still place your console in a tight enclosed space.

Now I will say that there is one major problem with this new model: the price. When these new redesigns are released, one of the features of the new model is for it to be cheaper in design. When the NES 2 was released, it was only $50 for example. The PS3 Super Slim versions is retailing at $269 and $299. The current PS3 Slim versions retails for $249 and $299, which is more and the same respectively. This is actually going backwards. Now these are bundles and include more than just the system, unlike the current models. Therefore, once these bundles are out of print, probably after the holiday season is over, we’ll probably see an announcement of how much these versions will be by themselves. Still, retailers will probably be looking to burn off their inventory of the older models by making bundles themselves at cheaper prices, especially on Black Friday. There’s less incentive to do this with the newer model. So that’s not a smart move but hopefully the price of the console itself will be $200 and $250, which will make it cheaper than the Xbox 360, its main competitor.

This PS3 succeeds in what other redesigns, like the SNES and Sony’s own PS one and PS2 Slim, do. It removes components not commonly used and makes the console smaller and changes some form factors. I’m hoping to have the cash to buy it this Christmas (we’ll see) and finally rejoin the PlayStation Nation. I have seven digital games waiting for me. If I do get it, I’ll look at the suggestions given to me last year when I had originally planned to get a PS3.

#1 Posted by Colorwind (257 posts) -

Last week we were introduced to a new model of the PlayStation 3, the CECH-4000. Commonly referred to as the Super Slim model, the new design will have a top loading disc tray that slides to left rather than pop up, will be 25% lighter and smaller than the previous PS3 slim model and will come in 250GB and 500GB hard drive versions. The 250GB version will retail for $269 and comes with the Game of the Year edition of Uncharted 3, as well as $30 worth of content for Dust 514, an upcoming Free to Play FPS title. The 500GB version will retail for $299 and will include Assassin’s Creed III. I wasn’t expecting a new model to be announced but it does make sense. Sony waited three years after the console’s original launch to release the PS3 Slim and it’s been three years since then. I’m hoping to pick up the 500GB version this Christmas (after not getting a PS3 last Christmas in lieu of a Xbox 360) and I actually am really impressed with this new model.

The reason is two fold. One, the redesign is noticeably smaller than the last model and especially the original model and two, there are actual differences between this model and the previous two. The PlayStation 3 Slim model wasn’t really so much a slimmer model as it was an attempt by Sony to have a cheaper model to sell so it can make money off its at the time unprofitable and flagging console. The PlayStation 3 Slim is basically just a original PlayStation 3 with a matte finish and a bigger hard drive, something possible with the original model anyway. While I appreciate the matte finish (console developers, stop putting glossy finishes on hardware), I didn’t like the removal of the PS2 compatibility and only wanted one because of the price and the convenience of not having to find an original model with a decent hard drive. In short, the slim is basically a feature anemic version of the original and the option we consumers had to buy because Sony said so.

This new slim however is different. Let me explain why it is since it suffers from some of the same problems as the PS3 Slim. Smaller, cheaper models is nothing new in video games. The NES 2 saved money by making it a top loader instead of the complicated VCR style door of the original and removed composite cable support. The Genesis 3 removed the extra internal connections and expansion port needed to hook up a Sega CD, Sega 32X or Power Base Converter for Master System games. The Xbox 360 Slim got rid of the replaceable face plates and memory unit ports. The reason for all of these changes for all of these model was that they were necessary. They all give something to the consumer that they would appreciate.

The NES 2 fixed the red blinking light problem the original model had by removing the 10NES chip and the connection issues brought on by the VCR design was taken out by replacing it with the common and more reliable top loading port. Furthermore, a new redesigned controller addressed the complaints with the original controller and the removal of the composite cable support was due to not many people using it. The Genesis 3 did something similar. The Genesis 3 was for people who only wanted a Sega Genesis, not for hooking up a Sega CD, Sega 32X or Power Base Converter. Also it came with a six button controller, which at the time of its release was almost mandatory for many games for the console, complete with turbo and slow functions. The Xbox 360 Slim is almost superior to the original model in almost every way. There’s more USB ports, better designed touch buttons, Wi-Fi support built in, native Kinect support, and a bigger hard drive (in one of the versions), not to mention it fixed the infamous red ring of death (sort of).

The difference is there’s there’s a market for each version of these smaller models I just described. The NES 2 was for those who had problems with the original, the Genesis 3 was for those who didn’t want to mess with the less popular Sega CD, 32X and Master System, and the Xbox 360 was simply an improvement over the original. The PS3 was none of these things. For the consumer. It made sense for Sony internally. It saved them money and made the console cheaper. The consumer however just got a gutted version of the PS3 that had more hard drive space and a slightly smaller model. There were not any real incentive to like this model over the original other than convenience.

This new Super Slim model or Anorexic model or PS3 cubed as I like to call it does have something to offer. While the hardest of hardcore gamers will probably still say the original model with a higher capacity hard drive installed is the way to go, less than that can appreciate what’s being offered here. First off, this console is significantly smaller than the original. It’s 50% smaller and lighter than the fat model and that’s a welcome change. That original system was a beast and quite frankly kind of unsightly. Secondly, the horizontal sliding top loading is more reliable than the temperamental albeit fancier slot loading drive the previous models have. I’ve read so many posts online about how someone lost a DVD or a game because their PS3 stopped working with the disc still inside. Now, should your PS3 fail, you can at least get the disc out. Also, since it doesn’t pop up like most top loaders, you can still place your console in a tight enclosed space.

Now I will say that there is one major problem with this new model: the price. When these new redesigns are released, one of the features of the new model is for it to be cheaper in design. When the NES 2 was released, it was only $50 for example. The PS3 Super Slim versions is retailing at $269 and $299. The current PS3 Slim versions retails for $249 and $299, which is more and the same respectively. This is actually going backwards. Now these are bundles and include more than just the system, unlike the current models. Therefore, once these bundles are out of print, probably after the holiday season is over, we’ll probably see an announcement of how much these versions will be by themselves. Still, retailers will probably be looking to burn off their inventory of the older models by making bundles themselves at cheaper prices, especially on Black Friday. There’s less incentive to do this with the newer model. So that’s not a smart move but hopefully the price of the console itself will be $200 and $250, which will make it cheaper than the Xbox 360, its main competitor.

This PS3 succeeds in what other redesigns, like the SNES and Sony’s own PS one and PS2 Slim, do. It removes components not commonly used and makes the console smaller and changes some form factors. I’m hoping to have the cash to buy it this Christmas (we’ll see) and finally rejoin the PlayStation Nation. I have seven digital games waiting for me. If I do get it, I’ll look at the suggestions given to me last year when I had originally planned to get a PS3.

#2 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

good read.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.