What are the pros and cons of Playstation AllStars Battle Royale?

#1 Posted by manicraider (87 posts) -

I already know that it's a Smash clone and that they kinda searched the bottom of their library's barrel for a few of their characters but I'd still like to know what people who have played it and/or own it think.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Pros

• I enjoy the concept of stages being a mix of two game franchises.
  • Character themes during their level 3 supers are a nice touch.
  • Attention to detail regarding characters' moves is nice.
  • I have no problem with the game's roster.

Cons

Everything else. Which is to say its horrible UI, its lackluster story mode (which, I guess, was to be expected) and, most importantly, how the game plays.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

It's a Smash clone in the same way that Burnout is a Gran Turismo clone.

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

That's a horrible analogy.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@StarvingGamer

That doesn't stop it from being a poor game in its own right.
#6 Posted by manicraider (87 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

I only said that to avoid anyone else saying it because a lot of people feel that it is a clone. I wanted to avoid any comparisons to Smash and for people to focus on the game itself.

#7 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@StarvingGamer said:

That's a horrible analogy.

You're right, I should have said Hot Pursuit instead of Burnout.

@Hailinel said:

@StarvingGamer

That doesn't stop it from being a poor game in its own right.

I never said otherwise. But the game should be praised or condemned on its own merits, not through some misguided notion that it somehow copies Smash.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@manicraider said:

@StarvingGamer said:

I only said that to avoid anyone else saying it because a lot of people feel that it is a clone. I wanted to avoid any comparisons to Smash and for people to focus on the game itself.

Might I suggest that next time rather than saying that you "know" that it's a Smash clone, you say "I've already heard the arguments about it being a Smash clone," or something to that effect? Stating that you "know" something implies that you accept it as fact.

#9 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I haven't really played the game, but I tried it out at this year's PAX. Don't do an All Big Daddies match. Unless you want to punish yourself with one of the slowest games ever made, intentionally or otherwise.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: How about Gran Turismo and Forza? There's some key differences, Sony All-Stars definitely has a very different match structue.. But claiming they're nothing alike is either crazy or childish. There's a lot of similarities and they were very obviously trying to replicate Smash Brothers (which doesn't need to be taken as an insult).

#11 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@StarvingGamer

@manicraider said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Might I suggest that next time rather than saying that you "know" that it's a Smash clone, you say "I've already heard the arguments about it being a Smash clone," or something to that effect? Stating that you "know" something implies that you accept it as fact.

You're right it's not a clone, it's the retarded cousin with downs. Which is to say that it shares the same flaws with Smash Brothers and a ton more. But it's beautiful in it's own special way if you learn to appreciate the little things it does right.
#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: No, I'd say that Forza and Gran Turismo are actually more similar to each other than Smash and PAS. As a caveat, I haven't actually played Forza, but my general argument is this: When you have multiple games within a genre where so much is standardized across all games, like fighting games and driving games, the clearest way to draw your comparisons comes from analyzing the games on a mechanical level. The mechanics of PAS are to the mechanics of Smash as the mechanics of Hot Pursuit are to the mechanics of Gran Turismo.

#13 Edited by Kidavenger (3599 posts) -

I have it on Vita, I didn't really get into it, seems like the levels are too big, felt like a was spending more time running around than fighting.

The one thing that I was worried about was that the game would take no skill, I was wrong about that one part, there are people online that tear shit up.

#14 Posted by GalacticPunt (1090 posts) -

Got it for free with the Vita Black Friday bundle. So I think it is worthwhile in terms of my time investment.

Pros

*Sharp graphics and silky-smooth framerate (especially compared to Assassin's Creed Vita, Jesus Fucking Shit...)

* Surprising depth to the move-sets of the different characters

*A bazillion customization unlocks make online grinding pretty fun

Cons

-Arcade mode is pretty half-assed. Even more than you expect. "Cutscenes" are pretty pointless, and not enough variety between different character's Arcade runs.

-Menus are REALLY empty and generic, actually seem like placeholders. Maybe one day they'll patch in some style.

-Yeah, I know there are already a lot of lawyers already involved in this, but WHERE THE FUCK is Crash Bandicoot, Solid Snake, and Cloud Strife! The fans want classic characters, not new-jack busters whose games are coming out in 2013 (Raiden and new Dante).

#15 Posted by rentfn (1283 posts) -

I've never played Smash Brothers before and the Vita bundle I bought came with this game for free but I've enjoyed it so far. I've played as a couple of characters through the story modes. I like that there are a ton of unlockables for each character. I haven't played it on PS3 but I've enjoyed my time on the Vita.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.