Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

To Mr. Ryan Davis: Playstation 3 A "Me Too" System. Really?!

• 64 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By get2sammyb
    I write in response to Mr. Ryan Davis comments on the latest episode of the Bonus Round, damning Sony's Playstation 3 as a "me too" system. Really? First I'd like to clarify -- blah blah, I realise all systems copy, I realise opinions, blah, blah, yadda, yadda. REALLY??! PS3 A "ME TOO" SYSTEM.

Wow... well my opinion hugely differs to yours Mr. Ryan Davis. HUGELY. I thought Sony had always tried to push the Playstation as a media system - that was the whole idea of Blu-Ray and DVD players being packed into the systems right? The whole idea of the original Playstation being a disc based system that played your music and shit too. Right? So now the 360 has Netflix Sony is a me-too system? Really? But they had that video download service a year ago didn't they (check facts on this). Both services are irrelevent to anyone outside the USA anyway so meh.

But really? Me too? Sony don't know what they want? Weren't Sony always the ones that had a balance between the casual and hardcore on the PS2. Singstar and Eye Toy spring to mind? And all those dancing mat games that people bought on the PS2 (granted I know they were available elsewhere).

Now seriously Mr. Davis, I think the XBOX has been marketed fabulously this generation and I think it has a great selection of games. I admit most of them never appealed to me but people love them and thus they're great none the less. But Sony being a "me too" system and not having an identity. What?

Maybe I took it out of context, maybe he was simply talking about the video services but; gah, Playstation 3 - "me too" - really?

Discuss without calling me a fanboy please.

(I agree with everything else said on the Bonus Round by the way. This just stuck out)

EDIT: After watching again I noticed that Pachter actually brought up the "me too" thing. So this addresses the both of them.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By get2sammyb
    I write in response to Mr. Ryan Davis comments on the latest episode of the Bonus Round, damning Sony's Playstation 3 as a "me too" system. Really? First I'd like to clarify -- blah blah, I realise all systems copy, I realise opinions, blah, blah, yadda, yadda. REALLY??! PS3 A "ME TOO" SYSTEM.

Wow... well my opinion hugely differs to yours Mr. Ryan Davis. HUGELY. I thought Sony had always tried to push the Playstation as a media system - that was the whole idea of Blu-Ray and DVD players being packed into the systems right? The whole idea of the original Playstation being a disc based system that played your music and shit too. Right? So now the 360 has Netflix Sony is a me-too system? Really? But they had that video download service a year ago didn't they (check facts on this). Both services are irrelevent to anyone outside the USA anyway so meh.

But really? Me too? Sony don't know what they want? Weren't Sony always the ones that had a balance between the casual and hardcore on the PS2. Singstar and Eye Toy spring to mind? And all those dancing mat games that people bought on the PS2 (granted I know they were available elsewhere).

Now seriously Mr. Davis, I think the XBOX has been marketed fabulously this generation and I think it has a great selection of games. I admit most of them never appealed to me but people love them and thus they're great none the less. But Sony being a "me too" system and not having an identity. What?

Maybe I took it out of context, maybe he was simply talking about the video services but; gah, Playstation 3 - "me too" - really?

Discuss without calling me a fanboy please.

(I agree with everything else said on the Bonus Round by the way. This just stuck out)

EDIT: After watching again I noticed that Pachter actually brought up the "me too" thing. So this addresses the both of them.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah its a bit ridiculous. i just find it odd how all of the sudden press pretends like microsoft invented all of this. 

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Your over use of the honorific, Mr, is patronising and just plain dumb. Not unlike this thread.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Levio91 said:
    "I cant say I agree with davis but I dont disagree. All I know is 360'S DPAD FUCKING SUCKS FUCK YOU DPAD I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!!!!! *runs away crying* 
    Although ive played a ps3 before the dpad is very good.

oh look at my mini bio to see my amazing gamertag."
    I hate you. So much.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Xandurson

I didn't see this so I can't really comment on it. But I don't believe the PS3 is a "me too" system in all areas. However, in some ways I think it is. Case and point: Trophies. That's all I really have to say about that.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Keeng

PS3 is definitely not a "me too" system. There have been additions like Trophies and profile badges that clearly came from the 360, but that's not enough to say the system has no identity. It's called variety, Ryan. Like PS2 (and unlike the original Xbox) you can get an excellent entertainment experience in any genre of game on a PS3. Outside of games, the thing plays a multitude of music and video formats and is the only game console that plays Blu-Ray. If PS3 is a "me too" system without an identity, then PCs are as well. PS3's have multiple purposes as do computers.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    Levio91 said:
    Seriously,
    Saying one system is copying the other doesnt make you a fanboy, but complaining about someones opinion and writing a 5 paragraph complaint makes you a fanboy.

Success! I have succeeded.
    Whats his name again?
    Whats his name again?

"
    That is precisely the point. This thread is pretty much summed up.

Also, the PC gaming market is largely "me too." Listen to the pretentiousness that comes from the PCGA.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

That was a terrible, terrible rebuttle. Use better examples next time you want to start up System World War Umpteen.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teh_Eel

I always thought the 360 was the "me too" system with stuff like avaters and lips, its what microsoft does take other peoples ideas and refine them, making there product better or just as good ( or in lips case not as good).

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rowr

I agree with Ryan, though i think you may have misinterpreted him slightly. I probably would call it a me too system tho.

I think what he means by lacking identity, is in reference mainly to games.

Xbox and Wii have it locked down.

Wii is the family friendly casual system. Wii sports, fit, music etc

Xbox's identity is rooted in Halo and Gears and it's well recieved live service.

Playstation 3 is?  Blu Ray? MGS4? LBP?

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teh_Eel
    Rowr said:
    "I agree with Ryan, though i think you may have misinterpreted him slightly. I probably would call it a me too system tho.

Xbox's identity is rooted in Halo and Gears and it's well recieved live service.

"
    Its trying to do what the playstation brand has always done catering for everyone with casual games like singstar and LBP, and hardcore tittles like MGS4 and Resistance, also making there console a multi-media hub as well with Blu-rays and DVDs.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manachild
    Rowr said:
    "I agree with Ryan, though i think you may have misinterpreted him slightly. I probably would call it a me too system tho.

"
    Yeah i thought he meant trophey's and the like.....
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rowr
    Rowr said:

Playstation 3 is?  Blu Ray? MGS4? LBP?"
    Shit, i mean to write WOULDNT call it a me too system.

But i can see how trophies would be interpreted as "me too". Then again everyone is cribbing from the wii, and you have microsoft with LIPS and avatars etc.
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Manachild

at the end of the day everyone always copies off of successful models, people innovate and others follow

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By KamasamaK

Wii is the only one that's keeping to its plan no matter what anyone says. I think it's good when companies listen to what people want, even if it's deemed "copying" by some people. PS3 and Xbox 360 have plenty unique to their platforms, even if both could be accused of taking some things from elsewhere, but at least they put their own spin on them.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

I disagree with him. The PS3 knows what it's trying to be and it's striving towards that. The 360 jjust looking on others and releasing stuff to try and stay on top, hence Netflix to face PS Video store, or avatars vs Home and Mii's.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By atejas

Well now, I thought it was a reference to trophies and Home and whatnot.
    And, totally not in a bad way, I think you should calm down.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

they always have someone on bonus round who never has anything original to say, he just agrees with something one of the other guys said or rambles some bullshit , always at least one guy, but he always bashes ps3 and says something like Gears 2 is the GOTY. every episode is like that. then patcher kind of flip flops and then theres another guy with actual opinions and understanding. 

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vecta
    LiquidPrince said:
    "I disagree with him. The PS3 knows what it's trying to be and it's striving towards that. The 360 jjust looking on others and releasing stuff to try and stay on top, hence Netflix to face PS Video store, or avatars vs Home and Mii's."
    You do realise Xbox live has had a video store long before Netflix on the 360 was ever announced, right?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seeing as how you agree with everything else that was said on the panel, it just seems you misinterpreted the context.

Michael and Ryan are probably 360 users first and when thier jobs require them, they go play something on the PS3. So when Home first came out they where there, but it didn't seem like they where there or even know that PSN has a video download service (I didn't even know it myself til like last month). So this overall "Me too" is just a typical gamer now a day's opinion on the PS3. Even though Sony has been doing similar shit for a while now, if MS makes sure others know their product first, they have set the benchmark that Sony must beat. Of course, if Sony does a job that is about the same quality, then you get the me too effect. Because afterall, lets not kid ourselves, PSN at best beats the free Silver account on XBL and if the stars are aligned matches the Gold accounts, hence me too if the first service you saw was XBL.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Vecta said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "I disagree with him. The PS3 knows what it's trying to be and it's striving towards that. The 360 jjust looking on others and releasing stuff to try and stay on top, hence Netflix to face PS Video store, or avatars vs Home and Mii's."
    You do realise Xbox live has had a video store long before Netflix on the 360 was ever announced, right?"

Yes, but it had a tiny selection, and it was mostly HD TV shows rather then full movies.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I like my PS3 A LOT but what Ryan Davis and Pachter said were not wrong by any means . these two guys along with some other are experienced people in video gaming industry and have spent time with video games for decades .

Instead of bashing like a kid we should use logic

Things that are in my mind right now :

PS3 's originality :
    -Blu-ray

- Home

-PS3,s so called "Me too " part :
    - sixaxis controller   ( copied from Nintendo Wii )
    -the whole PSN thing and PSN 's profile badges  ( Copied from Xbox live)
    -Trophy (copied from 360's Achievement )
    -video game box arts ; things like " only on PlayStation " or "PSN "  (copied from 360's only on Xbox 360 and  Xbox live )
    - PlayStation store (copied from Xbox live Market place )

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

I like my PS3 A LOT but what Ryan Davis and Pachter said were not wrong by any means . these two guys along with some other are experienced people in video gaming industry and have spent time with video games for decades .

PS3 's originality :
    -Blu-ray

- Home

-video game box arts ; things like " only on PlayStation " or "PSN "  (copied from 360's only on Xbox 360 and  Xbox live )

"

PSN was actually planned way back for the PS2. They couldn't do it however, so they started releasing stuff through demo discs instead. Xbox came along and made it's store no doubt influenced by Sony's idea. Video game exclusive packaging was there since PS1 as well. As for the store, that was a part of the original intent for PS2 as well, along with home. So Sony always had these plan's yet could not actually do them becasue their system lacked the power nack then. There is even an OPM from 2000 where it states all these things. They didn't do it, but they always had it in mind. As for the rest like Trophies and stuff, yeah that's just copied from 360.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    LiquidPrince said:
    They didn't do it, but they always had it in mind. As for the rest like Trophies and stuff, yeah that's just copied from 360.

that is the problem , fortunately or unfortunately in the current world action defines everything and not plans
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    They didn't do it, but they always had it in mind. As for the rest like Trophies and stuff, yeah that's just copied from 360.

that is the problem , fortunately or unfortunately in the current world action defines everything and not plans"

That's true in a sense, but you can't really say they copied when the idea was conceived a prior to their execution. I mean, in a sense, you could say that certain thing 360 copied off Sony.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Tarsier said:
    "The reason they are calling it a "me too" system is because the 360 did all of those things first, and is still doing them better. Sony is playing catch up really."
      damn straight
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:

that is the problem , fortunately or unfortunately in the current world action defines everything and not plans"
    Exactly. Regardless of what is true or not, its this exact thing that is what it always boils down to. It's like how when Microsoft revealed the Avatars, and they said they and Rare came up with the idea before nintendo did with the Mii's, but since the Mii's came first, it just looks like it was a direct copied effort. Doesn't matter what's true, only matters what came first to the public eye.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gizmo
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Your over use of the honorific, Mr, is patronising and just plain dumb. Not unlike this thread. "
    Kinda reminds me of the Agents from the Matrix.
    "I'm dissapointined... with your eh.... decision... Mr Anderson..."
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PureRok
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb
    atejas said:
    "Well now, I thought it was a reference to trophies and Home and whatnot.
    And, totally not in a bad way, I think you should calm down."
    I'm not angry I was just, well, amazed that these two respected people in the industry (not that I like Pachter much, but I do think he knows his business) would come out with a damning statement like Sony doesn't know where their identity.

I actually think that's a ridiculous statement. Sony knows exactly where they're going and they've been heading there since 1994 with the Playstation?

Has very little to do with Microsoft but if the shoe fits.

pause422 said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:

Exactly. Regardless of what is true or not, its this exact thing that is what it always boils down to. It's like how when Microsoft revealed the Avatars, and they said they and Rare came up with the idea before nintendo did with the Mii's, but since the Mii's came first, it just looks like it was a direct copied effort. Doesn't matter what's true, only matters what came first to the public eye."
    Yeah I totally agree with all this, I think the path this thread has taken is totally different to the intended path: they made out like Sony doesn't have a direction for their system. And opinion it may be, I 100% disagree. Sony have known where they are heading since the Playstation came out and it hasn't changed. Sony have always had a couple of casual games (even before Nintendo) and then a load of hardcore games. In fact Sony have always boasted to having the biggest "variety" of games. And they've tried to appeal to parents and stuff too by chucking in DVD players and "bachelor" style media centre functionality.

Maybe the PS3's library isn't quite in order yet (although I'd argue we still have the "Playstation mix" - Resistance (adult), LittleBigPlanet (family), Motorstorm (teen), etc. etc.) but I don't see how you can argue they are being "me too" on the media centre thing. Sony was pretty much there first... at least successfully if you discredit things like the 3DO.

That was my main gripe really.

I don't disagree with trophies and whatnot. This has nothing to do with Microsoft really. It's about people clearly forgetting everything the Playstation brand has stood for all of a sudden.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, give it a rest. you don't have to white knight the PS3 for every slight that comes against it. Guess what? Most of it is fucking true.
    If all your friends tell you your girlfriend's a slut, that probably means she's fucked at least one guy behind your back.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gizmo
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Dude, give it a rest. you don't have to white knight the PS3 for every slight that comes against it. Guess what? Most of it is fucking true.
    If all your friends tell you your girlfriend's a slut, that probably means she's fucked at least one guy behind your back."
    Oh shit bun
    Oh shit bun

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Dude, give it a rest. you don't have to white knight the PS3 for every slight that comes against it. Guess what? Most of it is fucking true.
    If all your friends tell you your girlfriend's a slut, that probably means she's fucked at least one guy behind your back."
    So you think the Playstation doesn't have an identity?

I know the systems flawed in places but it just irks me that the press (no less) are consistently spewing this rubbish on the PS3 which people will believe.

The fact is until someone actually answers my question (this is a video game forum after all, where we discuss video games) and shows me another perspective instead of telling me to "give it a rest" then I'll be happy to listen and discuss (again, it's a forum, right?). Maybe I'll even change my opinion.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gizmo
    get2sammyb said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    So you think the Playstation doesn't have an identity?

I know the systems flawed in places but it just irks me that the press (no less) are consistently spewing this rubbish on the PS3 which people will believe."
    This is Ryan Davis's opinion.
    Playstation magazine says Playstation is better then Xbox.
    Xbox magazine says Xbox is better then Playstation.
    Unless this turns into some sort of format war like Blu-ray/HD-DVD(extremely unlikely), this will boil down to personal preference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually no, the PS3 doesn't have a discernible identity for the moment.
    Just look at their ass marketing which just straight up confused people. Here in Europe we had these This Is Living commercials which were dogshit.
    I thought they had a good thing going for awhile to catch the casual market. I know several girls who don't care for videogames whatsoever who bought PS2 Slims with SingStar and Buzz. Then the PS3 came out and it's a big, scary, expensive beast with no games that appeal to the casuals for a long while. So when SingStar came out most of this audience never even heard about it cause they stopped paying attention to the PS3. Home is not gonna bring these people in. Hey, the Wii is bringing people around one console to have stupid fun. US TOO!

The Blu-ray player was gonna pull in the moviegoing audience. Guess what? most of the audience really don't care that much about the jump from DVD to BD. You're just changing one disc to another. Alotta people won't see the point. (I personally think they should ahve their eyes checked, but that's the general consensus on BD for other people.) Hey dvd playback made people buy the PS2, I bet the BD is just as integral with the PS3. US TOO!
    You're kidding yourself when you don't see that the primary goal of teh PS3 was to eb a BD trojan horse. Hey it worked on me, I have more BDs than PS3 games. Now they see the apparent boom the 360 got after the NXE/Netflix deal. Hey, we thought about taht eyars ago, but didn't act on it. US TOO!

Then you have the biggest disappointmen, the hardcore. Us sad 18-35 male demographic with disposable incomes to spend on such frivilous entertainment as the latest hi-def shooting bonanza. With the string of lost exclusives, shoddy ports, the PSN screwing us over and disappointing games a lot of us are feeling pretty damned miffed about the PS3. At least us with the luxury of having better offerings next to our Blu-ray player dujour.

It's identity is all over the place. It desperatley wants something else and keeps pushing us "gamers" away. It's like some dysfunctional relationship where they've settled for us benchwarmers, but desperately want the first string quarterback. I'm not letting Microsoft off the hook though. It's been teh same way with them the last couple of months. Face it gamers, nobody wants us. The Wii is dating the prettiest girls in school and Microsoft and Sony are writing angrily in their diaries "ME TOO!"

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By get2sammyb
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Actually no, the PS3 doesn't have a discernible identity for the moment.
    Just look at their ass marketing which just straight up confused people. Here in Europe we had these This Is Living commercials which were dogshit.
    I thought they had a good thing going for awhile to catch the casual market. I know several girls who don't care for videogames whatsoever who bought PS2 Slims with SingStar and Buzz. Then the PS3 came out and it's a big, scary, expensive beast with no games that appeal to the casuals for a long while. So when SingStar came out most of this audience never even heard about it cause they stopped paying attention to the PS3. Home is not gonna bring these people in. Hey, the Wii is bringing people around one console to have stupid fun. US TOO!

The Blu-ray player was gonna pull in the moviegoing audience. Guess what? most of the audience really don't care that much about the jump from DVD to BD. You're just changing one disc to another. Alotta people won't see the point. (I personally think they should ahve their eyes checked, but that's the general consensus on BD for other people.) Hey dvd playback made people buy the PS2, I bet the BD is just as integral with the PS3. US TOO!
    You're kidding yourself when you don't see that the primary goal of teh PS3 was to eb a BD trojan horse. Hey it worked on me, I have more BDs than PS3 games. Now they see the apparent boom the 360 got after the NXE/Netflix deal. Hey, we thought about taht eyars ago, but didn't act on it. US TOO!

Then you have the biggest disappointmen, the hardcore. Us sad 18-35 male demographic with disposable incomes to spend on such frivilous entertainment as the latest hi-def shooting bonanza. With the string of lost exclusives, shoddy ports, the PSN screwing us over and disappointing games a lot of us are feeling pretty damned miffed about the PS3. At least us with the luxury of having better offerings next to our Blu-ray player dujour.

It's identity is all over the place. It desperatley wants something else and keeps pushing us "gamers" away. It's like some dysfunctional relationship where they've settled for us benchwarmers, but desperately want the first string quarterback. I'm not letting Microsoft off the hook though. It's been teh same way with them the last couple of months. Face it gamers, nobody wants us. The Wii is dating the prettiest girls in school and Microsoft and Sony are writing angrily in their diaries "ME TOO!""
    That's more like it. And I respect you for actually typing all that out and giving a decent opinion as opposed to the "stop crying fanboy" responses that have become the "norm" whenever someone makes a post like this.

Totally agree on the marketing first and foremost. Sony's marketing has been atrocious from the get-go and Microsoft's and Nintendo's splendid. Microsoft have done excellent work with their price point, bundles and portraying the conception that most multiformat games are actually exclusive. The Wii did an excellent job of showcasing the "family" style userbase.

I disagree that Sony's (by my own admission, many a time) atrocious advertising means the brand doesn't have an identity though more that they haven't conveyed it yet. If I worked for Sony's marketing department (PLEASE EMPLOY ME) I would rip off the iPhone commercials. They have always been great at showcasing the many features of the iPhone, easily, simply and running a series of them so over time you build up a knowledge of all these things the iPhone can do. This would be Sony's best way of justifying the price point and showing their identity -- you know: Singstar party with teens and parents, LittleBigPlanet dad and kids, Mum and Dad blu-ray, dude and girlfriend video store, kids Ratchet & Clank, 20-somethings Resistance 2, etc. etc. I could go on but won't.

I agree that the price point would be a barrier for entry and Sony were idiots if they thought 16-year old girls would upgrade to PS3 for the latest version of Singstar but again I don't think this is a problem with Sony's IDENTITY.

Everything comes down to marketing and price. Sony know what they are doing, the Playstation brand knows what it is but Sony have done a bad job conveying it.

For a media outlet (be it Kotaku, Gamespot, GiantBomb or IGN) to say that the PS3 doesn't have an identity kinda makes me question their integrity though. I mean if I get it, then how come these "video game professionals" don't?

I'd argue that it's because Sony knows what Playstation is that they're struggling this generation. Would people really expect Sony to come out with the Playstation 3 that didn't come without some kind of gimmick like Blu-Ray or the Cell? I mean really? Sony brought out the system that the Playstation brand represents. It might have been a mistake (because now they can't compete price wise) but to say it doesn't have an identity is wrong -- the Playstation 3 could be nothing less than what it is.

That's kinda the whole point. Are you with me? The Playstation 3 designed itself because... well that's the Playstation brand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I know I might rag on you every once in awhile, but you're one of the reasons I like this community.
    Intelligent, stimulating discourse about this hobby I'm so passionate about in this sea of lolcats pictures, soulja boi threads and people just shilling like fanboys.

When i think of the Playstation identity I think back to when the PS1 was first released. I rememebr being staunchly against it, as I would later be when the first Xbox was launched. Who teh fuck are these stupid entertainment companies entrenching on teh hallowed grounds of Nintendo and Sega.
    But Sony had this exciting new identity. WipeOut playing in the background in clubs while Prodigy was thumping. That Krazy Ivan commercial that was just eyepopping out of magazines. Hell all of the Designer's Republic shit and the whole faux-hip underground vibe which actually worked.
    They were on the bleeding cutting edge in everything, sleek design, trendy music and a wholly more cool persona then anything else.
    They capitalized on that with the PS2, now the Playstation brand was high class and hoity toity with this newfangled DVD playback and just stellar, stellar releases. Even with the freaky Third Place commercials, they still weren't so esoteric and out there or just too stupid or childish or in many cases non existant as Sega and Nintendo were. They've squandered their position away in a deluge of arrogance and stupidity and seem to be grabbing for both the Wii and the 360's established markets now. That's my feelings about the whole "me too" vibe I'm getting. Sony needs something which looks at you and says "Madness? THIS! IS! SONY!" and kicks you square in the solar plexus and makes you remember that they're supposed to be the industry leader, not some comical sidekick.

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PremierOctopus
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Levio91 said:
    "I cant say I agree with davis but I dont disagree. All I know is 360'S DPAD FUCKING SUCKS FUCK YOU DPAD I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!!!!! *runs away crying* 
    Although ive played a ps3 before the dpad is very good.

oh look at my mini bio to see my amazing gamertag."
    I hate you. So much."

In 2009 when the word Levio is uttered, everyone will shudder. It's annoying that every place has to have a village idiot.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, I think there is no way you can make these claims seriously. "Everyone copies ideas off of everyone else BLAH BLAH BLAH" is said too much, but it's true. Everyone has stolen ideas from one another so much that the sight of an original idea is questionable. Indeed, when nintendo released their moition controller, there were still other such ideas floating around years before.

Also, I disagreed with what he said on the 1up show about the spike awards and how they showed the brutal violent trailers. The average person has no idea that there is any kind of culture behind video games and calling it to attention on something so widely accepted such as TV makes me a bit uncomfortable. Sure, I love playing games, but unless it was at the topic at hand I would never dream of mentioning it as there is a stigma attatched to it. Relying on these horrible obscure game references and culture does nothing but drive back the person from playing and make our hobby less 'acceptable'.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By KamasamaK
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "LiquidPrince said:

If you're only talking about public perception, then I would modify that to "public action" since it can be clear that something was being worked on even before someone else announced it. If you're not just talking about perception, then that's not true. You can patent a technology without ever implementing it and it will be held that it was yours first.

Anyway,  I interpret a "me too" effort as copying for the sake of copying. In other words, just to say that you have it too. If it's something that many of your customers are requesting, then it would be irresponsible to ignore them. For example, I would categorize Microsoft's use of avatars as a "me too" effort for the most part. If anything, Sony has been very hesitant to implement some things that Xbox 360 has.

StaticFalconar said:
    "PSN at best beats the free Silver account on XBL and if the stars are aligned matches the Gold accounts, hence me too if the first service you saw was XBL."
    Uh, PSN beats Silver even at its worst. Dunno about the matching Gold part, though.
    Kersal_Massive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kersal_Massive
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Your over use of the honorific, Mr, is patronising and just plain dumb. Not unlike this thread. "
    This.

fucking wasted 30 seconds reading some butt hurt nerds rant here.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Red

Look, at first, the 360 was a Me Too system. Forza=Gran Turismo, they practically took every exclusive Sony had at the time and if they couldn't they made their own. The thing is, when Msoft "made their own" especially when it came to online, they did it better than Sony.
    So then, Sony started playing catch-up. He meant they'll just be playing catch-up forever.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "

PS3 's originality :
    -Blu-ray

- Home

"
    The Only On, and Only For was first implemented by Nintendo. Dont you remember the upper side of the boxes of the cartridges having the "Only For" logo? Sony was late to implement it, as they thought until recently (really stupid move in the past though) that it was not necessary.
    MS copied for that matter the Home button, the sixaxis was born as an accessory for the first Warhawk back in 95, and in that time, you could call it a rip off from the Power Globe. Everyone copies everyone, and in the end, it was Nintendo who brought most to the table, and Sony and MS just added complements to the game.
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By SpinCookie
    Tarsier said:
    "The reason they are calling it a "me too" system is because the 360 did all of those things first, and is still doing them better. Sony is playing catch up really."
    I agree with that, even though I love my PS3, Microsoft did get there first.  Sony may eventually push past them, but right now they are playing a little catch up.
    Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Superchris129

I think the true moral of the story here is: If you have and anime picture as you're icon... you're automatically a sony fanboy.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Willy105

Actually, I agree.

The PS3 is the biggest "Me Too" system I have seen in a long while.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TeflonBilly said:
    one of the dumbest comments i have ever read. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.