Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Thinking of finally getting a PS3.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the $199 Black Friday sale coming up I can't go any longer without owning my own. However, I have a bit of an irrational concern. I am wanting to get all the games I missed over the years (infamous 1&2, ICO/shadow, heavy rain, MGS legacy, uncharted 1-3 etc.) but I'm worried once I buy it these games are going to become increasingly difficult to find cheap. Like I said its a pretty irrational concern. Then when I finally do have it, It's probably best (cheaper) to purchase PS3 games used since they're dual layer discs right?

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cheaper to buy used games in some cases. When I used to shop a Gamestop, some used games were a little higher than the same games in new condition. Just be sure to compare prices and you'll be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Even if local retailers appear to have limited used games for PS3 you can always rely on eBay. I've bought most of my pre-owned titles for great prices from eBay sellers over the years.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Seppli

@mrhadouken said:

With the $199 Black Friday sale coming up I can't go any longer without owning my own. However, I have a bit of an irrational concern. I am wanting to get all the games I missed over the years (infamous 1&2, ICO/shadow, heavy rain, MGS legacy, uncharted 1-3 etc.) but I'm worried once I buy it these games are going to become increasingly difficult to find cheap. Like I said its a pretty irrational concern. Then when I finally do have it, It's probably best (cheaper) to purchase PS3 games used since they're dual layer discs right?

Older Sony stuff is pretty cheap on the PSN store, and often on sale too. Like I got Infamous 2 for less than a tenner. The Vampire expansion was on there a couple of times for less than a fiver. I think the standard price for the older Sony games you mentioned is less than twenty bucks in most cases.

Prices for PS3 games will only come down, now that the PS4 is out.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

PS3 is sweet, and go for a PS Plus, metal gear rising is free right now. Some of those Sales on PS Plus are pretty awesome, like I picked up both RE4hd and RE5gold for like 16 bucks. Worth it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

With these $199 prices for the PS3 and multiple games, I wonder if you could get a used PS3 just by itself for sub-$150 now. I don't really have interest in the games in the bundle; so, it'd be nice if they just sold a super cheap deal for the PS3. ha.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

With these $199 prices for the PS3 and multiple games, I wonder if you could get a used PS3 just by itself for sub-$150 now. I don't really have interest in the games in the bundle; so, it'd be nice if they just sold a super cheap deal for the PS3. ha.

You definitely can. I'm already seeing more PS3's on Craigslist than usual, but as usual people are drastically overestimating what their console and games are worth. A lot of people do the "retail math" when pricing their used stuff...what I mean by that is they sit there and look at their PS3 and ten games and think to themselves, "I paid $900 plus tax for all this, so selling it for $500 is a steal!"

I just saw a listing for a 250gb PS3 slim with 10 games for $150, and if I was going to email the guy I'd offer him $120 to see if he'd take it. Even $150 is a hell of a deal. As more and more people get new consoles, the secondary market is going to be flooded with 360's and PS3's and prices are going to start dropping fast. I donated my PS3 to a charity last year, so I'm in the market as well and watching Craigslist for the right deal. I bet I can find a PS3 and a couple of games for $100 within the next two weeks.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mb said:

@truthtellah said:

You definitely can. I'm already seeing more PS3's on Craigslist than usual, but as usual people are drastically overestimating what their console and games are worth. A lot of people do the "retail math" when pricing their used stuff...what I mean by that is they sit there and look at their PS3 and ten games and think to themselves, "I paid $900 plus tax for all this, so selling it for $500 is a steal!"

I just saw a listing for a 250gb PS3 slim with 10 games for $150, and if I was going to email the guy I'd offer him $120 to see if he'd take it. Even $150 is a hell of a deal. As more and more people get new consoles, the secondary market is going to be flooded with 360's and PS3's and prices are going to start dropping fast. I donated my PS3 to a charity last year, so I'm in the market as well and watching Craigslist for the right deal. I bet I can find a PS3 and a couple of games for $100 within the next two weeks.

I don't know why, but your comment filled my heart with warmth. ha. I've played some PS3 games over the years, but with many of the exclusives that just added up, I've wanted to get one for myself. I was hoping to just get the new PS4, but since it isn't backwards compatible, I'm guessing I'll get some decent use out of the PS3 to catch up on a few of the games I missed. If I can get it for $100-$150, that would be fantastic.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I bought a PS3 a few months ago and a ton of the games I've bought were from eBay. Got some really great deals. I payed less than £5 for the majority of the games, including postage. Most of the games I bought were the much older games, and I'll get around to the more recent ones once I've played through a bunch of these, but the prices I paid were seriously a steal. For some reason my full purchase history isn't showing up on eBay, so I can't list all of them, but here are some examples:

• Resistance: Fall of Man - £2.68, Free Postage
    • Bulletstorm - £0.99 + £2.25 Postage
    • Infamous - £4.01, Free Postage
    • LittleBigPlanet - £0.99 + £3.00 Postage
    • Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - £4.20 + £2.00 Postage
    • Final Fantasy XIII - £2.99 + £2.00 Postage
    • Heavenly Sword - £2.04 + £1.20 Postage
    • Bayonetta - £3.01 + £1.99 Postage

I wasn't solely focused on PS3 exclusives, since I haven't had a working Xbox 360 for a couple of years, so I'd missed out on recent multiplats too. But either way, I got some real bargains. I also bought some used games from local game stores. Most of those weren't quite as cheap, but they were still all under £10. I think I got LA Noire and Gran Turismo 5 for £10 each & got Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction free because the games were on a Buy 2 Get One Free promotion. Oh, I did get Killzone 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla for £3 each from a local store, which was a steal, too.

So yeah, there are bargains to be had from used games. Obviously the prices of various games will be different in the US, but hopefully this gives you a decent idea that there are bargains to be had.

Also, I just want to add that the PS3 is probably one of the best gaming purchases I have ever made. At this time in it's lifecycle it has a large library of great exclusives, and if you've never owned one it is an infinitely better value proposition than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Oh, and get PlayStation Plus. I've only been in it for three or four months, and I've already got a bunch of great free games from it.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrHadouken

@truthtellah: the bundle in this one on Black Friday comes with The last of us and Batman Arkham Origins. I just got BAO for 360 at a toys r us Buy one get one 50% off. I'll just sell the PS3 version and pick up some of those games I want with the money.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bigjeffrey

Do it, im thinking about finally getting one too. I'll probably get one on craigslist cheap as fuck.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By confusedowl

Yeah I don't think you have much to worry about. I also recently purchased a ps3 after canceling my ps4 pre order and older games have not been that expensive. Plus now is the perfect time to get them because there is a crap ton of bundles now. Infamous bundle, uncharted bundle, God of War bundle etc. That's a lot of games for pretty cheap.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I really want that Last of Us bundle but I'm afraid that deal will be sold out before I get a chance to get one. Otherwise I'd have to settle for the slim model. I mean $99 is great but then I'd have to get a hard drive which I'd rather not do.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

@theblue: Best Buy & Gamestop are doing the same deal so you should be able to get one if they sell out on Amazon. If you're working that day and have a smart phone, just download the amazon app and tell someone to keep an eye out and text you when it comes up. If not, then keep your eye on Amazon every hour or so.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Craigslist is flooded with PS3's right now, as expected! If buying from Craigslist though, I suggest waiting two or three weeks for even more systems to be listed and prices to start falling even more.

AntPatCan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One week ago, I got the PS3 as a Christmas present (10 years after receiving the PS2 on Christmas Day).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.