The Top Five Games For Your Playstation 3

Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

I was eating lunch with some friends at work and we started talking about video games. The coworkers I was eating with are both sports nuts, probably as passionate about them as I am about video games. One of them (we’ll call him Schmandrew) said he owned a PS3 just for the yearly sports titles and the built in Blu Ray player. There’s nothing wrong with that, but as a geek, it was my duty to scoff. So Schmandrew asked me what I’d recommend as the top five games to play on his system. Specifically, he asked if I’d put it in a blog post. Here it is: The top five games to play on your Playstation 3 (Note: These are PS3 exclusive games. As in, only available on this system. I’ll make a different list for excellent multiplatform games).

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

The Uncharted series started as a modern riff on Indiana Jones, but after three entries, Uncharted has eclipsed Indy as the new template for archeological adventure. The games star treasure hunter Nathan Drake, a guy that can’t seem to stay away from trouble. The way the action packed story is seamlessly married with excellent gameplay makes it feel as if you’re playing a summer blockbuster movie. Praised as one of the best games of 2009, Uncharted 2 is perfectly paced, looks gorgeous, and it’s a blast to play. There are action games, and there’s Uncharted 2—a must play if you own a PS3.

Complexity: The controls are fairly intuitive. You jump, you shoot, you take cover when others are shooting at you. I’d recommend the easiest difficulty setting for those new to shooting dudes in video games. Familiarity with the first game is not necessary.

Also see: Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (available 11/1/11)

Portal 2

Portal 2 is a puzzle game unlike any anything else, unless you played the first Portal, which isn’t required but still highly recommended (also, the first one is only three-ish hours long). You play as Chell, a test subject trapped in an Aperture Science testing facility. To escape, you’ll need to use a portal gun to solve tricky mind bending puzzles, all while being berated by a malevolent testing robot. I think it is one of the funniest games of all time, featuring excellent vocal performances from Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons and Ellen McLain. (side note: Portal 2 is not really a PS3 exclusive, but the PS3 version is the one to buy. If you purchase it new, it comes with a free copy of the game for PC. The game runs well on most computers, and the saves are in the cloud, so you can stop on your PS3, and pick up on your laptop!)

Complexity: Portal is a first person game, which can be disorienting to newcomers, but the game does a good job of easing you into it. The puzzles are expertly constructed. They’re just difficult enough to cause you to scratch your head, but never so much that you want to give up. Few games leave you feeling like a genius just for beating them.

Also see: Portal (available in The Orange Box for PS3)

Heavy Rain

I didn’t particularly like everything about Heavy Rain (partly because my copy was a dud that included a game breaking bug), but it’s definitely a unique experience worth checking out if you own a PS3. This isn’t a game in the traditional sense; it’s more like a playable crime drama. You control multiple people--a troubled father, a private investigator, an FBI agent and more--all out to catch the Origami Killer. Their stories intertwine and collide based on the decisions you make. Everyone will have a slightly different Heavy Rain experience. Dark and brooding, Heavy Rain has fantastic atmosphere and a one-of-a-kind presentation.

Complexity: It might look intimidating, but this game is super easy to control. Simple button presses and large prompts make it easy to guide the characters through the story.

Also see: LA Noire

LittleBigPlanet 2

Everyone, regardless of video game familiarity, has likely seen Mario in action at some point in their lives. LittleBigPlanet 2 is a modern platformer with classic roots in the Mario-era of games. You’ll move from left to right jumping over enemies and solving light puzzles. LittleBigPlanet 2 has a wonderful arts and crafts aesthetic and some of the most creative level design I’ve ever seen. With a charming story and endearing design, LittleBigPlanet 2 is as fun to look at as it is to play.

Complexity: This one is pretty simple, although I’ve seen the floaty controls frustrate a few non-gamers. My advice is to make sure you always mash the jump button hard. If you want to dig deeper there’s an endless number of levels online, made using the games super deep (and super complex) level creator.

Also see: LittleBigPlanet (not required playing, but still fun)

MotorStorm Apocalypse

The big boy in exclusive PS3 racing is Gran Turismo 5, but I think MotorStorm is more approachable. The loose arcade controls will have you slipping and tumbling through tracks that deform and change each lap. It’s a visually stunning game that offers a good sense of speed and a nice variety of vehicles. If the world ended, and people decided to compete in dangerous multi-vehicle races, it would probably be a lot like Motorstorm Apocalypse.

Complexity: The racing genre is split into two categories: arcade and simulation. This is an arcade game, meaning the handling is unrealistic and often floaty. Simulation games, like Gran Turismo 5, aim to recreate the feel of actually driving real world cars. If you’ve never played a racing video game before, MotorStorm is a great intro to the genre.

Also see: Gran Turismo 5

There you go. If you only ever play five games on your Playstation 3, you’ll have a great time with these ones. Next time I’ll tackle the five games to play on your Xbox 360, followed by another entry detailing five games available for both systems. Now go, play some games!

#1 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

I was eating lunch with some friends at work and we started talking about video games. The coworkers I was eating with are both sports nuts, probably as passionate about them as I am about video games. One of them (we’ll call him Schmandrew) said he owned a PS3 just for the yearly sports titles and the built in Blu Ray player. There’s nothing wrong with that, but as a geek, it was my duty to scoff. So Schmandrew asked me what I’d recommend as the top five games to play on his system. Specifically, he asked if I’d put it in a blog post. Here it is: The top five games to play on your Playstation 3 (Note: These are PS3 exclusive games. As in, only available on this system. I’ll make a different list for excellent multiplatform games).

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

The Uncharted series started as a modern riff on Indiana Jones, but after three entries, Uncharted has eclipsed Indy as the new template for archeological adventure. The games star treasure hunter Nathan Drake, a guy that can’t seem to stay away from trouble. The way the action packed story is seamlessly married with excellent gameplay makes it feel as if you’re playing a summer blockbuster movie. Praised as one of the best games of 2009, Uncharted 2 is perfectly paced, looks gorgeous, and it’s a blast to play. There are action games, and there’s Uncharted 2—a must play if you own a PS3.

Complexity: The controls are fairly intuitive. You jump, you shoot, you take cover when others are shooting at you. I’d recommend the easiest difficulty setting for those new to shooting dudes in video games. Familiarity with the first game is not necessary.

Also see: Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (available 11/1/11)

Portal 2

Portal 2 is a puzzle game unlike any anything else, unless you played the first Portal, which isn’t required but still highly recommended (also, the first one is only three-ish hours long). You play as Chell, a test subject trapped in an Aperture Science testing facility. To escape, you’ll need to use a portal gun to solve tricky mind bending puzzles, all while being berated by a malevolent testing robot. I think it is one of the funniest games of all time, featuring excellent vocal performances from Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons and Ellen McLain. (side note: Portal 2 is not really a PS3 exclusive, but the PS3 version is the one to buy. If you purchase it new, it comes with a free copy of the game for PC. The game runs well on most computers, and the saves are in the cloud, so you can stop on your PS3, and pick up on your laptop!)

Complexity: Portal is a first person game, which can be disorienting to newcomers, but the game does a good job of easing you into it. The puzzles are expertly constructed. They’re just difficult enough to cause you to scratch your head, but never so much that you want to give up. Few games leave you feeling like a genius just for beating them.

Also see: Portal (available in The Orange Box for PS3)

Heavy Rain

I didn’t particularly like everything about Heavy Rain (partly because my copy was a dud that included a game breaking bug), but it’s definitely a unique experience worth checking out if you own a PS3. This isn’t a game in the traditional sense; it’s more like a playable crime drama. You control multiple people--a troubled father, a private investigator, an FBI agent and more--all out to catch the Origami Killer. Their stories intertwine and collide based on the decisions you make. Everyone will have a slightly different Heavy Rain experience. Dark and brooding, Heavy Rain has fantastic atmosphere and a one-of-a-kind presentation.

Complexity: It might look intimidating, but this game is super easy to control. Simple button presses and large prompts make it easy to guide the characters through the story.

Also see: LA Noire

LittleBigPlanet 2

Everyone, regardless of video game familiarity, has likely seen Mario in action at some point in their lives. LittleBigPlanet 2 is a modern platformer with classic roots in the Mario-era of games. You’ll move from left to right jumping over enemies and solving light puzzles. LittleBigPlanet 2 has a wonderful arts and crafts aesthetic and some of the most creative level design I’ve ever seen. With a charming story and endearing design, LittleBigPlanet 2 is as fun to look at as it is to play.

Complexity: This one is pretty simple, although I’ve seen the floaty controls frustrate a few non-gamers. My advice is to make sure you always mash the jump button hard. If you want to dig deeper there’s an endless number of levels online, made using the games super deep (and super complex) level creator.

Also see: LittleBigPlanet (not required playing, but still fun)

MotorStorm Apocalypse

The big boy in exclusive PS3 racing is Gran Turismo 5, but I think MotorStorm is more approachable. The loose arcade controls will have you slipping and tumbling through tracks that deform and change each lap. It’s a visually stunning game that offers a good sense of speed and a nice variety of vehicles. If the world ended, and people decided to compete in dangerous multi-vehicle races, it would probably be a lot like Motorstorm Apocalypse.

Complexity: The racing genre is split into two categories: arcade and simulation. This is an arcade game, meaning the handling is unrealistic and often floaty. Simulation games, like Gran Turismo 5, aim to recreate the feel of actually driving real world cars. If you’ve never played a racing video game before, MotorStorm is a great intro to the genre.

Also see: Gran Turismo 5

There you go. If you only ever play five games on your Playstation 3, you’ll have a great time with these ones. Next time I’ll tackle the five games to play on your Xbox 360, followed by another entry detailing five games available for both systems. Now go, play some games!

#2 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

@yeah_write said:

I was eating lunch with some friends at work and we started talking about video games...

Aghhh! I'm having flashbacks! (looks for a mention of a fat kid eating... whew)

Here it is: The top five games to play on your Playstation 3 (Note: These are PS3 exclusive games. As in, only available on this system. I’ll make a different list for excellent multiplatform games).

Why is Portal 2 up there? -edit- Saw the sidenote afterwards... but still.

I would trade either Motorstorm or Heavy Rain with Valkyria Chronicles... maybe. Iunno, the PS3 has a lot of great exclusives. Heavy Rain was neat, but I did not really have that much fun with it. I also didn't really have any desire to go through it again. I'm sure its different for other people.

Might I also suggest making this available on your blog. Better yet, use the list feature in your profile! Nice lil writeups for each of the games, though.

#3 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

Bravo. I was ready to come in here and say 'where's Heavy Rain and Portal 2?!', but you nailed it. Although Motorstorm shouldn't be there.

#4 Posted by MajorMitch (518 posts) -

@ESREVER: Valkyria Chronicles is definitely among my top 5 PS3 exclusives, but it might be smart to omit that as a recommendation for people who are mostly familiar with sports games... Valkyria is a bit of a niche thing, but awesome nonetheless!

Anyway, I also agree with the Portal 2 thing... might should save that for the multiplatform list...

#5 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

MGS4?

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3910 posts) -

I find the lack of MGS4 and GoW 3 disturbing.

#7 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

I probably should have done a better job of clarifying the point of this post. The friend that asked for the top five games is not a gamer. So I tried to pick the best games for people that don't play games. There are actual people out there that own a PS3, but don't use it for anything other than a random sports title and movie watching (gasp!).

I left off God Of War 3 and Gran Turismo 5 (and MGS4, and others) because they're both a little more complex than I thought a non-gamer would want. They're excellent games of course, but if this were a course on gaming, they'd be on the 200 level.

#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@yeah_write: You thought the greek-themed brawler was too complicated for your friend so you recommended the physics based puzzle game?
#9 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

@yeah_write said:

There are actual people out there that own a PS3, but don't use it for anything other than a random sports title and movie watching (gasp!).

#10 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

The only games I have are SSF4, 3SO, MGS1, MGS4, Uncharted 1 & 2 and Dark Souls 

I'd say my top 5 are 3SO, SSF4, MGS1, MGS4 and Dark Souls. I'm not a big Uncharted fan at all.

#11 Edited by MEATBALL (3241 posts) -

My Top 5 would probably be (in no order) inFamous 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet 2. I don't think God of War 3 is much more complex than Uncharted 2, really, I'd say it's worth recommending to your friend.

#12 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: Maybe not "complicated' but certainly less approachable. Pretend you've never played anything but a sports game, or maybe nothing at all, and then think about picking up God of War 3. All I can think about is my wife, when she came in when I was playing it and asked, "Ugh, why is he so angry?" Portal 2 is a bit more accessible, especially with its slow start that eases you into the puzzles.

This is not my personal top five of course. I'd remove Heavy Rain and MotorStorm and replace them with Infamous 2 and Ratchet & Clank (the one before the four player one...I can never remember those dang subtitles).

#13 Posted by zichster (27 posts) -

I'm drawing a blank, what is 3S0?

#14 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

my top 5 for all 6 current units-ps3 psp ds 3ds wii 360

ps3

1 saints row 2

2- gta iv

3 quantum of solace 007

4 gt5

5 resistance 2

xbox 360

1 saints row 2

2 goldeneye reloaded

3 qunatum of solace 007

4 dead rising

5 test drive unlimited 2

nintendo wii

1 goldeneye

2 dkc4

3 nsmb

4 quantum of solace

5 mario kart wii

nintendo ds

1-mario kart ds

2 goldeneye

3- cod mobilized

4 ridge racer

5 nsmb ds

nintendo 3ds-

1 super mario 3d land

2 starfox 64 3d

3 zelda oot

4 resident evil mercenaries

5 driver renegade

psp

1 driver 76

2 gta vcs

3 gta lcs

4 twisted metal head on

5 ridge racer

might as well throw in my favorite system of all time

super nintendo

1-top gear 3000

2 super mario kart

3 zombies ate my neighbors

4 dkc3

5 top gear

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.