Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on PS Plus.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ever since this service was announced at last years E3, I was cautiously skeptical and kinda avoided it with a 10 foot long pole. I thought it was kinda dumb that SONY would dictate what i get month to month, meaning they could essentialy give me crap month after month and they could totaly get away with it. And so far, thats whats kinda happened. Most of the free games theyve been giving out are there B Grade downloadable titles that nobody bought so SONY is pushing it on PS Plus subscribers. The discounts discoutned stuff I didnt care about, the free avatars where lame, the themes werent that great, and the automatic download feature is flawed in teh sense I cant choose what I want to download: Just firmwares of jsut Demos. Nope, it downloads Firmwares and demos of games I probaly already owned, palyed, or have the demo already downloaded. However, one thing is kinda making tap the trigger and potential dropping the 50 a year for it: Qore.  

I actualy like Qore. ive been a subscriber since its launch and I thought it was cool with all its HD videos and demo footage of games.  However, as of this tuesday my subscription is up. I was unable to download the latest episode featuring new Vegas and all that, and I was actualy very curious about this episode and wanted to download it. But I realized that my sub. was up. This suddenly made PS Plus look a bit more enticing.  

With PS Plus, they give you the Qore episodes for free. Meaning, sine Qore costs 24.99 a year, im essentialy knocking half the cost of plus out because I would probaly resubscribe to Qore anyway. Also, If I was going to get this, I would want to get it before that free three month bonus offer is up.  

But, the rest of it is based on hope. Hope that SONY will make it great later on and hope that im not going to get screwed on this because they would hardly give me anything I really want. I dont want to download stuff just for the sake that they are free or for the sake of just downloading it. I want to have a interest in it before I DL it, even if its free.  But then theres the argument that maybe you discover stuff you normaly wouldnt try because it was behind a Pay game to game barrier.  I mainly just hate buying this thing only to hope it gets worth it later on. thats messed up.   

What do you guys think.
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

You get your money's worth. It's that whole "principle" thing that is the kicker.
     I found it REALLY bothersome that they went from weekly PSPlus updates to biweekly in such a short amount of time.

But yeah, if you like Qore, buying PSPlus is a no brainer.

Edit: If I recall correctly, Qore started off godawful too, but eventually became worth it.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By tebbit

Let me tell you right now: The European PS Plus service is next to useless

Well, that's what it looks like anyway. From the outside, looking in.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MisterMouse

Let us know what you think of it once you really get into it. Because I am interested in it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword

well shit, now I dont know. Giantbomb just announced that subscription thing, and that things $50 a year to. Wow, that actualy pissed me off. its kinda fucked to be honest. I want to suppor these guys, but when theyre cutting back on the Podcast I like, thats kinda fucked.
    LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

I have Plus and I don't think it's really worth it. Sure it's cool for small discounts, the occasional "free" game (which are good, but ultimately just distractions) and early demo access. 

I say if you really want Qore, just subscribe to that and save yourself some scratch. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

PS+ sometimes surprised me with what they have on offer, so I'll more than likely stick it out for some time.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

from the look of psn plus it doesn't look all that great. i don't really like the things that they are overing. i don't buy subscriptions to things as i don't think they are worth it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

If they offered me a schedule of there upcomign stuff for the entire year, so I can see what ill get, I may be more inclined to do it if I liked what I saw. From tehre I could calculate if I would get my moneys worth. But since they are not doing this, if I did get it, it would just be faith based that I would be my moneys worth.
    gallilee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By gallilee
    @Tebbit said:

" Let me tell you right now: The European PS Plus service is next to useless.  Well, that's what it looks like anyway. From the outside, looking in. "

Amen. I feel pretty retarded for subscribing now. we don't even get Qore here in sweden so I signed up to plus and got Little Big Planet (which I already have) and that's about it. Just wait until there's something more tangible you get for the fee than empty promises.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By X19

DO NOT BUY IT IF YOU LIVE IN THE EU!!!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vorbis

PSOne classics are about the only worthwhile thing in EU, I really wish we got Qore...

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

If you plan on buying a lot of PSN stuff, I'd say it's a good deal. I also like the "early access" to demos/betas. I've never tried Qore but it sounds interesting. I was just really let down when I heard the downloaded games are not yours to keep. I know it's not a feasible way of business, but I am really big on actually owning stuff.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

Hmm, I'm not sure what you should do. Personally I find the service useless and I don't like the idea of being able to play 4 random games for a certain amount of time, then having them taken away. 

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By THRICE

The discounts and the free games are a bit a crap shoot. There was awesome stuff early on but now things are not that great. The jump to bi-weekly updates were lame too. As it stands it needs more content and some kinda of schedule, I'd find it easier to bite the bullet if I knew what I was getting down the road. The Red Faction Beta almost sold me on a 3 month plan until I noticed it was select subscribers not everyone which is just dumb.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Branthog

For the price of their shitty subscription service, I could just spend the same cash and BUY most of the worthwhile content (the games) and keep them. Especially if you cut out all the crap that you aren't going to be interested in, anyway. 

It was a sleazy move on their part. Shame on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
    deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you mainly game on ps3 why not? 
    I went for the three month sub and was pretty satisfied 
    age of zombies, fieldrunners and aero racers were all pretty fun minis  
    syphon filter has been my favorite ps1 release so far   
    the game trials are really cool gives you just enough time to decide if you like the game or not  
    they have some ok discounts free avatars and themes  but all in all i've enjoyed it  

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ravensword
    @ROBdaMOB:  
    Thats just it, I dont mainly game on PS3,. I split (or try to plit) my time even between PS3 and 360.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword
    @eightbit:

I would maybe consider it if they actualy went in and made the online better. Faster downlaods, better matchmaking, stuff like that you know?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword
    @eightbit:

Yeah, I mean, I had to restrain myself from buying Reach because I only have like 90 dollars right now. thats it.  
    I think alot of it has to do with I like buying the new, shiny service or thing that goes with something I like, that thing being PS3 and 360. I just got done renewing my Live membership for 30 dollars with that deal they got going now, because I figured that would be a smart thing because they are going to be uping it to twice that come Nov. Now im covered until June of 2012.  

(BTW, if anyone here does own a 360 in addition to their PS3 and has Live, I would definetly jump on that if I were you. If only to pay half the price of the new price taking effect in november. Shop smart. Shop S Mart. YOU GOT THAT!?)  
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By strainedeyes

I got Plus around when it started. I mainly pulled the trigger because the only PSN games I had bought were Shatter and Fat Princess, so I knew I would be able to take full advantage of the monthly free game, which is awesome.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've been keeping my eye on it but they have yet to put up anything that interests me.

I'm doubly uninterested due to the fact that you lose the free stuff when you cancel, meaning if it's offerings get really boring I can choose between continue to pay and not use it, or cancel and lose everything I had gained.

I dunno, I'm not gonna say it's good or bad but something about the service that I can't put my finger on has me totally "m'eh".

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Its worth it, you get a ton of free stuff that eventually pays for itself. 
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By killer_meatballs

Not getting it.  Doesn't seem worth it to me.  I've seen some episodes(?) of Qore, (when PSM would give free codes for it)  and to me, that is definitely not a reason to get it.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'm not going to get it, just because I don't buy that many games from PSN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.