What should my first PS3 game be?

#1 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

So my PS3 will be arriving tomorrow and I need to choose a game to get. These are the requirements. 
1. It has to be a Playstation Exclusive. I just got rid of my Xbox 360. I want to play new games! 
2. I can't be a first person shooter. I am so sick of playing them. 

Right now I'm considering God of War III, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, and Infamous but I am open to suggestions. My only concern with God of War III is that I haven't played the first two and I'm willing to go back and play them but I want my first PS3 game to blow me away visually.

#2 Posted by face15 (1306 posts) -

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. No question.  
It is the most visually stunning game on the system and it's gameplay, story and pacing is fucking perfect. Seriously, it is amazing. 
And don't worry about playing the first one, there's not really any need.

#3 Edited by pectoral (124 posts) -

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.  It will blow you away visually. You could probably find the first game on the cheap right now if you want to be more updated on the story and characters. The first Uncharted is still an amazing looking and really fun quality game.

#4 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (214 posts) -

I would suggest you bought either Uncharted 1&2 or Infamous. They both have nice stories to back them up ( infamous' story is a lot better IMO) and great gameplay.

#5 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -
@Wolverine: 
valkyria chronicles 
uncharted 1 or 2 
metal gear solid 4 
disgaia 3  
heavy rain 
god of war (if you like that kind of thing)
thats all i can think of for now but there all worth playing and meat your specifications

#6 Edited by Zithe (1040 posts) -

Of the games you listed, I would go with Heavy Rain. I know I'm in the minority, but I really do not like the shooting in Uncharted 2. The characters and dialogue are well done, and the environments are cool, but I felt like the shooting was lacking.

#7 Posted by squallws (64 posts) -

@pectoral said:

"Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.  It will blow you away visually. You could probably find the first game on the cheap right now if you want to be more updated on the story and characters. The first Uncharted is still an amazing looking and really fun quality game. "

#8 Posted by Master_Funk (741 posts) -

Congrats on getting a ps3 

I agree with face15, Uncharted 2 is the best game on the PS3. 

Infamous is probably the best non GTA open world game I have ever played. 

GOW 3 is great too and don't worry about the story. All you need to know is that kratos wants to Kill EVERYONE including his dad Zeus. 

There are also some awesome PSN exclusive games like Shatter, Joe Danger, Pixeljunk games and flower

#9 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

I'd play Uncharted 1 before 2 and those are probably the games you should pick up. Personally my favourite PS3 exclusive is Demon's Souls by a long way so I'd recommend that as well. Also, I'm not sure what you're expecting but I really don't think there's any game that will 'blow you away visually' if you've already owned a 360 and seen stuff like Gears...maybe Uncharted 2, but really that's about on par with GoW2. 

#10 Posted by sarge1445 (677 posts) -

Uncharted 2 
Infamous 
Heavy Rain 

#11 Edited by DaemonicGrim (184 posts) -

LITTLE BIG PLANET! 

Though from your own suggestions I order them as: 

Uncharted (1 and 2) 
Infamous 
Heavy Rain  

I don't feel I need to justify the order of these first three, they're all great and that's simply the order in which I personally rank them 

Something else 
God of War III (this is a straight slash lots of enemies with rather similar weapons and platform around. I find all the story driven aspects to be sideshows rather than main attractions though I did enjoy playing it.) 
I feel it fair to note that I have played several God of War "clones" or "rip-offs" and quite simply found them to be more fun than GOW3 itself. Personally I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword though many may consider that blasphemy. And then there's Darksiders which I know isn't an exclusive but it is proven to run better on a ps3 and is just fun.

Other things I would recommend: 

Modnation Racers (if you like kart racing games only I suppose, but for that purpose it is unbeatable) 
Metal Gear Solid 4 (way too much cut-scene but once you've got past that the game itself is rather good) 

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Flower even though it's already been said. I feel I've betrayed myself. Flower is the most beautiful and relaxing game that I have ever played and yet it is so simple, a definite must for any PS3 owner.

#12 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
LittleBigPlanet
inFAMOUS
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
Demon's Souls

Any of these will do.

#13 Posted by danpat177 (136 posts) -

killzone 2 feels so much diffrant then normal fps that it shoudlent be counted out 

#14 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Infamous 
Heavy Rain 
Uncharted 2 
Valkyria Chronicles if your into japanese strategy games. 
God of War 3. 
And perhaps MGS4 if you really like the series although I think it's a little over-rated.

#15 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" Infamous Heavy Rain Uncharted 2 Valkyria Chronicles if your into japanese strategy games. God of War 3. And perhaps MGS4 if you really like the series although I think it's a little over-rated. "
Do I need to play the other MGS games in order to play MGS 4? If so, are they easy to find?
#16 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4

#17 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
@DaemonicGrim said:
" LITTLE BIG PLANET!  Though from your own suggestions I order them as:  Uncharted (1 and 2) Infamous Heavy Rain   I don't feel I need to justify the order of these first three, they're all great and that's simply the order in which I personally rank them Something else God of War III (this is a straight slash lots of enemies with rather similar weapons and platform around. I find all the story driven aspects to be sideshows rather than main attractions though I did enjoy playing it.) I feel it fair to note that I have played several God of War "clones" or "rip-offs" and quite simply found them to be more fun than GOW3 itself. Personally I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword though many may consider that blasphemy. And then there's Darksiders which I know isn't an exclusive but it is proven to run better on a ps3 and is just fun. Other things I would recommend:  Modnation Racers (if you like kart racing games only I suppose, but for that purpose it is unbeatable) Metal Gear Solid 4 (way too much cut-scene but once you've got past that the game itself is rather good)  EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Flower even though it's already been said. I feel I've betrayed myself. Flower is the most beautiful and relaxing game that I have ever played and yet it is so simple, a definite must for any PS3 owner. "
Thanks for your input! By the way, I'm starting to panic. I ordered the 160 GB PS3. Does it include PS2 back compat?
#18 Posted by hedfone (1731 posts) -
@Bigrhyno said:
" Metal Gear Solid 4 "
and 1 and 2 and 3
#19 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -
@Wolverine: Nope they stopped the backwards compatibility after the 80 gig.
#20 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -
@Wolverine said:
" @Djeffers03 said:
" Infamous Heavy Rain Uncharted 2 Valkyria Chronicles if your into japanese strategy games. God of War 3. And perhaps MGS4 if you really like the series although I think it's a little over-rated. "
Do I need to play the other MGS games in order to play MGS 4? If so, are they easy to find? "
To properly understand what going on you probably should play the previous games in the series. I was new to the series when I player MGS4 so for most of the time I was like "wtf is going on?!" I have no idea if the previous games are easy to find, Im sure you can find the on amazon or something.
#21 Posted by queenulhu (302 posts) -

LITTLE.  BIG.   PLANET.... also, Uncharted 2.  But mostly LBP.

#22 Posted by NinjaHunter (973 posts) -
@Djeffers03 said:
" @Wolverine said:
" @Djeffers03 said:
Do I need to play the other MGS games in order to play MGS 4? If so, are they easy to find? "
To properly understand what going on you probably should play the previous games in the series. I was new to the series when I player MGS4 so for most of the time I was like "wtf is going on?!" I have no idea if the previous games are easy to find, Im sure you can find the on amazon or something. "
MGS1 is on PSN so that's real easy to find but as for 2 and 3 I'm not sure.
#23 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
@NinjaHunter said:
" @Wolverine: Nope they stopped the backwards compatibility after the 80 gig. "
Fuck! Whatever though. I doubt I would have even went back to that many PS2 games and if I decide I want to I can always buy a PS2 for dirt cheap.
#24 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

This thread should have ended after the first time Uncharted 2 was mentioned.

So.. yeah. Uncharted 2.  Also inFamous. But mostly Uncharted 2. Although if you're planning on playing the original Uncharted, get it out of the way first because going back to it after Uncharted 2 is nigh impossible.

#25 Posted by Sadisticham (278 posts) -

Uncharted 2. Still my favourite game this gen. Real action packed adventure.

#26 Posted by Wraxend (570 posts) -

Uncharted 1 then 2.

#27 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
@skywave said:
" LITTLE.  BIG.   PLANET.... also, Uncharted 2.  But mostly LBP. "
You think it's worth getting now or should I just wait for LBP 2?
#28 Edited by queenulhu (302 posts) -
@Wolverine: I ABSOLUTELY think it's worth getting... the game is not short of genius, but it could only help you to appreciate the second game more.  I honestly love the "campaign" of the game in general, but at this point the desire to create levels might be better approached in consideration of the sequel.  Although I imagine that the game manipulation mechanics won't be extremely different, so learning how to control the game design aspects of LBP would only let you do it more easily in LBP2.  If you love sidescrollers & physics engines... you can't lose with LBP.  The music, the interaction, the possibilities... so promising.  There's something there for regular gamers & people who desire serious hands-on experiences in the game industry.  I, knowing nothing about level design, got to have my way with the LBP physics engine & do whatever I wanted as long as I could figure it out.  I personally wouldn't want to wait for LBP2 to start playing.  If you get it let me know I'll steal the ps3 back from my bro & multiplay with you!!!
#29 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles. Even if you absolutely despise SRPGs in general (I know I do).

#30 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (A Crack in Time) and Infamous. My two favorite PS3 games. Those are my favorite games on the system. 

#31 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank Future.

#32 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Wolverine: Wait for LBP2...pick up MGS4 now with other older games.
#33 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

Don't kid yourself. Uncharted 2.

#34 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the Best PS3 exclusive, but only if you've played the first 3. Don't buy it if you haven't, or you won't get the full experience.

Uncharted 2 is a popular choice, but it's just pure eye candy. The gameplay is a bit too repetitive, I wouldn't recommend it as a purchase, just rent it so you can see the how good the PS3 can process graphics. 

Demon's Souls is great too, and once you get past the first two bosses you'll see it's not as hard as people will tell you, as long as you're careful.

#35 Posted by sagesebas (1971 posts) -
@Wolverine: watch the heavy rain quicklook of the dlc if that doesn't sell you I don't know what will
#36 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
@face15 said:
" Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. No question.  It is the most visually stunning game on the system and it's gameplay, story and pacing is fucking perfect. Seriously, it is amazing. And don't worry about playing the first one, there's not really any need. "
#37 Posted by InFamous91 (931 posts) -
@pectoral said:
" Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.  It will blow you away visually. You could probably find the first game on the cheap right now if you want to be more updated on the story and characters. The first Uncharted is still an amazing looking and really fun quality game. "
#38 Posted by zombie2011 (5048 posts) -

Don't get GOW3 that game dragged on during the end, which is kinda weird seeing the game was only like 7 hours. 

Uncharted 2 is pretty much the only option, seeing everything else is getting a sequel soon that is probably gonna be better then the original.

#39 Posted by ProlificShadow (399 posts) -

I would consider Uncharted (both 1 and 2) and Heavy Rain the essential "must have" PS3 games. Demon's Souls is also extremely fun.  

I found Infamous really overrated. It's pretty much a standard open world game. Nothing special in my opinion.  

#40 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Uncharted 2! Definitely! And after you've completed that, then go for MGS4. It's still a real SOLID game.

#41 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

if you can get past the somewhat stiff acting, heavy rain is more than a worthwhile experience. it'll be a great way to usher in your playstation 3. other than that, i adore the uncharted games.

#42 Posted by chronicsmoke (999 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2

#43 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

Yakuza 3
Disgaea 4
white knight

#44 Edited by Castiel (2731 posts) -

Start with Uncharted 1 (Still a damn great game and you get introduced to the charaters and the universe) 
Then go on to Uncharted 2 (Now you know the characters, so less exposion means more action, fortunately they kept the humor and heart of the first game intact) 

That's a great introduction to the PS3, but for christ sake play U1 before U2 or you are cheating yourself of a great experience. 

After them, you can move on to Heavy Rain.

#45 Posted by sharma55 (455 posts) -

Uncharted 2.0 was my first game and man I loved it.

#46 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
@face15 said:
" Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. No question.  It is the most visually stunning game on the system and it's gameplay, story and pacing is fucking perfect. Seriously, it is amazing. And don't worry about playing the first one, there's not really any need. "
this is exactly what I was going to say!
#47 Posted by Tebbit (4484 posts) -

You might as well play Uncharted 1 through first, because then Uncharted 2 will blow you away all the more thoroughly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.