Will there be another PS3 hardware revision?

#1 Edited by minivan (164 posts) -

I'm looking at buying a PS3 and wondering if Sony will ever revise the hardware again. The easy answer is "no" since the PS4 is out, but the 2012 PS3 reviewed so poorly. Will Sony leave that hardware generation on such a low note?

#2 Edited by narujoe93 (2429 posts) -

That review is old, so it isn't as expensive as it used to be. If you can live with a top loader, then whats the problem? It plays ps3 games. If thats what you want out of it, it does a great job at doing just that!

And no, I doubt there will be another major revision.

#3 Posted by minivan (164 posts) -

@naru_joe93: the 2012 PS3 is probably fine for me, I'd just be annoyed if a new, better-built version came out later

#4 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (927 posts) -

I think that super slim console is the last version. Once they go top loader it's over.

#5 Edited by Trilogy (2569 posts) -
#6 Edited by A_E_Martin (84 posts) -

Reading that review, I wonder if there's something amiss with my super-slim. They say it makes "zero noise" and "is without a doubt the quietest home console" they've heard. I only got mine a few months ago, and right from the start it was decidedly noisier than my fat 60 GB model ever was. Be it the disc drive or the fans, it's never what I'd call noiseless. I haven't had any performance issues though, so I don't know what to make of it.

#7 Posted by MB (11297 posts) -

Until I read this topic I didn't even know that there was a top-loading PS3.

#8 Posted by alternate (2654 posts) -

It might get smaller and cheaper but any new model is likely to be similar. They removed the slot loader to save a dollar, they are unlikely to put it back in.

#9 Posted by BlackLagoon (1321 posts) -

I've seen some speculating that since they shrunk the PS3 hardware down in size even further to create the PlayStation Now server racks, they might use those as a basis for an even slimmer model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.