Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Trying to use Sony 3D Display as PC 3D monitor

ymemoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ymemoo

Hello,

I am trying to play 3D MKV files on my PC using the Sony 3D Diplay as the monitor.
    I can't get the videos to play in 3D; I just see 2 images side by side.
    The 3D test on the NVidia Control Panel shows that the 3D is working, but I can't get any programs for the movies to work.
    In the website "http://www.3dvisionlive.com/" I am not able to see 3D pictures either; I just see 2 images side-by-side again.
    Programs I tried are NVidia 3D Vision Video, Stereoscopic Player, & Bino.
    I try to mess with the settings of the input (Side-by-Side, Top/Bottom, etc.) and sometimes in fullscreen,
    there is a glitched black square that shows through only 1 of the lens of the 3D glasses.
    This makes me want to believe that there is some kind of 3D thing happeneing and that I need to tweak some options or something.

QUESTIONS

Even if the 3D test works, does it still matter that I am using a DVI-HDMI cable when playing movie files?
    Does the fact that I can't see 3D pictures either mean that my computer is just not set up for 3D?
    Are there any tests I can conduct to isolate where the problem is coming from? (maybe trying to get the 3D picture to work first)
    Is there a way to know what "layout" format an MKV file would be? (side-by-side, top/bottom, interlaced, field-sequential, etc.)
    So I know what to tell my video program the kind of MKV file I'm giving it to play.
    Are there any tests I can conduct to isolate where the problem is coming from so I can fix it?
    What steps/procedures should I do to get the 3D to work? (maybe trying to get the 3D pictures to work first)

INFO

Sony Playstation 3D Display - http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/index.html
    NVidia GeForce GTX 480 - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-480/specifications
    AMD Phenom II X2 565 Processor 3.40 Gz
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Sorry for the wall of text; I'm trying to be thorough. I hope someone can help.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Mini

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Istealdreams

So I thought about buying one of these exclusively for 3d pc playing, and after a lot of research, most resources said that it was shit and that nvidia does not support this tv as a 3d monitor at all. Good luck though, and i hope you figure something out cause a $180 24" 3d monitor is a sweet deal!

ymemoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ymemoo

@Istealdreams: Well, I do have a PS3 to play the 3D games and I wanted a 2nd monitor for composing music on ProTools. The fact that it was $100 on Black Friday and was 3D got me to just pick it up.

I do like display for what it was meant for though, but it would be nice if I can do more. ^^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.