Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Why is the PS3 such a boring console?

• 56 results
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Why?

It has so few games worth caring about.  It is ridiculous expensive.  It has features, like my phone, that I ca=ould care less about and are unlikely to ever use.

Really, the PS3 is so boring.  Why did did Sony screw up so bad?

Apart from LBP and Disgaea, there isn't a game I would rollover in bed to look at.  Plus, so many sport games .. zzzzzzz.

Really, anyone who has one surely needs to see a retail therapist.

Will it ever get interesting?
    EFKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EFKT

It must really depend on taste, if you're into shooters the xbox or pc would be a better choice. I myself don't own a PS3, but i think its fine.
    It gets some really great games as well, Orange Box, Fallout, Condemned 2. I think you just need to look abit harder.
    ( What i wouldst do to have LBP on xbox)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

I think all your arguments are more applicable to the Wii more. Afterall GTA4 was out for both the PS3 and 360, and Metal Gear was really good IMO (no GTA4 or MGS4 for the Wii). The PS3 just doesn't have anything new to offer that the 360 doesn't already have but it certainly doesn't mean its boring. That would be like saying the games on the 360 are boring as well. If you already own a 360, it would be a hard sell to get a PS3; but if you own nothing; you certainly won't be 'bored' if you're options are see whats on Tv or play the PS3.

One thing I keep thinking about; 'Boring?', while the PS3 and Sony in general should be critisized, I've never heard anybody use the word "boring" over say struggling or sucking, or whatever other word to put Sony in a bad light.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By KamasamaK

So another thread about badmouthing a console. Hmm...

pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pandemic

The PS3 is anything but boring.  I have a 360 because of the playstation's lack of games but outside of a smaller list of blockbusters the playstation has a lot of great features.

As in user-changeable hard drive, built in wifi, marginally more powerful console, blu-ray, etc...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

This is probably the worst thread I've ever seen started by an idiot who's clearly never touched a PS3.

I thought you were cool "oldschool".

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gizmo

The Xbox is a better pure gaming machine, but the PS3 makes up for that with Blu-ray and browser, and lots of cool features. And it doesn't break every few months :/

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

Look, I understand people like there 360's and that's cool, etc but I really don't see how the 360 is a better "gaming" machine. If anything I can see the similarities and few differences but I'm really tired of this "superiority" comparison. They both do things well and things bad. For me, having owned a 360 and PS3 I find the PS3 to me a much better built, designed and functioning system. Since March '08 I've bought 14 games for my PS3 and 11 PSN downloads. I still have a back catalogue of things to play.

I'm happy.

If you don't like the PS3 that's fair enough, but why make a thread about it. It's just dumb and makes you look like an idiot. To call it "boring" suggests you've never touched the thing in your life.

Let's put him on Wipeout HD on a 50inch HDTV in zones mode on level 50 and see how boring he thinks the PS3 is.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gizmo
    get2sammyb said:
    "Look, I understand people like there 360's and that's cool, etc but I really don't see how the 360 is a better "gaming" machine. If anything I can see the similarities and few differences but I'm really tired of this "superiority" comparison. They both do things well and things bad. For me, having owned a 360 and PS3 I find the PS3 to me a much better built, designed and functioning system. Since March '08 I've bought 14 games for my PS3 and 11 PSN downloads. I still have a back catalogue of things to play.

I'm happy.

If you don't like the PS3 that's fair enough, but why make a thread about it. It's just dumb and makes you look like an idiot. To call it "boring" suggests you've never touched the thing in your life.

Let's put him on Wipeout HD on a 50inch HDTV in zones mode on level 50 and see how boring he thinks the PS3 is."
    Yeah, I actually agree with you, the PS3 is not a inferior machine in any way, it's a great console, however, I don't think it is a better gaming console as of yet, I believe that by the time the PS3 does start taking steps in that direction, Microsoft will unveil a new console which will leave the PS3 dying in a corner.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

get2sammyb said:
    "Look, I understand people like there 360's and that's cool, etc but I really don't see how the 360 is a better "gaming" machine. If anything I can see the similarities and few differences but I'm really tired of this "superiority" comparison. They both do things well and things bad. For me, having owned a 360 and PS3 I find the PS3 to me a much better built, designed and functioning system. Since March '08 I've bought 14 games for my PS3 and 11 PSN downloads. I still have a back catalogue of things to play.

I'm happy.

Let's put him on Wipeout HD on a 50inch HDTV in zones mode on level 50 and see how boring he thinks the PS3 is."
    Yeah same here, I have owned both consoles, I had fun with my 360, but it died twice on me and I decided to buy the ps3, which I very glad I did it had alot of the same great games and some awesome exclusives coming this way.
    The whole playstation has bluray to make up for games argument is kind of dumb, Microsoft tried to implement HD-DVD but it failed, so they tried to go with extra features but failed in the end.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    Gizmo said:
    "get2sammyb said:

I'm happy.

Yeah, I actually agree with you, the PS3 is not a inferior machine in any way, it's a great console, however, I don't think it is a better gaming console as of yet, I believe that by the time the PS3 does start taking steps in that direction, Microsoft will unveil a new console which will leave the PS3 dying in a corner."
    Maybe that will happen, maybe that won't happen but I think that would presumably eat right into Sony's hands. All of a sudden Microsoft have a new system on the market, at a premium price with a thin back catalogue (unless they get the B.C right) and the PS3 is sitting there in the corner at a nice attractive price point with a huge back catalogue behind it.

Like I said already though, I have roughly 25 games in total for my PS3 and I generally only buy the ones that score well. No games for the system? I think not.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gizmo

There are a lot of rumours of 360 getting a external Blu-ray player are floating around, which in my opinion, will be a huge advantage in the 360's favour.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    Gizmo said:
    "There are a lot of rumours of 360 getting a external Blu-ray player are floating around, which in my opinion, will be a huge advantage in the 360's favour."
    They would never be able to store games on the BluRay though because that would force everyone to buy one. Which I don't think they'd legally be able to do?

I'm sure the XBOX3 will have bluray mind.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gizmo

I generally dislike the controller, shape, and design of the Playstation and would not use one over a 360, also the online on the 360 is far superior. Not fanboyish, just opinion :)

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Rowr
    oldschool said:
    "Why?
    It has so few games worth caring about.  It is ridiculous expensive.  It has features, like my phone, that I ca=ould care less about and are unlikely to ever use.

Apart from LBP and Disgaea, there isn't a game I would rollover in bed to look at.  Plus, so many sport games .. zzzzzzz.

"
    gtfo with these shitty troll threads. This is not fucking system wars.

At least provide some fucking arguments or something.
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Captain_Insano

I have a 360 over a PS3 and will only get a PS3 later this year primarily for its Blu-Ray function and for a couple of exclusives like MGS 4 and Uncharted.

I don't think it is a 'boring' console, from what I know it does the job it is meant to do fairly capably. I think the other consoles are more 'exciting' for two reasons. Xbox 360 was the first next-gen console out of the gate, it had a huge advantage in beating the PS3 to the punch in this aspect and PS3 has spent a long time trying to catch up. 360 won a lot of favour with its numerous exclusives such as Gears which had nothing comparable elsewhere. The PS3 is slowly bridging the gap but still has less exclusives compared to the 360 to win people over, and with a lot of games being multi platform (GTA, Final Fantasy etc), people who already have a 360 don't need the alternative. Last gen it was the other way around with PS2 having most of the mind-blowing exclusives and Xbox relying pretty much solely on Halo (which I'm not a huge fan of, I was a PS2 fanboy last gen)

And, as it has been said to death all over the net and on giantbomb podcasts, the Wii has carved itself such a niche in the gaming market that it has now become the majority seller. It is just something completely different and its uniqueness is what makes it 'exciting'.

The PS3 isn't boring, although I am personally not interested in one, it just has to stimulate the market somehow and I think, despite stellar titles like MGS 4, it has failed to do so.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Gizmo said:
    "get2sammyb said:

I'm happy.

Yeah, I actually agree with you, the PS3 is not a inferior machine in any way, it's a great console, however, I don't think it is a better gaming console as of yet, I believe that by the time the PS3 does start taking steps in that direction, Microsoft will unveil a new console which will leave the PS3 dying in a corner."
    You're probably right, and just like how MS dropped all support of the xbox as soon as the 360 came up, MS will put a big middle finger to all 360 owners and say buy the newer version or get out. All the while the PS3 probably still trying to hang on for dear life will still have game released for it way past its lifespan much like the PS2 still has game released for it now. In the long run, I'd choose the PS3 as a sound investment.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gameboi

If you had made this statement when the PS3 first hit store shelves, I'd be tempted to agree with you. However, times have changed. The PS3 and 360 pretty much have the same game library now, minus a very small number of exclusives.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By chililili

Do not feed the troll please

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By super_machine

This shit is so 2007.

BreatheEasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BreatheEasy

Your bio says you are 'soon to get a PS3'.

Strange, I don't buy shit I hate, or find boring.

TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TSchonbeck

I have both a PS3 and a 360, and I tend to use the PS3 as more of a media machine then a gaming machine that more or less the 360's domain at least in my home.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

Coming from someone who has a red name. Funny.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Maru

Actually I think PS 3 is a nice console... it actually has good build quality .. and has true exclusive games where 360's end up on PC as well.  Also it has more distinct console feel to it which I perfer since I already own a gaming PC, not to mention the Blue Ray player it has.

I will probably pick one up later this year... after all the big games hit.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By KillaMaStA

Why is the Wii/DS or whatever YOU like such a piece of garbage that it hurts when i look at it?

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nets
    get2sammyb said:
    Amen!
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hexpane

Both the PS3 and XBOX360 are under powered, over priced last gen PCs in a box.  However my over priced PS3 plays BRDs so that = win and it plays PSone and PS2 games.
    I won't buy a 360 until I can get a non Elite priced black model that has an upgraded chip set. I've been burned too many times with early consoles that die like PS2 fat DRE, XBOX1 Thompson DDE etc...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    oldschool said:
    "Why?

"

That's exactly how I feel about the 360 for the most part.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PercyChuggs

As a fan of video games, I find my PS3 to be quite exciting, thank you very much.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shadows_kill

o and there was a time where you could say these things...o wait that was in 2006 3 years ago...so i think you should try looking around see what you have missed since then. i know hits to the head you do miss things.

chililili said:

"Do not feed the troll please"
    also this. i would like there to be no system wars like at gamespot...
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Optiow

I think the Ps3 is a good console, but it will never sell as well as the Ps2 did.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kratos81

I have had my ps3 for 1 1/2 years now and have to agree. I enjoyed the exclusives it has, thats why I bought it, but I buy all the multiplait games on the 360 because I prefer live for mp. Compared to the 360 I never play it, but 2009 looks to be a good year if the games dont get delayed.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PercyChuggs
    shadows_kill said:
    "o and there was a time where you could say these things...o wait that was in 2006 3 years ago...so i think you should try looking around see what you have missed since then. i know hits to the head you do miss things.

chililili said:
    "Do not feed the troll please"
    also this. i would like there to be no system wars like at gamespot..."
    As long as there are forums dedicated to video gaming, there will be immature losers who argue about which consoles are the best.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hexpane

XBOX360 and PS3 have both broken more promises than they kept

1080p gaming... future proof?

More like 640p gaming w/ 30fps and less features, worse graphics than PC gaming from 3 years ago.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowKiller

From what I've seen of a PS3 I wouldn't classify it as boring. I don't think it's better than Xbox right now (Besides the hardware) but it could easily catch up.

Tripwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tripwire

The PS3 isn't borring it just didn't live up to expectations. Well for me anyways.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ocdog45
    oldschool said:
    "Why?

"

your boring. i've seen 360 fanboys post reasonable stuff then this crap!
    ImortalKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ImortalKnife

I don't know, I have a 360 and my younger brother has a PS3 and it has plenty of good games. LittleBigPlanet = crack for me personally....

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Ujio

Boring? WTH are you talking about? It has all the same damn games the 360 has with the exception of 1st party (obviously). The question you should ask is why is the 360 such an unreliable piece of shit? Why do I want to pay $50/year to get cussed out by punk ass 12-year-olds every time I join an online game?

I don't know. The PS3 is just fine and the fact that online is free is icing on top of an already enticing cake. I love it. I'm sorry, but MS are the ones that blew it by proving they have no business ethic at all when they knowingly released a product with a 30% failure rate. Talk all the shit you want about Sony at least I'm not afraid of it self-combusting or shitting out on me out of the blue one day (like my previous 360 did).

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By lvl10Wizard

Yawn

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By guiseppe

The only thing I feel the PS3 is missing is games, plain and simple. Sure, it has some great games, but it has no great, exclusive titles (except LBP) that appeals to everyone. Or maybe it's just me they don't appeal to, but that's the general feeling I'm getting anyway. I'm sure MGS4 is great, but is there any appeal for someone who hasn't played the earlier games in the series? I'm one of those people and I feel that I wouldn't get much out of MGS4 from just playing that game, no matter how good it is. Bring on the games, and then I'll get excited :).

Other than that, I feel that the PS3 has a lot to offer. Just misses that key part of a successful console.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clarke0

Hmm... I'm going to have to say that I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm far from being a PS3 fan but it has most of the games the 360 does and some really great exclusives. It's far from boring.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By oldschool

First off, let me apologise (sort of ) and explain.

This thread was actually a point making exercise, based in a degree of sarcasm.  I am just as tired of the system wars type threads as the next intelligent gamer.  Thing is, around here every other day, there is a Wii is shit thread (as there was the day I posted this thread and in fact inspired it - more later).  Worse still, there isn't a thread concerning the Wii, that isn't entered by a bunch of morons who don't like the Wii (for their petty reasons) with the usual negative and pathetic commentary (why do people do this?).

So, yet again I login and there it is, "Wii is shit" heading and no points to add.  In come the haters to add to it.  Nothing constructive, just insults and anything generally stupid.  So. I thought, lets do the same thing for the PS3 (as most of the worst of the Wii haters seem to be PS3 fanboys, clearly miffed at the success of Nintendo at the expense of Sony) and see what happens.

So, to all of the insults labelled at me in this thread, they are all true.  This is a pathetic thread.  That was its intention.  It proved my point, even if you can't see it.

The PS3 is perfectly fine.  For those who did check my bio to see where I am at, may have noticed an extremely long blog on why PS3 has a perfectly good library that should satisfy anyone.  I believe the PS3 is the best piece of hardware in this generation.  Way better than the 360.  I still prefer the Wii for my fun and it is only the price holding me back from getting a PS3.  True, for me, there isn't a great number of games that I want, but enough to make it worthwhile and true, not as many good games as the 360, but that hardware is just plain bad.

So, apologies for the thread.  It did however serve a point for me.  Sadly, it won't stop the endless Wii hating threads.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By daniel_beck_90

A hardcore gamer needs both consoles , End of the story

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldschool
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "A hardcore gamer needs both consoles , End of the story"
    Why just hardcore?  Anyone who enjoys games should get as many systems that their bank balance can afford.  I am still getting good games for my PS2 (Odin Sphere - I love it).  Even my PSPs get the occasional game (usually a Final Fantasy or other good RPG).
    As long as any system has exclusives that you enjoy, then it is a system worth getting.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By atejas
    oldschool said:
    "First off, let me apologise (sort of ) and explain.
    This thread was actually a point making exercise, based in a degree of sarcasm.  I am just as tired of the system wars type threads as the next intelligent gamer.  Thing is, around here every other day, there is a Wii is shit thread (as there was the day I posted this thread and in fact inspired it - more later).  Worse still, there isn't a thread concerning the Wii, that isn't entered by a bunch of morons who don't like the Wii (for their petty reasons) with the usual negative and pathetic commentary (why do people do this?).

So, yet again I login and there it is, "Wii is shit" heading and no points to add.  In come the haters to add to it.  Nothing constructive, just insults and anything generally stupid.  So. I thought, lets do the same thing for the PS3 (as most of the worst of the Wii haters seem to be PS3 fanboys, clearly miffed at the success of Nintendo at the expense of Sony) and see what happens.

So, to all of the insults labelled at me in this thread, they are all true.  This is a pathetic thread.  That was its intention.  It proved my point, even if you can't see it.

The PS3 is perfectly fine.  For those who did check my bio to see where I am at, may have noticed an extremely long blog on why PS3 has a perfectly good library that should satisfy anyone.  I believe the PS3 is the best piece of hardware in this generation.  Way better than the 360.  I still prefer the Wii for my fun and it is only the price holding me back from getting a PS3.  True, for me, there isn't a great number of games that I want, but enough to make it worthwhile and true, not as many good games as the 360, but that hardware is just plain bad.

So, apologies for the thread.  It did however serve a point for me.  Sadly, it won't stop the endless Wii hating threads.
    "
    caption
    caption
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#47  Edited By LordAndrew
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "A hardcore gamer needs both consoles , End of the story"
    Alas, not all gamers can afford both consoles, causing them to attempt to justify the purchase that they did make.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    super_machine said:
    "This shit is so 2007."
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By oldschool
    Death_Unicorn said:
    "super_machine said:
    "This shit is so 2007."
    "
    It predates 2007 by near 20 years.
    Avatar image for altered_confusion
    Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

To be truly honest I think that Sony has just tried to push too much stuff for the PS3, and then held it back, games got cancelled, or went elsewhere. I think that it will recover, but its not going to until near the end of its life cycle as everything finally comes together. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.