There's a New PlayStation 3 Firmware That Doesn't Change Much

• 70 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -
Who doesn't love updates? Bueller? Bueller?

For better or worse, Sony has moved back to its regularly scheduled PlayStation 3 firmware updates, many of which have a history of including minor changes relative to their frequency.

The latest update, dubbed version 3.66, features only minor updates to the hardware.

Sony says 3.66 includes improved "system stability during use of PS3 format software and network services has been improved."

The update only took a few minutes for me to apply, before I was right back into inFamous 2, awaiting the arrival of The Beast.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -
Who doesn't love updates? Bueller? Bueller?

For better or worse, Sony has moved back to its regularly scheduled PlayStation 3 firmware updates, many of which have a history of including minor changes relative to their frequency.

The latest update, dubbed version 3.66, features only minor updates to the hardware.

Sony says 3.66 includes improved "system stability during use of PS3 format software and network services has been improved."

The update only took a few minutes for me to apply, before I was right back into inFamous 2, awaiting the arrival of The Beast.

#2 Edited by Jonathan (660 posts) -

Shame. I'm still hoping for a redesign of the awful store.

#3 Posted by bybeach (5000 posts) -

heh, was just doing the same thing, but I didn't make it over to settings.

#4 Posted by zameer (606 posts) -

Slow news day?

#5 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Network services, eh? Anyone notice any changes to Netlfix streaming? It's been a bit dodgy for me the past week or so (and it's not my internet).

#6 Posted by EveretteScott (1532 posts) -
@zameer said:
Slow news day?
hurr eveytime there's news I don't care about I'm going to make a comment about it in a sarcastic way.
#7 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Slow news day then.

#8 Posted by guyver0 (165 posts) -

The PS3 format thing is definitely to do with the LA Noire complain. I was playing it after the update and the fan was not as loud as usual. still on though.

#9 Posted by dougbrit2 (56 posts) -

@Jonathan said:

A store makeover would be done via coding of the website it accesses, nothing to do with firmware.

I think as we move forward in the gaming world, just like with PCs, security will become a regular update cycle.

I get a bit annoyed seeing people tout nintendo and microsoft not releasing these patches so often when they could have just as easily been hacked (well nintendo was), but hopefully every company is taking lessons in their IT department and saying to their staff, "prove to me this can't happen to our infrastructure".

#10 Posted by Digi7alS3lf (84 posts) -

If it doesn't take much, i don't see a problem. It's different when you wanna play, and you have that "1250 minutes remaining"...

Gotta hate that

#11 Posted by dougbrit2 (56 posts) -

@skrutop said:

Network services, eh? Anyone notice any changes to Netlfix streaming? It's been a bit dodgy for me the past week or so (and it's not my internet).

I have to delete the saved file it creates about once a week and it works again... a pain to say the least.

#12 Posted by Tebbit (4486 posts) -

Hey guys, are you trying to say that it's a....

Slow news day?

I hate those "stability during use of PS3 format software" updates. They describe them so vaguely, they might as well not describe anything at all, and just go

"YO, it's a fuckin' patch. Download that shit".

#13 Posted by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -
@EveretteScott said:
@zameer said:
Slow news day?
hurr eveytime there's news I don't care about I'm going to make a comment about it in a sarcastic way.
it's a news post about a firmware update that doesn't add anything interesting. i'd say mr. zameer wasn't at a wrong to say that? 
#14 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@EveretteScott said:
@zameer said:
Slow news day?
it's a news post about a firmware update that doesn't add anything interesting. i'd say mr. zameer wasn't at a wrong to say that?

Yeah, I'd have to agree with zameer. This does not really warrant its own article.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

Well OK then..?

#16 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@Jonathan said:
I wasn't aware the store had an awful design. I can navigate it just fine.
#17 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This could be said for most updates to the system, I rarely bother updating mine, my PS3 downloads way slower than my 360 over wireless for some reason. It shouldn't and all ports are forwarded correctly. I'm guessing it's a PSN thing.

#18 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
Well ok than.
#19 Posted by kamiboy (26 posts) -

You know what I want from for next generation SONY hardware? I want for this shit to be as painless as possible. It should be automatic and take seconds, either that or I am taking the machine off of the grid. I don't play online anyway.

#20 Posted by Nakirendral (62 posts) -

Yeah, seems to be a slow news day. Maybe the post-E3 slump is a perfect time for another Endurance Run :D Uh-oh, now that I mentioned it seems like it is further away! :(

#21 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -
@CandiBunni said:
@Jonathan said:
It does. It's pretty bad when compared to other digital outlets.
#22 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

As a Playstation Plus subscriber with 2 PS3s, it would be pretty awesome if I could turn on automatic updates on both of them so it will connect and download this stuff while I'm at work. Alas, I can only enable the feature on a single PS3 at a time, so I have to sit through the slow, excruciating work of updating the 2nd PS3 manually.

My $50 well spent.

#23 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Krakn3Dfx Why do you have twoPS3's?
#24 Edited by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@Hizang said:

For DJ'ing purposes.

#25 Posted by TearsInRain (269 posts) -

I've been satisfied ever since Dragon Age II got its much needed patches.

#26 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Bought one at launch, and at some point I wanted one for the bedroom. So now I have two.

#27 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
@Hizang I have two PS3's as well. My 40gb was getting loud so I bought a 120gb slim. Now I have one PS3 in my room for regular games and one downstairs connected to the 50" TV for Move games and movies.
#28 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@CandiBunni said:
@Jonathan said:

I think all 3 consoles have horrendous Store UIs, neither is any better than the other, trying to find anything I want that isn't a Week One release on XBL, PSN, or WiiStore is like OJ trying to find the real killer.

#29 Posted by PLWolf (944 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@CandiBunni said:
@Jonathan said:

Not even, it works really well. It was awful at launch, but not now it's great. I have no issues finding what I need.

#30 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

Does Patrick get paid per word in titles, or what? What's wrong with PS3 Firmware Update; Nothing New Here or something? They're always more along the lines of On This, The Twenty Third Day of June 2011, Sony Corporation has Released a Firmware Software Update For The Play Station 3 That You can Download Over Your Internet Connection, But Once You Have Installed It, You Will Find That There Is Little That Has Changed That Would Be Worth Taking The Time To Note, Even If You Are The Particularly Obsessively Observant Type Who Notices Absolutely Everything.

#31 Posted by rmanthorp (4057 posts) -

It only does Firmware updates.

#32 Posted by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

Good then

#33 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

I've given up my dreams of having a PS3 that does cross game party chat like XBL a long time ago. Man PSN sucks.

#34 Posted by Nasar7 (2808 posts) -

Is this update optional or mandatory? Please let us know next time, Patrick.

#35 Posted by TEAMHOLT (438 posts) -

@Ygg: PSN can be ridiculously slow. You get what you pay for, I guess.

#36 Posted by TEAMHOLT (438 posts) -

@Jonathan: Do you think it's poorly organized or do you just find it slow? Waiting for icons to load is my issue with it, but I like the organization.

#37 Edited by Beforet (2934 posts) -

Patrick, if the news is slow, go out and make your own news! Grab the world by the laps and yell "you will be interesting today!"

#38 Posted by ConstantRa1n (293 posts) -

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#39 Edited by Hangnail (193 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Patrick, if the news is slow, go out and make your own news! Grab the world by the laps and yell "you will be interesting today!"

I tried that once, unfortunately the world wasn't very kind to the whole "grabbing" thing.
#40 Posted by TheKing (844 posts) -

Don't need to upgrade firmware to play Blu-rays...

#41 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

guess we'll still wait for cross game chat for a few more months eh?

#42 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -

My fucking PS3 just broke while trying to download a free game from the "welcome back" program. Now the XMB won't load. Anyone know how to fix this?

#43 Posted by NoelVeiga (1128 posts) -
@Marz said:
Vita has that, apparently. 

But seriously, are we still going on about that? Not only have I never used it once on my 360, but I don't actually see the point. As long as I can tell what everybody is playing and send cross-game invites, what's the point of chatting to people who are playing something else? I already have a phone for that. 

Not saying it's not a neat little feature, it's just that it's never seemed worth specifically requesting it, let alone bringing it up for five years every time they roll out a monthly firmware update, which is what the Internet at large has been doing.
#44 Posted by NoelVeiga (1128 posts) -
@Krakn3Dfx said:

@SlasherMan said:

@CandiBunni said:
@Jonathan said:

I think all 3 consoles have horrendous Store UIs, neither is any better than the other, trying to find anything I want that isn't a Week One release on XBL, PSN, or WiiStore is like OJ trying to find the real killer.

PC outlets are pretty manageable these days, but having a mouse and a web based interface is cheating. 

That said, adding Bing searches to the store in the 360 sounds like it could be a nice workaround. That one is just waiting for Sony to get an agreement with Google or Yahoo and just rip it off.
#45 Posted by ManMadeGod (1585 posts) -
@NoelVeiga said:
@Marz said:
Vita has that, apparently.  But seriously, are we still going on about that? Not only have I never used it once on my 360, but I don't actually see the point. As long as I can tell what everybody is playing and send cross-game invites, what's the point of chatting to people who are playing something else? I already have a phone for that.  Not saying it's not a neat little feature, it's just that it's never seemed worth specifically requesting it, let alone bringing it up for five years every time they roll out a monthly firmware update, which is what the Internet at large has been doing.
It's one of biggest social aspects of XBL. There is no way you can sit there and be serious right now. "I have a phone for cross game chat". Yup, good one. The reason why I play the majority of my games on the 360 over my ps3 is because I can get into a party chat with 4 or 5 people who are all playing or doing their own thing and chat. The point is that I can play magic 2012 while you play Gears online and someone else plays a game demo and still socializes. My friends and I do not all have to same taste in games and would like to be able to hang out online instead of sit in silence and play alone. It's an amazing feature and the ps3 will always play second fiddle to the 360 until it gets this feature.
#46 Posted by Rapid (1404 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:
@CandiBunni said:
@Jonathan said:
What's worse is the Internet Browser....
#47 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

It's so worthless that it's not even on Wikipedia yet.

#48 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

New firmware, so here is a picture of Cole's derp face.

#49 Posted by NoelVeiga (1128 posts) -
@ManMadeGod said:
@NoelVeiga said:
@Marz said:
Vita has that, apparently.  But seriously, are we still going on about that? Not only have I never used it once on my 360, but I don't actually see the point. As long as I can tell what everybody is playing and send cross-game invites, what's the point of chatting to people who are playing something else? I already have a phone for that.  Not saying it's not a neat little feature, it's just that it's never seemed worth specifically requesting it, let alone bringing it up for five years every time they roll out a monthly firmware update, which is what the Internet at large has been doing.
It's one of biggest social aspects of XBL. There is no way you can sit there and be serious right now. "I have a phone for cross game chat". Yup, good one. The reason why I play the majority of my games on the 360 over my ps3 is because I can get into a party chat with 4 or 5 people who are all playing or doing their own thing and chat. The point is that I can play magic 2012 while you play Gears online and someone else plays a game demo and still socializes. My friends and I do not all have to same taste in games and would like to be able to hang out online instead of sit in silence and play alone. It's an amazing feature and the ps3 will always play second fiddle to the 360 until it gets this feature.
I... just don't see it. 

Maybe because I'm older? I don't text, either. Or tweet. I call my friends when I want to tell them something. Or call them over and have beers. I set careful appointments to watch sports games. 

When I play games, even online, I play the game. The game is the point. I can play it with friends or with strangers, but I'm sure as hell not talking to people while I'm playing unless I'm playing with them. I don't even see in what setting you would want to do both at the same time. Isn't it distracting to be playing Halo while somebody playing Trenched shouts at you? 

For the record, your last statement is also utter bullshit. 

Let's get the fanboyism out of the way now and get real for a second. You play online mainly on the Xbox for the same reason I do on the PS3. 

Because that's where your friendlist is. 

I'm European, so here the PS3 outsells the 360, so a bunch of my friends have one. So when I buy a game, I buy it in the same console they do. The PS3. Your friends are on Xbox, so you buy games on Xbox. It's not just the real reason you and I do it, it's the actual reason why there is a centralized, isolated network for each console and you'll never have cross platform play between those two.  

The feature list is only relevant insofar it brings people with no active friends towards the platform, which then makes other friends of those people come over as well. That's the game being played here and also why Nintendo doesn't give a crap about it. There's nothing to win for them anymore because all those consoles are are locking players to their friendlists. They're better off trying to open up a new market or presenting themselves like a complementary item rather than a substitute for those core users anchored to fifty or sixty people when they play Call of Duty.
#50 Edited by Marz (5672 posts) -
@NoelVeiga: Just sounds like all your friends on your list are people you know IRL.  Most people who make buddies online don't exchange phone numbers.   They just chill in party chats or over ventrilo/skype to socialize, and in the case of consoles xbox party chat and the future prospect of cross game chat on the PS3 provide that same functionality.. 

I guess it's more relevant for online groups, clans, guilds.  Where you can chill with 4-5 people you know from an online community and chat with them while not necessarily playing the same game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.