Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Unsurprisingly, George 'GeoHot' Hotz has Some Thoughts About this Whole PSN Hacking Thing

Scrubiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By Scrubiii

I don't know if I'm the only one but I thought the quote from Anonymous was really funny. It's odd but I actually find that I respect them. I don't know how many other people have seen this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor4hM but I think it's great. They seem like they only go for people who really deserve it, as with this case, or they are just in it for a laugh, like their threat to Sony. 

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#252  Edited By Xsheps

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#253  Edited By Hailinel
    @Afroman269 said:
    " People still say noob? "
    Only if they spend all their time hacking electronics while the majority of their social interaction requires the internet.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By iam3green

know that was going to be said.

jamesisaacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#255  Edited By jamesisaacs

Hackers done it for such a lame reason...ugh damn nerds would never do something of that scale in public to someones face the pocket protected virgin losers!

P.S. Geohotz looks like a virgin too.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ronald said:
    " @subvertedhope said:

"
    And the number of giant multinational corporation sympathizers on here saddens me. They have plenty of money and lawyers (and judges and politicians on their side as well), they don't need you to white-knight them. Such good little consumers. "

And this is the kind of thinking that cost my entire store, from associates up through store manager their jobs. "Your company has plenty of money, I should be allowed to steal as much as I want" is the same excuse I heard again and again from the thieves who would rob us of our product and lead to the store team being replaced. Because it is not the company that gets hurt by this type of hacking (which is a form of theft). It is the hard working employees who get hurt by it. They get fired, even if the fault in the system had nothing to do with it. It is the PSN users who now have to worry about their identities being stolen who have to worry. They suddenly can't get a mortgage on a house or an automotive loan because someone else decided it would be fun to steal their identity, which is what happened to my mother. But it's always the easy excuse to forget the people who get hurt by these actions when we can just call it the "corporation". "
    What happened to you, your company AND your mother, while awful if we take it as real, doesn't relate to this discussion. (but you do seem to have a lot of misfortune) The fault does lie with Sony in this case.  They implemented their security poorly (non random seed - an amateur error which is essentially gross negligence on such a large scale as this) which they then tried to cover by removing the OtherOS feature rather then actually fixing the problem.  Had Sony fixed the problem which they caused without inconveniencing their consumers none of this would have happened.  The interest in hacking the PS3 was extremely low until Sony's removal of OtherOS.  On the one hand it infuriated some who felt that they had had something taken away from them which Sony had no right to take and on the other it sent warning bells ringing because it meant that OtherOS Support and thus Linux might reveal some of the deeper aspects of the hardware which people had otherwise assumed (based on what Sony had always said) were never going to be available.

But it's always the easy excuse to forgo reality in favour of making up some bullshit to fit a line of reasoning where people don't have to be responsible for the choices they make.  Especially when it suits you to complain because you've had downtime to your precious PSN.  Just be honest.
    wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#257  Edited By wintermute

Wait, I can only say "noob" ironically now? Man, you kids with the slang, always changing it around (er, I mean "changing it up") at the drop of a hat (do we still say "drop of a hat"?) It's so hard for us oldsters (is "oldsters" okay?) to keep up because we don't mainline (what about "mainline"?) the "newspeak" (wait, most of you were probably born after 1984).

Please interpret this entire post ironically, if doing so makes it seem more "hip".

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#258  Edited By vigorousjammer

I have absolutely no problem with hardware "hacking"

The stuff GeoHot does is simply modifications to a product HE OWNS.
    It's no worse than Jailbreaking an iPhone

sure, pirating games on a modified Playstation isn't cool, and I understand why Sony would block that stuff... but why block the homebrew?

I mean, just because the games don't have an ESRB rating shouldn't matter, the Xbox 360 Indie Games section is a perfect example of homebrew done right.  You put a warning before each game that it wasn't rated, and let people put up whatever they want.

Although in that case, the $90 a year price tag is a bit ridiculous, even considering the servers they need to run to host the stuff, it seems like a lot of money.

That being said, Sony should do something similar.

JonPadgett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#259  Edited By JonPadgett

Geohot is correct for some of what he is saying. But if you really think about this, he has nothing to do with the hack attempts so you can't blame him for all of this. Honestly completely shutting down the PSN was not their brightest idea and made alot of people upset. But hey, You know. Companies like sony, youtube, and google shouldn't mess with hackers. Frankly its stupid. The only company that hasn't called them out or threatened  them is Microsoft. Its smart to stay out of the fire when everyone else is burning themselves on it. 

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#260  Edited By CraigAA1028

Telling hackers they can't get into PSN is like telling a teenager he can't get into a bar. Give him some time and he'll find a way if he really wants to.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CraigAA said:
    " Telling hackers they can't get into PSN is like telling a teenager he can't get into a bar. Give him some time and he'll find a way if he really wants to. "
    You can't beat a 100%.  Liking your STALKER : CoP LP btw.  You should turn on shadows etc.  At least for a quick squiz so people can see how the game is supposed to look.
    Sheltro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#262  Edited By Sheltro

I find it soo funny

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By MrAristocrates
    @JonPadgett:  Shutting down PSN was the best thing they could have done in the circumstances.
    SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By SavageM2

I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I have to say I really like this quote:
    "Running homebrew and exploring security on your devices is cool, hacking into someone elses server and stealing databases of user info is not cool. You make the hacking community look bad, even if it is aimed at douches like Sony."

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#265  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@SavageM2 said:

I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I have to say I really like this quote:"Running homebrew and exploring security on your devices is cool, hacking into someone elses server and stealing databases of user info is not cool. You make the hacking community look bad, even if it is aimed at douches like Sony."

Seems an odd thing to "really like". Is it in an ironic way? Even then it seems like a really generic quote for irony even. Hmm... Or perhaps there is something I'm not seeing?

miva2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#266  Edited By miva2

he's so funny

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.