What do you think about the lawsuit against Sony?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
#2 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Lawsuit?

#3 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

bull-fucking-ambulance-chasing-shit 
the people that involved in this are the people that didn't know fast food was unhealthy

#4 Posted by DarkShaper (1333 posts) -

A bit of context please. 

#5 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Its poop.

#6 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

I think he's talking about the lawsuit that's been filed against them in regards to them removing the other OS feature.  Something like - the original price of the system was so high because of the feature, and by removing the feature those that bought original models overpaid for their systems and deserve a refund for what the system would have cost if the feature was never there in the first place.  Or something like that.

#7 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@FateOfNever: exactly
#8 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

This poll is referring to the two lawsuits that have been filed in Northern California courts that claim Sony is in a breach on contract over the update to the PS3 firmware that blocks the ability to install Linux under the other OS option. The suits basically claim that Sony is leaving user with two undesirable situations: update and block the other OS feature, or; don't update, keep the other OS feature but not be able to play newer PS3 games or access any of the PSN online stuff.

#9 Posted by DarkShaper (1333 posts) -
@FateOfNever: Fuck those people, get over it.
#10 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. 

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The sueing people are not gonna win. Simple as that. 

#12 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

Ahh  this is the first I'm hearing of this lawsuit

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" Ahh  this is the first I'm hearing of this lawsuit "
Some person is mad they got their Linux taken away and are sueing Sony.  

@OP. Why is there no option to say the person sueing is a moron? 
#14 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

That people are petty. I'm sure they were completely up and arms about in-game XMB or upgrading flash support and the multitude of codecs for free and never updated. People want to complain for the sake of complaining because it's not like they can't partition a gig on their desktop and run an exponentially better experience.

#15 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Coombs said:
Some person is mad they got their Linux taken away and are sueing Sony.   @OP. Why is there no option to say the person sueing is a moron?  "
yeah thats why i havent voted yet. i think the person suing is a retard. 
#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Coombs said:
Some person is mad they got their Linux taken away and are sueing Sony.   @OP. Why is there no option to say the person sueing is a moron?  "
yeah thats why i havent voted yet. i think the person suing is a retard.  "
Yes you own the system. No you don't own the software. Case closed. You know Sony went though their army of lawyers before this happened. 
#17 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Ryax said:
" @Coombs said:
yeah thats why i havent voted yet. i think the person suing is a retard.  "
Yes you own the system. No you don't own the software. Case closed. You know Sony went though their army of lawyers before this happened.  "
yeah. the guy who's suing is gonna lose because of exactly what you said. he should have to use the ps3 the way sony wants it to be used. 
#18 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: because they are not, and have a valid point, i myself bought the ps3 for a high price, one of the reasons i did this was because it had an other os feature, with that taken away it's value to me has decreased.
#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: because they are not, and have a valid point, i myself bought the ps3 for a high price, one of the reasons i did this was because it had an other os feature, with that taken away it's value to me has decreased. "
Then you are not representing everyone. I know a lot of people do not care about the OS feature. Just use a computer.... 

Again you do not own the software. 
#20 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

#21 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Where is the option of, I think it's a good thing? I should of sued them back then for removing backwards compatibility without me knowing, since I had to get my console replaced with another one. It wasn't doing what it advertised.  

Sony should stop removing features out of nowhere like that, ppl who had an operating system on it should sue them.

#22 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

I didn't care about the other OS feature when I got it.  I just wanted to play some games.

#23 Posted by DarkShaper (1333 posts) -

Yah I have a computer and a PS2 all I need my PS3 to do is run Blue Ray Discs. 

#24 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

Dude, where's the option of "I like SONY and like the PS3 the way it is." 

Either it's Meh, or we bring the OS feature back. Where's the other option? 

I like you and all, but you make retarded-ass polls.

#25 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -

I don't care about the lawsuit, but if they get me some money I'll take it.

#26 Posted by Lawrens (688 posts) -

I'm not going to argue whether it's right or wrong, I really don't give a shit because I don't use linux, but that could be said for bluray films as well, since I don't watch movies on my ps3. I hope someone find an exploit with bluray films and I hope Sony remove that, same goes to psx BC and media streaming capability, I don't use them all and it would be amazing to see the backlash, I mean, I don't use them and I only play games, so therefore they have all the right to remove everything else it was advertised for, and people complaining are just retards, it would be hilarious amirite? 

as for the "right" way to use the ps3. Here's a quote from Phil Harrison, I'll just leave this here:

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

#27 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@lead_farmer: but did you care after you got it?
#28 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -
@organicalistic_: Not really.  I have a PC so I didn't really think about changing the OS.  I still think it's kind of a bummer for those who had that in mind when they got it.
#29 Posted by Tennmuerti (8101 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" bull-fucking-ambulance-chasing-shit  the people that involved in this are the people that didn't know fast food was unhealthy "
Pretty much this.
Someone is just fishing for money.
#30 Posted by face15 (1300 posts) -

Where's the 'Sony has the right to remove the feature since it helps piracy and modding of the system' option?

#31 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @organicalistic_ said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: because they are not, and have a valid point, i myself bought the ps3 for a high price, one of the reasons i did this was because it had an other os feature, with that taken away it's value to me has decreased. "
Then you are not representing everyone. I know a lot of people do not care about the OS feature. Just use a computer....  Again you do not own the software.  "
This isn't about software ownership.  It's about misrepresentation of good and services and actually by law, some Sony PS3 selling retailers have had to pay recompense to customers who've lost access to the OtherOS feature, even though they've claimed it was a 'customer service' choice.  If this was not protected under Goods and Services and Fair Trade laws then these retailers wouldn't do anything or offer any form of monetary recompense.  You can be damn sure whatever money has been paid back to customers has been billed to Sony by these retailers.

God, kids these days.  You'll spout any line of corporate bullshit as long you think you're right.  A whole generation of poorly educated people who have no idea of their own rights and freedoms protected under law.  The corporations have bred you well.
#32 Edited by Bluethunder35 (337 posts) -

I wonder if the reason the Wii and the 360 sell more units than the PS3 is because you can buy the Wii and the 360 and then mod it and pirate the games without any impunity? If you were able to pirate PS3 games, would it move more consoles? You would think so.
I really don't care about the removal of the OS option but if it was done to combat piracy, more power to them. Sony should be given respect for telling the pirates "Not on our console!". There will be that vocal minority that will hate on Sony forever over it. I'd like to see how many legit games these dudes have.
I hate piracy and I hate going on Kijiji and seeing people selling modded consoles and thinking it's O.K. We live in a society where people only care about their selfish needs and not everybody else's. Who cares if some programmer loses their job as long as I can play a pirated copy of such-and-such game?

#33 Posted by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -
@Lawrens said:
I hope someone find an exploit with bluray films and I hope Sony remove that
Tho I don't really care, that's what I always think of too.
I know everyone's gonna say "but way more people use that feature" but that's not the point.
I don't personally care that they ripped out Linux, but it is kinda creepy to know that Sony is comfortable with removing features if it suits their needs.
#34 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

But, but... "It only does EVERYTHING."

#35 Posted by m1k3 (1330 posts) -

once the first person starting suing Sony, an bunch of "me too's" starting following suit.

#36 Posted by Inane_Asylum (6 posts) -

I hope they bring it back...

#37 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -

Stupid voting choices - #3-#5 are basically all the same.

#38 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

Meh.  I've used FreeBSD and Linux at my IT job for the last 10 years...but I wouldn't care to use Linux on the PS3.  On the other hand, maybe the lawsuit has legal merit.  I don't know and I don't care.

#39 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -
@strangeling said:
" But, but... "It only does EVERYTHING." "
BOOM! Case closed people, move on!

Seriously though, that poll only has 2 options, "dont care" and "i want my linux back".
#40 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

The Air Force certainly isn't happy. The over 2200 PS3's they bought for it's hardware cost a lot of money, including the whole cost of the project. They had it configured using the "other OS," and the update took that away. That is a lot of money that went straight down the drain, so of course they probably support this lawsuit.

#41 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @organicalistic_ said:
Then you are not representing everyone. I know a lot of people do not care about the OS feature. Just use a computer....  Again you do not own the software.  "
This isn't about software ownership.  It's about misrepresentation of good and services and actually by law, some Sony PS3 selling retailers have had to pay recompense to customers who've lost access to the OtherOS feature, even though they've claimed it was a 'customer service' choice.  If this was not protected under Goods and Services and Fair Trade laws then these retailers wouldn't do anything or offer any form of monetary recompense.  You can be damn sure whatever money has been paid back to customers has been billed to Sony by these retailers.  God, kids these days.  You'll spout any line of corporate bullshit as long you think you're right.  A whole generation of poorly educated people who have no idea of their own rights and freedoms protected under law.  The corporations have bred you well. "
This. This is the reason why I'm for the lawsuit.
#42 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Wow, lotta hate here for possibly the only lawsuit in a long time that actually has a valid complaint (that does not make it a legitimate, or credibly suit however) 

Dude just wants his Linux, among the tech-heads I know, I know at least 2 people who bought the PS3 with big Linux plans and were incredibly angry about this. It might not effect you or me, but jeese, there's no need to be so angry at the guy filing the lawsuit. Had Sony given the guy the option to not upgrade, then sure, bullshit. But damn, just because a feature you don't use vanishes doesn't mean nobody uses that feature.

#43 Posted by MachoFantastico (4687 posts) -

The feature is neat, but the people moaning about it are just after some cash. Not having that feature makes no difference to me personally, forgot the PS3 had it. 

#44 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Nettacki said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @organicalistic_ said:
This isn't about software ownership.  It's about misrepresentation of good and services and actually by law, some Sony PS3 selling retailers have had to pay recompense to customers who've lost access to the OtherOS feature, even though they've claimed it was a 'customer service' choice.  If this was not protected under Goods and Services and Fair Trade laws then these retailers wouldn't do anything or offer any form of monetary recompense.  You can be damn sure whatever money has been paid back to customers has been billed to Sony by these retailers.  God, kids these days.  You'll spout any line of corporate bullshit as long you think you're right.  A whole generation of poorly educated people who have no idea of their own rights and freedoms protected under law.  The corporations have bred you well. "
This. This is the reason why I'm for the lawsuit. "
yup i agree with this entirely
#45 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @organicalistic_ said:
I take what Sony says with a pinch of salt. All I really said was that he was gonna lose. 
#46 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

I see no reason to sue really. 

I'm more pissed that last night I discovered Microsoft has been taking money out of my account every month for Live. arseholes.

#47 Posted by Blair (2506 posts) -

These options are totally slanted.  What about the 'this lawsuit is frivolous' option?

#48 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I didn't really worry about the other os feature.  I had no idea what I would even use it for. 

I wonder how this would impact all those PS3 units bought by the us military though. I seem to recall them buying a bunch of systems for something. Maybe it was the airforce?  
 I can't recall entirely. 

#49 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Blair said:
" These options are totally slanted.  What about the 'this lawsuit is frivolous' option? "
This isn't a frivolous lawsuit.  It's a lawsuit which is protected and in fact encouraged under Fair Trade Practices.  You just happen to be selfish and small minded, but that doesn't make the lawsuit any less important.
#50 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" I think he's talking about the lawsuit that's been filed against them in regards to them removing the other OS feature.  Something like - the original price of the system was so high because of the feature, and by removing the feature those that bought original models overpaid for their systems and deserve a refund for what the system would have cost if the feature was never there in the first place.  Or something like that. "
I bought a PS3 yesterday. Does it have the feature or not ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.