Time to buy some PS3 games for cheap. Best exclusives?

#1 Edited by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

With PS3 game prices plummeting, I want to give the PC a break and buy some good PS3 games.

Requirements:

1. No First Person Shooters or Anime games.
  2. I want both PS3 exclusives and console exclusives also. (Meaning X360/PS3 games without a PC version).
  3. I'm not interested in Heavy Rain, Journey, MGS 4, and the Souls games.

What I have:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • GTA V
  • inFamous
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty

What's on my list so far:

• inFamous 2
  • God of War III
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Maybes:

• Vanquish
  • Dante's Inferno
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • Nier

I'm really excited for inFamous 2, and more excited for your recommendations yo!

#2 Edited by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

You guys are so fucking helpful it's insane <3

#3 Edited by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -

Last of Us is the only thing I can think of that meets your requirements that isn't already on your list. My other recommendations are probably too "Japanese".

#4 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

@chaser324: Being a moderator, do you perhaps know how I can reach the page on this website that looks like a calendar showing the most notable games of the last 30 years and into the next few years?

It seems that it was removed with the site redesign, which is a shame, it was a great list, very neat and to the point.

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -
#6 Edited by csl316 (8770 posts) -

Well, I would've said Vanquish but it's Japanese. So nope, you gotta miss out.

God of War III and Infamous 2 work.

#7 Edited by ripelivejam (4073 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles

Disgaea 3

Ni No Kuni

Bayonetta

#8 Edited by demonbear (1859 posts) -

you should check Heavenly Sword, since its pretty much God of Waresque but with a better story.

Heavy Rain is pretty fucking fantastic, but hey, its on you.

Where is The Last of Us on that list? This should be Item Numero uno.

StarHawk, maybe? Warhawk was a good multiplayer game.

#9 Edited by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

@ripelivejam: @csl316: @chaser324: I didn't realize that disliking Japanese games was considered such a hateful crime on this forum, I'll keep that in mind for the future thanks.

I just wanted to spare twenty people from recommending valkyra and disgae over and over when I'm not interested in that type of art or gameplay.

Since Vanquish is Japanese and I think it looks good, I changed the word to Anime. I dunno what to name those funky ass Asian games alright? ;p

#10 Edited by Nodima (1226 posts) -

Drop inFamous 2 for the first one.

You might as well play Uncharted 2 and 3 back to back, that was a great week for me last summer thanks to PS+ discounts.

The Last of Us obviously.

I've never played more than the demo but Heavenly Sword seems like it still gets brought up by some people. I don't know what kind of people though.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

Vanquish
Bayonetta
Nier

These are Japanese.

The Last of Us isn't listed on there and it's pretty good. Grand Theft Auto V isn't on there either. You've got Ratchet and Clank on there - have you played the Jak and Daxter games, a series which was something of a friendly competitor to Ratchet?

I do think it's a shame that you've completely cut out Japanese games as they can be pretty fantastic. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, for instance, are Japanese. So is Okami. Those are some pretty well-loved games. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that you've played and thoroughly enjoyed some games that you didn't even know were Japanese before.

#12 Edited by Slaegar (716 posts) -

I'd offer some help, but it's tricky with your nondescript casually racist requirements.

There are not many Western approved non-fps PS3 exclusives, aside from the Naughty Dog stuff. I'm assuming you would not like games like Ratchet & Clank since they are so anime-like even though were made in Freedomland. Would you be curious about something like XCOM?

Are you looking at indie games or just retail?

#13 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

@believer258: @nodima: I'm a man who goes after good gameplay and likes to be respected by the developer and not given bush league gameplay that is repetitive or unimaginative and only used as a vehicle for a story. That is why, for example, I thought Spec Ops The Line was not good.

So I've heard that The Last of Us has frustrating gameplay against Clickers or something, that the ammo system didn't make sense, and that Ellen Page keeps getting in your way during fights. Forget the story, how's the gameplay?

@believer I guess you're right, Vanquish looks good and so does Yakuza, it's just that I don't wanna risk buying a Japanese game and finding anime in my face, lame mechanics, or nonsensical stories with tons of random names and pretentious delivery, I do not enjoy that stuff.

#14 Posted by Slag (4455 posts) -

With PS3 game prices plummeting, I want to give the PC a break and buy some good PS3 games.

Requirements:

1. No First Person Shooters or Japanese games.
  2. I want both PS3 exclusives and console exclusives also. (Meaning X360/PS3 games without a PC version).
  3. I'm not interested in Heavy Rain, Journey, MGS 4, and the Souls games.

So you basically just want the Uncharted and Infamous serieses then.

Seriously man you are really limiting yourself here by excluding all Japanese games. Those are far far less likely to get PC versions than Western games. A large number of the best purely console exclusives are probably Japanese games. That's why this is tough. It took me a good ten minutes to come up with this list to match your criteria (no FPS, no Japanese games)

anyway....

• Grand Theft Auto V is the obvious answer since it's unknown whether it will ever come to PC.
  • I guess if you like Fighters you could go Marvel vs Capcom and Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (Street Fighter is on PC I think).
  • Little Big Planet 1&2 if you like floaty platformers.
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 if you like brawlers
  • Enslaved: Journey to the West and Heavenly Sword if you like action
  • Guitar Hero/Rock Band series if you like Music games (better download the DLC songs now though)
  • MLB the Show, SSX and maybe a Madden if you like Sports.
  • Maybe Prototype 1&2, StarHawk, Wet, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and the Transformers Cybertron series.

hope that helps.

#15 Posted by csl316 (8770 posts) -

Asura's Wrath

#16 Posted by Bobbyr (79 posts) -

I would totally get Vanquish. It's short but really awesome

#17 Posted by mosespippy (4208 posts) -

@singingmenstrual: Dear god, don't get Motorstorm Apocalypse. The best Motorstorm games are in this order:

1. Motorstorm Pacific Rift DLC
  2. Motorstorm Pacific Rift
  3. Motorstorm (AKA Motorstorm Monument Valley)
  4. You should stop playing at this point because they get really bad
  5. Motorstorm RC
  6. No really, stop.
  7. Motorstorm Arctic Edge
  8. Motorstorm Apocalypse

Anything else I'd say is probably too Japanese. Maybe you should download a demo for MLB The Show to see if it's for you, since it is the best sports game available.

#18 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

Heavy Rain is utter garbage, completely predictable and unclimactic story with bad controls and no real gameplay other than running around and pressing buttons. It's quite possibly the most over hyped and overrated game of the last gen. You are wise to want to not play it.

But I can recommend Folklore. Although it's developed by Game Republic, it's not anime in it's setting. It's actually set in Ireland during a religious/cultural festival that complies to Halloween in NA(Samhain). It's a really neat game that people have kind of forgotten about. I think it was actually a PS3 launch game, if I'm not mistaken. It's a third person action game in which you can control these strange little Irish folklore beings during fights. You can swap them out at will. It's good, play it!

Other than that, Nier is a really good choice as it's one of my all time favorite games. Vanquish and Dante's Inferno are good too, and if you're including them, also include Bayonetta, however if you have any possibility of playing it on 360 do that because the PS3 version suffers majorly.

Why are people saying that you don't like Japanese games though? I can't see anywhere here where you say you don't want Japanese games, just anime.

#19 Posted by Nodima (1226 posts) -

@singingmenstrual said:

@believer258: @nodima: I'm a man who goes after good gameplay and likes to be respected by the developer and not given bush league gameplay that is repetitive or unimaginative and only used as a vehicle for a story. That is why, for example, I thought Spec Ops The Line was not good.

So I've heard that The Last of Us has frustrating gameplay against Clickers or something, that the ammo system didn't make sense, and that Ellen Page keeps getting in your way during fights. Forget the story, how's the gameplay?

I tried Spec Ops through Playstation Plus last summer and quit maybe a third of the way through the game? The Last of Us I beat in two days with a run time of 17 hours.

But Spec Ops didn't wooh me on the story end, either. I played some of those big moments people revere, I did not see them coming, and they weren't affecting at all. It was still basic video game melodrama to me. The Last of Us isn't that, and until the very final level it has a pretty amazing combat system I'd say. What they ended up delivering is 90% as intense as the first time they showed the game.

#20 Edited by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@singingmenstrual said:

@believer I guess you're right, Vanquish looks good and so does Yakuza, it's just that I don't wanna risk buying a Japanese game and finding anime in my face, lame mechanics, or nonsensical stories with tons of random names and pretentious delivery, I do not enjoy that stuff.

The Last of Us's gameplay is mostly against humans, which are mostly fun to fight. Clicker sections do suck. They make up a noticeable percentage of the game, but not an overwhelming amount. Its story is well-worth the trouble. Play it on Easy if you're afraid of disliking the clicker sections. Fake Ellen Page never, ever gets in your way. She literallycan't due to how the game is programmed. It does move at a slower, more realistic pace, though, so don't expect to be doing Vanquish-level shenanigans in this third person shooter.

Speaking of Vanquish, it's the furthest opposite of Gears of War you can get. Super fast paced, stylish, full of finesse. Its story is pretty dumb, but dumb in the best kind of way, and the game is quite aware that it's just a dumb action game. No pretentiousness here.

I don't know anything about Yakuza other than "it's weird". It's worth picking up if only because you have no clue what to expect and you might be pleasantly surprised?

On a final note, I also go after good gameplay and stories and I come across a fair bit of that in anime and Japanese games. They take some getting used to, which can be a turn off for a lot of people, but they're not "bush league", they certainly aren't "unimaginative", and they tend to have a focus on mechanics with plenty of depth. True, the genre has some pretty widespread issues, but then most Western-dominated genres have widespread issues as well. As a culture, we're just more used to them, and often better at covering them up with spectacle or something. Western games tend to be shorter, so that bush league, repetitive, and unimaginative gameplay doesn't really have time to get tiring. I'm not taking offense, but I am calling you out on writing off an entire country's output of games because you clearly don't understand them. And I'm not derailing this thread anymore - start a new thread if it bugs you that much.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Heavy Rain is utter garbage, completely predictable and unclimactic story with bad controls and no real gameplay other than running around and pressing buttons. It's quite possibly the most over hyped and overrated game of the last gen. You are wise to want to not play it.

But I can recommend Folklore. Although it's developed by Game Republic, it's not anime in it's setting. It's actually set in Ireland during a religious/cultural festival that complies to Halloween in NA(Samhain). It's a really neat game that people have kind of forgotten about. I think it was actually a PS3 launch game, if I'm not mistaken. It's a third person action game in which you can control these strange little Irish folklore beings during fights. You can swap them out at will. It's good, play it!

Other than that, Nier is a really good choice as it's one of my all time favorite games. Vanquish and Dante's Inferno are good too, and if you're including them, also include Bayonetta, however if you have any possibility of playing it on 360 do that because the PS3 version suffers majorly.

Why are people saying that you don't like Japanese games though? I can't see anywhere here where you say you don't want Japanese games, just anime.

Ah, I didn't see him change that. He originally said "Japanese" games, but he seems to have meant games with an anime aesthetic in general.

#22 Posted by Wolfgame (760 posts) -

I think one of the reasons you didn't get many replies is because you seem pretty set on what kind of games you are looking for, if you are discerning enough to make sweeping cuts to specific genres simply because of style it is reasonable to assume you have eliminated enough games to narrow down the selection to begin making choices. If you were asking to be challenged to consider a genre you were hesitant on you would probably have received a variety of responses. No real problem of course, play the games you enjoy, but it may explain a lack of motivation from some of our more active users when it felt like you were preemptively clubbing them at the knees.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.