Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

There is no "upside down fan test" people

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeadWeezel

For those confused, the older generation PS3 that does not respond to the Eject/power switch combo only gets loud when you turn it over because you are preventing the cooling system from working properly.  This is a bad thing.  The newer models do appear to have some sort of fan related function when you turn on the power switch while holding down the eject button.  That is different.

And just to stop people saying "all the fans" be sure there is only one.  One very large one.

Stop killing your console!
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Coud you explain this in a bit more detail buddy? i own the launch 60 gig model, (from launch date itself) - sorry to sound like a jackass but i ve never heard about the fan testm or the power/eject trick. At the moment ive got its sat horizontally (as standard) With nothing surrounding it at all, that aint killing it is it?

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeadWeezel
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Coud you explain this in a bit more detail buddy? i own the launch 60 gig model, (from launch date itself) - sorry to sound like a jackass but i ve never heard about the fan testm or the power/eject trick. At the moment ive got its sat horizontally (as standard) With nothing surrounding it at all, that aint killing it is it?"
    It was something floating around the internet that was either put up out of malice to make people try it, or just by a genuine idiot but the problem was people started believing this rumour.  But you asked me to explain, so I shall:
    The newer model of PS3, no PS2 compat etc has a  function (bug?) which is not in any comsumer documentation and as such it's intended use is not exactly known but people have assumed it is some sort of fan cleaning cycle as it will blast the system fan at full whack for a few seconds before shutting off again.  To do this I believe you turn off the main power switch at the back, touch and hold eject while turning back on the main power.  The PS3 then cranks the fan all mental.
    The model of PS3 you and I have does not react to this combination, it's simply different/older hardware.

Any PC tech will tell you that a machine with such a heavy airflow throguh it for cooling will accumulate a lot of fluff and dust in the average house, but a PC can be opened and cleaned where a console can  not.  Perhaps Sony realised this was a problem post launch and added in a small functon to help blast the dust out?

Anyway.  The rumour was that the older PS3's could do this trick too, and all you had to to was stand it "upside down" and turn it on, where upon the console would spin the fan as fast as it could and eventually shut off.  This is, in not so technical terms preventing the cooling system from working and causing the console to crank the fan in an attempt to remove the vast buildup of internal heat, and eventually shutting down with an overheating warning (flashing red light).  As I said this was either a rumour put about online for fun by a fairly malicious person, or a total moron.

I only bought it up thought because in the last bombcast Jeff actually made mention of this in passing.  I do not expect the Bomb lads to really put much thought into the hardware side of consoles and they themselves openly admit to not really caring about the technical specifications of the hardware, they just care about the games.  Which is perfectly fine, but I just know a few people heard him say that and then went to try it out because if we are honest, we tend to trust people in the podcasts we listen to!

So it's just a warning for those confused.  Do not block the PS3 vents!  It is not good!
    This applies of course to the 360, the Wii (even that can get warm!) and any other machine that needs an airflow to cool down!
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

Ah cheers for clearing that up buddy :) i feel slightly smarter now :D

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010

Didn't they say something about this in the bombcast?

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeadWeezel
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "Didn't they say something about this in the bombcast?"
    As I said, this is why I made the post.  What Jeff said was bad, bad information.  And although he clearly was only mentioning something he sort of heard somewhere online, you can bet some people would have assumed he knew it to be truth for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.