Why do you think that MGS4 got an M, and Uncharted 2 got a T?

#1 Edited by solidejake (484 posts) -

Well, it has crossed my mind, and I even wrote an English paper about it, but why do you think that Metal Gear Solid 4 is deserving of an M-Rating by the ESRB versus the fact that Uncharted 2 is T. It seems to me that there are more shoot-outs in U2, and more cussing as well (although MGS4 did have the F-bomb used once in the game). And it seems that they both use sexual themes multiple times as well. What do you think?

#2 Edited by Gabriel (4088 posts) -

Probably a number of things including upskirts and the Beauty and the Beast stories of genocide, rape, and cannabilism stuff.

#3 Posted by Xolare (1287 posts) -

MGS4 touches with a lot more sexual elements ie The B&B Corps and being able to see Naomi's panties. And plus there's a few slightly graphic things like people throwing up and such. Uncharted though just has a few blood stains and doesn't really have a lot of true "mature" themes.

#4 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

What I think? I think that the ESRB is a bunch of fools that inconsistently assign ratings to games they don't even fully understand.

#5 Edited by RuthLoose (846 posts) -

A lot of the decision was probably based on the tonality of the respective franchises.

The Uncharted universe is much more light-hearted and serial in nature. Yes, there is shooting but it comes across as a modern day Indiana Jones game. MGS4, on the other hand, discusses at length serious political themes such as nanomachines/proxy wars and gene experimentation. Plus, it has its own batch of Kojima/Japanese absurdity/sexuality.

#6 Posted by VierasTalo (966 posts) -

MGS4 has a deeper thematical basis which can easily disturb younger gamers (and older ones for that matter). I guess that'd be why, although since I live in Europe I have no idea what the exact ESRB-categories are.

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Uncharted 2 rated T for blood, language, mild suggestive themes, use of tobacco, violence.
Metal Gear Solid 4 rated M for blood, crude humor, strong language, suggestive theme, violence.

Seems to me that the UC series just knows how to tone it down enough to make it get the more PG-13 level rating, while MGS4 has stronger violence and language which earns it an R type rating.

#8 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Because of all that naked cartoon pussy, I believe. Also, the fight cutscenes with Vamp and shit were bloody as fuck. Uncharted never had that much gore.

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

@solidejake: Sexual elements, everything from the upskirts to meryl and johnny's sexual interlude while getting riddled with lead.

#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

There are actually very specific things that will trigger an M rating. For example, persistent blood (you shoot a dude and they slap a blood decal on the ground) is an automatic M rating unless you make a special appeal.

#11 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -
@jadeskye: Well, what about when Chloe asked Nate "is that an ancient Tibetan ritual in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" or "There's the hotel"  "Chloe, not now..." and her constant mention of her ass? Don't get me wrong, I have both games, and love them both and don't care for the rating, but it just gets me curious.
#12 Posted by RuthLoose (846 posts) -

@jadeskye:

#13 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Probably because the themes in MGS4 are darker than UC2's

#14 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -
@RuthLoose said:

@jadeskye:

Hot.
#15 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

@solidejake said:

@jadeskye: Well, what about when Chloe asked Nate "is that an ancient Tibetan ritual in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" or "There's the hotel" "Chloe, not now..." and her constant mention of her ass? Don't get me wrong, I have both games, and love them both and don't care for the rating, but it just gets me curious.

pithy banter and Meryl writing on top of johnny during a fire fight while actively shooting dudes in the head AND working up a horn-storm are hardly in the same league!

#16 Posted by RuthLoose (846 posts) -

@solidejake: I figured it out. The ESRB is full of Nolan North fanboys who have made it their mission to allow everyone but infants and children to experience some hot Nathan Drake action whenever and wherever.

#17 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -
@RuthLoose: Although that's extremely brilliant, Nolan North is actually in Metal Gear Solid 4. They were wasting his talent though, he played a random PMC, an online soldier voice, and a talk-show host in the beginning of the game.
#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12233 posts) -
@Xolare said:
graphic things like people throwing up and such
Show me a kid that hasn't thrown up.
#19 Posted by RuthLoose (846 posts) -
@solidejake: David Hayter's gruff can't match Nolan North's smooth range.
#20 Posted by Xolare (1287 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
@Xolare said:
graphic things like people throwing up and such
Show me a kid that hasn't thrown up.
Show me a kid without a mouth. :D
#21 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4931 posts) -

because Nathan Drake charmed the fucking pants off the ESRB

#22 Posted by Nottle (1916 posts) -

In uncharted you shoot guys and Lazaravich stabs a dude once. But shooting guys isn't very messy, they bleed a little but it's nothing all that disturbing at least to me. Metal Gear you can slit a guys throat and a blood spray comes out. Also Chloe and Drakes advances are kind of playful. They they say "hey there is a hotel..." not let's have sex. It's used as comic relief most of the time and I wouldn't really feel embarassed about if someone walked in on a conversation Chloe has with Drake. In MGS characters that have sex are like mentally scarred because of it. Just look at Otacon or the beauty and the beast unit. 

The violence in MGS4 also includes dismemberment.  I'm sure it has a bit to do with intended audiences. Do they want to appear edgy or a little more family friendly. I never thought Halo deserved other than the flood which is kind of disturbing, other than that your just shooting aliens which have blue blood, which would fall under animated blood or something right?

#23 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

uncharted 2 shows not so graphic stuff. in metal gear there is more stuff in the game.

#24 Posted by Devil240Z (3462 posts) -

@Xolare said:

MGS4 touches with a lot more sexual elements ie The B&B Corps and being able to see Naomi's panties. And plus there's a few slightly graphic things like people throwing up and such. Uncharted though just has a few blood stains and doesn't really have a lot of true "mature" themes.

Also a guy visibly shits all over himself.

#25 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Because it'd be an injustice to tell teenage boys that they can't fantasize over chloe's ass.

As pointed out by drake: "It's a shame you have to sit on something so beautiful"

#26 Edited by Marz (5676 posts) -

The Vamp vs Raiden scene was pretty violent as it showed lots of blood and closeups of the dudes stabbing each other.

#27 Posted by Atwa (664 posts) -

Because: NANOMACHINES!!! 

#28 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

playboy maganizes, doctors fucking etc etc

#29 Posted by Lelcar (833 posts) -

MGS4 drops the F-Bomb. "It's all so fucking hysterical!" - Laughing Octopus.

Aint no fucks in Uncharted, eh!

#30 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

They never made a R rated Indiana Jones did they? Indy and Uncharted are basically the same thing, so that's what i'll chalk it up to.

#31 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5484 posts) -

This was the absolute wrong comparison to make.

#32 Posted by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

It's because of Snake's nice ass not to mention half the game of him humping the ground.

#33 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11493 posts) -

There are f-bombs in MGS4. I'm pretty sure that in itself is grounds for an M rating, never mind the blood and gore. 

#34 Edited by ma_rc_01 (366 posts) -

How about the whole losing arms and getting stabbed through the chest by giant tentacles parts

#35 Posted by Rheinmetall (153 posts) -

Because Snake is sexy by its own.

#36 Posted by MachoFantastico (4916 posts) -

Didn't MGS4 feature a camera mode where you could literally stare and take pictures of the revealing suits the villians worn in the game?

#37 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Uncharted fucked up by deciding to give Nolan North only one speaking role.

#38 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Sexy egg cooking scenes = M
Sexy egg cooking scenes while cooking bacon = R
Cuts had to be made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.