Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

What "Free" Game Have You Chosen This Year?

• 62 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
    deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

I used the money that I would have had to use to pay for a yearly XBL subscription, to pick up a copy of Red Dead Redemption for PS3.  What about you?

P.S. - I have no problem with the 360.  Every time I play on one at a friend's place, we have a blast. It simply occurred to me that depending on the price of the game, I am getting a "free" title every year because I don't have to subscribe to an on-line service such as XBL.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " I don't have to subscribe to an on-line service such as XBL. "
    Neither do the people who play 360.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

I don't understand this thread, you mean about PS+?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By N7

You could have used that money for a Giant Bomb subscription. Go to your room and feel bad about what you've done today because it was wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melcene said:

" @Doppelgamer said:

Neither do the people who play 360. "
    According to Microsoft you do, if you want to play on-line.  That's the savings I'm talking about.  Again, 360 is fine in my books.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@N7 said:
    " You could have used that money for a Giant Bomb subscription. Go to your room and feel bad about what you've done today because it was wrong. "
    I'm actually planning to once I'm back to work again, but Giant Bomb doesn't quite relax me after a tiring day of job hunting, quite like a good game.  Definitely one of the first things I do once I get going again.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By melcene
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " @melcene said:

" @Doppelgamer said:

Neither do the people who play 360. "
    According to Microsoft you do, if you want to play on-line.  That's the savings I'm talking about.  Again, 360 is fine in my books. "
    But not all people care about playing online with others.  It's a choice not a necessity.  Just like you could choose to pay for the PS+ service.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

what a weird thread

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

Fanboys are sad... Also how does it feel to know you got an inferior "free" version of RDR?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melcene said:
    But not all people care about playing online with others.  It's a choice not a necessity.  Just like you could choose to pay for the PS+ service. "
    I don't recall mentioning that it wasn't a choice for those people.  I'm talking about the money that people who want to play on-line are saving.  This thread was never about those people, sorry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Enigma777 said:
    " Fanboys are sad... Also how does it feel to know you got an inferior "free" version of RDR? "
    People who don't read posts and jump to conclusions are worse.  I agree that fanboys are terrible, but I've stated that I like the 360, and am not one.  I've played Halo 3 and Mass Effect at friend's appartments many times, and I find there to be many superior features to the 360.  It simply occurred to me that some of us are actually getting a free game once in a while, that's all there is to it.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By N7

I fear this thread is about to evolve.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

I get free games all the time because I play on my PC. 
    See we can all do it. 

I meant the constant giveaways that happen by Devs, not piracy.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By kariyanine

I see what you are getting at, Game=$60 and XBL Gold=$60 but I've never really viewed it as Microsoft is depriving me of a game every year. I view it more along the lines of if I want to get the best multiplayer experience on a console I need to pony up for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlexW00d said:

" I get free games all the time because I play on my PC. See we can all do it.     I meant the constant giveaways that happen by Devs, not piracy. "

An excellent point actually.  It's great when a developer releases a PC title for free, and that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about.  People are just assuming that this is an anti-360 thread, when it's not.

As an aside, what free PC titles have you enjoyed?  I already had Portal when they made it free, but I imagine that many liked that very much.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enigma777
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " Fanboys are sad... Also how does it feel to know you got an inferior "free" version of RDR? "
    People who don't read posts and jump to conclusions are worse.  I agree that fanboys are terrible, but I've stated that I like the 360, and am not one.  I've played Halo 3 and Mass Effect at friend's appartments many times, and I find there to be many superior features to the 360.  It simply occurred to me that some of us are actually getting a free game once in a while, that's all there is to it. "
    Oh, I read every comment. If you're not a fanboy, you certainly come off as one in this thread, even if you weren't trying to...
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grissefar

You're really subtle about your flamebait.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " @melcene said:
    But not all people care about playing online with others.  It's a choice not a necessity.  Just like you could choose to pay for the PS+ service. "
    I don't recall mentioning that it wasn't a choice for those people.  I'm talking about the money that people who want to play on-line are saving.  This thread was never about those people, sorry. "
    I may get a free game, but I also get the inconviencience of the damn PS3 online interface and slowness, and also it randomly loses my internet connection every hour and a half or so. I'm not saying that's everyone's experience, but I've had a far better/easier time on XBL than on PSN.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Doppelgamer said:

It simply occurred to me that some of us are actually getting a free game once in a while, that's all there is to it. "

I think some of have a more, shall we say, advanced concept of how personal finances work where not buying one thing doesn't really equal another.

I was considering putting in a stone counter top, but I decided to go with a simple laminate instead. I suppose I could look at that and say "Hey! 37.5 free games!!" but that would be, you know, stupid. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Enigma777 said:
    Oh, I read every comment. If you're not a fanboy, you certainly come off as one in this thread, even if you weren't trying to... "
    I can see where you're coming from, it can be interpreted that way if one is looking for such a thing.  Yet, how else am I supposed to bring up my thoughts on this?  I stated that I like the 360 fine.  Alex mentioned that the PC has this with regard to free titles.  When someone gets a free title on XBL they are in effect "saving" money which can go towards a game too.  It's the concept that I'm talking about here, but given that people have seen so many 360 vs PS3 posts, I have to expect suspect trolling where it doesn't exist.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Enigma777
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    Oh, I read every comment. If you're not a fanboy, you certainly come off as one in this thread, even if you weren't trying to... "
    I can see where you're coming from, it can be interpreted that way if one is looking for such a thing.  Yet, how else am I supposed to bring up my thoughts on this?  I stated that I like the 360 fine.  Alex mentioned that the PC has this with regard to free titles.  When someone gets a free title on XBL they are in effect "saving" money which can go towards a game too.  It's the concept that I'm talking about here, but given that people have seen so many 360 vs PS3 posts, I have to expect suspect trolling where it doesn't exist. "
    Well, for one, a different thread title might have helped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss said:
    " @Doppelgamer said:

It simply occurred to me that some of us are actually getting a free game once in a while, that's all there is to it. "

I think some of have a more, shall we say, advanced concept of how personal finances work where not buying one thing doesn't really equal another.  I was considering putting in a stone counter top, but I decided to go with a simple laminate instead. I suppose I could look at that and say "Hey! 37.5 free games!!" but that would be, you know, stupid. :) "
    Sorry that example doesn't work.  For it to work, you would have had to need the counter top in order to do something that you had already planned to do.  Suddenly, you win a free counter top that you're entirely fine with.  That is where you saved money, as you were already going to spend money on something, but you ended up not having to.  Now you can use that "savings" to purchase things to use with the counter top sooner than you may have expected.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Skald

I don't "get" this thread.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Doppelgamer said:

I think some of have a more, shall we say, advanced concept of how personal finances work where not buying one thing doesn't really equal another.  I was considering putting in a stone counter top, but I decided to go with a simple laminate instead. I suppose I could look at that and say "Hey! 37.5 free games!!" but that would be, you know, stupid. :) "
    Sorry that example doesn't work.  For it to work, you would have had to need the counter top in order to do something that you had already planned to do.  Suddenly, you win a free counter top that you're entirely fine with.  That is where you saved money, as you were already going to spend money on something, but you ended up not having to.  Now you can use that "savings" to purchase things to use with the counter top sooner than you may have expected. "
    As a said, some of us have more advanced concept of how personal finances work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss said:
    As a said, some of us have more advanced concept of how personal finances work. "
    Calling your view more advanced without explaining your point accurately doesn't help me out much though, does it?  I'd love to hear what the more advanced or correct view is.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hexx462
    @extremeradical said:
    " I don't "get" this thread. "
    I don't think the OP does either. I wish people would at least own up to their flamebaiting and trolling bullshit instead of double backing on it like @Dopplegamer has done. The title is clearly has antagonistic intentions.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlightConfuse

so instead of playing for xbox live you bought Read Dead Redemption

congratulations

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I save money by cutting down on yoghurt consumption..but I really like plain yoghurt. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexx462 said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    I don't think the OP does either. I wish people would at least own up to their flamebaiting and trolling bullshit instead of double backing on it like @Dopplegamer has done. The title is clearly has antagonistic intentions. "
    So it's impossible to post something like this without it being a flame?  My original post contained the message that I did not hate the 360.  You're making an assumption.  I must admit that I can see why you'd say that, but it really wasn't my intent at the time.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hitchenson

I haven't got a disk PS3 game since Christmas '09. Damn, that is quite some time.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hexx462
    @Doppelgamer said:
    " So it's impossible to post something like this without it being a flame?  My original post contained the message that I did not hate the 360.  You're making an assumption.  I must admit that I can see why you'd say that, but it really wasn't my intent at the time. "
    You may not hate it, but it's clearly a dig at Xbox Live. Not that I'm in the business of sticking up for Microsoft (or any one platform), but I don't understand how you could write a thread title like that and not have that intent. You're either admitting that you are a tad dense or are double backing.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Considering I'm not poor, and using that line of logic, it's like I get EVERY game for "free". 
    WHOOO!

@Doppelgamer:
     I think @ProfessorEss' analogy works, the PS3's online is like laminate counter-top, and the XBL Gold is like the stone. As in the PS3's online has flaws and less polish, that I'm very happy to pay to get rid of. I play a lot of PS3, but never online, and for a damn good reason. 
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 02sfraser

I used it to get Playstation Plus and get lots of free games. Seemed the logical thing to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexx462 said:
    " @Doppelgamer said:
    " So it's impossible to post something like this without it being a flame?  My original post contained the message that I did not hate the 360.  You're making an assumption.  I must admit that I can see why you'd say that, but it really wasn't my intent at the time. "
    You may not hate it, but it's clearly a dig at Xbox Live. Not that I'm in the business of sticking up for Microsoft (or any one platform), but I don't understand how you could write a thread title like that and not have that intent. You're either admitting that you are a tad dense or are double backing. "
    It really wasn't an intended dig at them.  I guess it's just been ages since I started a forum topic anywhere and I failed to realize how easily people perceive such a thing as an attack, when you're only using something as an example.  In this case I was indeed a tad dense.  (As all humans are from time to time.)
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @extremeradical said:
    Yeah, I don't know what is happening either.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Grissefar said:
    " You're really subtle about your flamebait. "
    It's not flamebait, it's basically open fanboyism disguised by ambiguity.

C'mon, I only own a PS3 now, and even I think this thread is a farce.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
    " I save money by cutting down on yoghurt consumption..but I really like plain yoghurt.  "
    Yogurt is really good, isn't it? I prefer Vanilla, never really liked plain, but hey, to each their own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aus_azn said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    " You're really subtle about your flamebait. "
    It's not flamebait, it's basically open fanboyism disguised by ambiguity.C'mon, I only own a PS3 now, and even I think this thread is a farce. "

If I had been discussing Steam's free offering of Portal with my friend instead of his 360 subscription, when I realized that there was a savings that I was putting use towards a game, then I would have posted this on in the PC forums and it would have been about how I felt that the money that some were going to spend on Portal could now be used for something else.  It just happened to be that I was thinking of PSN at the time.  ...but given the number of trolls that no doubt bash consoles of all types, I understand that many people would rather assume that I'm being negative, and not give me the benefit of the doubt.  I'm sorry if people have taken this way.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scooper

Don't remind me that I just spent £40 on a yearly XBL gold subscription a day ago when I only really play 1 game online. It's such a total bummer. 

Wish I went and got a PS3 but no one I know uses it so there's no point. I wanna get Battlefield 3 on PC. I can run it way better than console, it'll look awesome, it'll control so much better... but all my friends will be playing it on the 360 -.-
    Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EndlessObsidian

No Caption Provided
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

lol wut? i don't understand the question. i stopped paying for xbox live because i found out that ps3 online is about the same thing.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By buft
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Doppelgamer said:

damnit i went with the granite, now i lost out on 37.5 games, you sir have broken my heart with maths!
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#43  Edited By LordAndrew

You won't believe how many free games I'm getting this year by not buying a PlayStation 3!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

I don't understand what you're saying. You mean you don't think buying Xbox Live is worth the money, so you feel like you're getting something for free 'cause you can spend the money elsewhere? Ha, what the fuck? Just because you do enjoy playing Xbox from time to time, you do seem a bit fanboyist (yeah, I just made that word up). If you were to buy Live (if you have an Xbox that is), you'd enjoy it just as much as playing on PS3. Don't try to make it clear that you have no bias because it just won't get across with what you've said. Try buying a 360 if you don't have one, and get Live. Trust me, you won't be saying what you said. Only time I hate the 360 is when the year is up and I have to find a way to pay for another year, which for you shouldn't be a problem since you have a whole year, and you're not me. Also, tell me if I understood you correctly, if not, then avoid my comment and we'll be on our way since I acted ignorantly.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By sweep  Moderator

This thread is bananas. Attempts to balance out the monetary cost of an online experience are going to be inevitably futile. What about the fact that a PS3 costs more than an XBOX, and that you could use that money to buy the Gold Subscription? Does not buying a PS3 therefore make XBL Gold "Free"? What about that Xbox Live is a potentially superior online service with features that make Xbox Live a much more rewarding online experience? A lot of people would argue that it's worth paying for, whilst the PS3 alternative is not, which would make the purchase of Red Dead Redemption on PS3 slightly redundant if you have any interest in playing online. This is all subjective. I'm not an XBOX fanboy, I'm merely demonstrating an alternative mentality to the one you have provided. 

There is no equilibrium to this argument.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Enigma777 said:
    It is not inferior you see, RDR for PS3 comes out of the box with online multiplayer and 360's don't, why? because doesn't matter how many copies of the game you buy, if you don't pay for the subscription you can't play online.
    btw you gotta be a fanboy to defend such thing as the XBL subscritption.

if i had the 360 i would pay for the subsciption, but i would never (even for a sec) think that i'm not being fucked by a greedy corporation who doesn't give a crap about me.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By Marz

i've been playing Battlefield Play4Free lately....  or is this thread about some other "FREE" thing >.>

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By wrathofconn
    @Sweep said:

" This thread is bananas. Attempts to balance out the monetary cost of an online experience are going to be inevitably futile. What about the fact that a PS3 costs more than an XBOX, and that you could use that money to buy the Gold Subscription? Does not buying a PS3 therefore make XBL Gold "Free"? What about that Xbox Live is a potentially superior online service with features that make Xbox Live a much more rewarding online experience? A lot of people would argue that it's worth paying for, whilst the PS3 alternative is not, which would make the purchase of Red Dead Redemption on PS3 slightly redundant if you have any interest in playing online. This is all subjective. I'm not an XBOX fanboy, I'm merely demonstrating an alternative mentality to the one you have provided. 

There is no equilibrium to this argument.

"

Opinions, huh?!

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    BORN FREE BABY
    Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Patman99

I get all the free games I want because Im a pirate.... No Im just kidding, I dont pirate games.

But yeah, I think this has been said but you are equating the value of two different things. I mean I get tons of "free games" by not upgrading my PC or by only buying generic brand groceries. But At the end of the day, people who want to pay for XBL do and those who dont, dont.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.