Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Will A US Playstation 3 Slim work in the UK?

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By vivek

So I'm heading stateside begining of September, and have worked out that a US PS3 would cost me 190 GBP compared to 250 GBP if I were to purchase one here in the UK. That 60 GBP which could buy me a game and a spare controller. 

So my Question is will a US PS3 work in the UK, power wise and network wise? 

Just to make clear im talking SPECIFICALLY about the new SLIM MODEL. I already own a fat one that has decided too second up as a hair dryer / heater.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Power systems are different, it'll destroy your PS3 and maybe even start a fire or hurt someone.  Always be careful about that, people have died that way (seriously).

edit - I should add it probably won't even plug in, different power outlets.  However, I've heard of stories with compatible plugs but uncompatable power.  Some kid in Europe went from one country to another with his DS, when unplugging it it shocked him to death.

AC plugs : 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Types_in_present_use

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lashe

Network will be fine, but remember Blu-ray films are Region specific. If you want to watch BDs its gonna be a case of importing each time.  

Seems power might not work as I had initially believed.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
    @Lashe said:
    " I don't see why not, seems to use an old PS2 power chord by the looks of things. Network will be fine, but remember Blu-ray films are Region specific. If you want to watch BDs its gonna be a case of importing each time.  "
    If he exchanges the UK PS3 power cable with a US PS3 power cable he's going to fry his PS3 because of the different power systems.  The power supply within the PS3 is built for the region.
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vivek
    @Diamond said:

" Power systems are different, it'll destroy your PS3 and maybe even start a fire or hurt someone.  Always be careful about that, people have died that way (seriously).  edit - I should add it probably won't even plug in, different power outlets.  However, I've heard of stories with compatible plugs but uncompatable power.  Some kid in Europe went from one country to another with his DS, when unplugging it it shocked him to death. "

The fat US PS3 model works on UK Power just fine.    That why im making sure that the new model will too
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
    @Vivek said:
    The fat US PS3 model works on UK Power just fine.    That why im making sure that the new model will too "
    Guess it'll depend on if the power supply accepts both.  Did some research and apparently some models of the fat will accept both some won't.
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vivek

Ah kl, might just write to Sony and claim that I am moving from the US to the UK and have already preorderd a US model and see if they can do me a UK model for the same price.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I spent some time in New Zealand, trust me, get a heavy duty power converter. I tried using just a little plug converter and fried a GameCube.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vivek

For a saving of 60 GBP (97 USD) I might aswell save myself the hassel and get a UK model. Plus as Diamond said that at least I can buy local region Blurays. 

When im in Florida ill just stock up on games :)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Vivek said:
    " For a saving of 60 GBP (97 USD) I might aswell save myself the hassel and get a UK model. Plus as Diamond said that at least I can buy local region Blurays "
    So you'd save about $100 US by importing?  Can't you randomly get hit by VAC or something like that when importing?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I spent some time in New Zealand, trust me, get a heavy duty power converter. I tried using just a little plug converter and fried a GameCube. "
    I am using a Canadian NYSC Wii in Australia with the Australian power lead and it works fine.  I did research beforefand though.  Also, my US DS Phat workd fine with an Australian charge cable.  I agree that a power converter (step-up or step-down, whichever it is) is usually the safest.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
    @oldschool said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " I spent some time in New Zealand, trust me, get a heavy duty power converter. I tried using just a little plug converter and fried a GameCube. "
    I am using a Canadian NYSC Wii in Australia with the Australian power lead and it works fine.  I did research beforefand though.  Also, my US DS Phat workd fine with an Australian charge cable.  I agree that a power converter (step-up or step-down, whichever it is) is usually the safest. "
    I found out 2 years later when I moved back to the states, that it only fried the power box, the GameCube itself was fine, I just needed a new power cord.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    I am using a Canadian NYSC Wii in Australia with the Australian power lead and it works fine.  I did research beforefand though.  Also, my US DS Phat workd fine with an Australian charge cable.  I agree that a power converter (step-up or step-down, whichever it is) is usually the safest. "
    I found out 2 years later when I moved back to the states, that it only fried the power box, the GameCube itself was fine, I just needed a new power cord. "
    Unless you know someone else who as done the same thing with exactly the same conditions, itis always a risk with doing this.  I took the risk wth the DS, but rang Nintendo on the Wii.  The tech person wouldn't officially say it worked, but did so  unofficially.  There is so much money involved, you don't want to risk it. 

I don't the risk is worth the money savedsince the PS3 is region free for games.  That is the best thing about the PS3.   We get slugged $100 more in Australia as well and for that, Sony annoys me.
    DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By DC

You'll need a step-down converter by the sound of things. NTSC-UK.com have a decent thread going through the importing process, but it's for the old phat model - http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=66748 - there is still useful information there. While the original PS3 worked regardless, the new power system in the PS3 Slim will more than likely need a converter. I've just ordered a PS3 Slim from the US ('cus I was going to get a Region-A Blu-Ray player anyway) and I'm looking around for converters. There's some cheap £5 - 15 models, but I'll probably end up spending more.

I don't mind spending more on the import because I'm getting a Region-A Blu-Ray player (I want to play Japanese BDs aswell as English ones). You won't be able to play UK Blu-Rays on your US PS3 Slim. If you're only importing to 'save money' then you'll probably find it'll cost the same after shipping and import tax. Even if you do save £30 or something at the end of it, you'll be spending that on the step-down converter anyway.

If you're still interested in importing, I'd get searching for a 'US to UK Power Converter'. For example - 
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Step-Down-Transformer-sockets/dp/B0009K6M76/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1251706600&sr=8-6 - still saving money? :)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

If I were you, I'd cut out all the hassle and stump up the extra £60. But that's me. I prefer to pay for convenience.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Having to import all blu-rays would be a bit too much of a hassle to bother with.  Also, the PS3 is pretty damn heavy, the import tax would be very high, in the end it'd probably cost you just about as much as buying one from here.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By jvsexy

USA uses 110volts & i think UK uses 240volts. The PS3 Slim's peak power consumption is 250watts. However, testing shows it doesnt exceed 120w. The solution is a STEP DOWN CONVERTER  . To be on the safe side, buy a 500w Step Down Converter. You also have to take into account heat issues. But a 500w converter should be more than enough juice. 

All the best !!      

I also have to buy the converter as I am living in Fiji & I will be ordering a PS3 Slim from USA. In Fiji it will cost $1250, which is a big RIP-OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!
    vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vivek

Cheers for the comments guys, Ive decided that im going for the UK, model just to save hassle. But I will be getting games when in the states. Also if I were to get a US model, I wouldnt tell customs... thats just stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.