Where are the RPGs?

#1 Posted by JackBonneham (68 posts) -

For a console who's predecessor was well known for its robust choice in RPGs, the PS3 is ridiculously lacking in this area, only having 5 tops, all of which I have found to be mediocre at best. I bought my PS3 expecting plenty of good RPGs to come out, instead I get virtually none. Final Fantasy is on it's way but who knows how long that'll take.

On to my point. Has anyone played any good RPGs on the PS3 yet and if not when are some good ones coming out?
#2 Posted by The2ndB4TheCrash (85 posts) -

The closest one coming out right now is Eternal Sonata. There are more RPGs coming but its not nearly as soon as it should be. In 2007 Sony signed a 4 game exclusive deal with NCSOFT and no information has been posted about what games they would be. Most likely a split mmo/rpg combination but its something I personally look forward too. Besides that just wait and see what SE will say the first week of August and hold your breath unti TGS to get any other news.

#3 Posted by JackBonneham (68 posts) -

Ya, It's still annoying that they didn't have any sooner. Ah well, I'm still feeling need to vent anger due to FF13.

#4 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

folklore

#5 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

Yeah it does kind of suck.. But i guess you'll have to wait like the rest of us, thank god for the FF series now getting released on the 360!

#6 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Well Eternal Sonata is a great game and it is finally coming out on the Playstation 3.  Then Disgaea is coming out seen and then there is always Final Fantasy XIII to look forward to.

#7 Posted by verybadbeetle (43 posts) -

For this year, Disgaea 3 comes out in August. Valkyria Chronicles is coming in November. White Knight story my make in out by the end of the year but probably only in Japan.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -
epic_pets said:
"folklore"
Yeah, that is an awesome game.
#9 Posted by thelastguy (356 posts) -

Bought up by Microsoft

#10 Posted by The2ndB4TheCrash (85 posts) -
thelastguy said:
"Bought up by Microsoft
"
Please insert disk 7 to continue with play.
#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -
The2ndB4TheCrash said:
"thelastguy said:
"Bought up by Microsoft
"
"
I lost disc 7 T_T
#12 Posted by Dissolve (375 posts) -

Lately I've been getting into PS1 strategy and traditional RPGS.

On I'm bidding on:

• Kartia
  • Vandal Hearts
  • Tactics Ogre
  • Chrono Trigger (PS1 port).

I've also been playing FFT (never played it before) for PSP.

PS3 really needs some games like these.
#13 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

i think the answer to your question is Japan.
Unless you like western RPG's but by the sounds of things thats not what your looking for.

#14 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1062 posts) -

ReTarDedFisHy was looking towards FFVersusXIII  more than any other RPG anyway, he doesn't mind FFXIII going multi, it's all for benefit of the mother company anyway. But too bad since the 360s are going to be pirated way more. Sad face :(

#15 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

next month disagree 3 justice for all, November is valkria chronicles, and sometime nov-dec is eternal sonata.

#16 Posted by Dj (913 posts) -

Sadly, most developers seem to be moving away from RPG's in favor of shooters. SquareEnix seems to be the only RPG house with good RPG's coming out. The problem with them is that they take forever to makes games. In the past they have always been worth the wait. So I am waiting for Final Fantasy just like everyone else.

#17 Posted by Buzzer_Beater (200 posts) -
The2ndB4TheCrash said:
"thelastguy said:
"Bought up by Microsoft
"
"
How many discs are there actually?
#18 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
Buzzer_Beater said:
"The2ndB4TheCrash said:
"thelastguy said:
"Bought up by Microsoft
"
"
How many discs are there actually?
"
its endless
#19 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
Dj said:
"Sadly, most developers seem to be moving away from RPG's in favor of shooters. SquareEnix seems to be the only RPG house with good RPG's coming out. The problem with them is that they take forever to makes games. In the past they have always been worth the wait. So I am waiting for Final Fantasy just like everyone else."
thats the sad thing this gen. not that shooters are bad but its like
we need more rpg's. resistance 2 is annouced and every one is happy even tho its in fact a shooter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.