Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

will this be ps3 year

nordy49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nordy49
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Weren't people asking this last year?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

You will need some solid explanations as to why it could be yes.

At best it might match the 360 for worldwide sales, but it has already lost the year to the Wii and the DS.
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cc23574

You'll have to wait till end of the year.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

This happens every year.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool

Only a fanboy would say yes.  There isn't a single logical reason to say yes.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By chililili
    oldschool said:
    Only a fanboy would say yes. There isn't a single logical reason to say yes.
    Well what is the "year of the ps3". If by "year of the ps3" you mean are you more interested in exclusives coming out this year for hte ps3 than any other platform? Then I would say: yes it is, and so was last year. However this year although it does not have as name heavy exclusives like MGS4, has much more exclusives in quantity while the only X360 exclusive confirmed this year is Halo ODST, which is not interesting to me at all.

If by "year" you mean it overtakes the 360 on sales figures... if they did a 100 dollar price drop yes, but as things are no way.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    chililili said:
    oldschool said: Only a fanboy would say yes. There isn't a single logical reason to say yes. Well what is ... [more]
    Year of the PS3 means that it sales of both hardware and software exceed the competition.  Otherwise I can say my N-Gage is so awesome, that it is the year of the N-Gage.  

You have to take a broad and relative approach to making a call like that.  A single person's view based on some games he likes is irrelevant.
    TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By TobyD81

I dunno, I kinda thought last year was a good year for PS3. Little Big Planet, MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles (my current game, played a ton yesterday), Flower, PJ Eden, Wipeout HD, plus a ton of great non-exclusive games. Last year had so many good reasons to get a PS3 that if by now you still don't want one, probably nothing is going to change your mind.

At this point, Sony has a great opportunity to surprise me at E3. I'm enjoying what I'm playing now, but I still don't know what exclusives are going to grab me by the end of the year. God of War 3 isn't coming until early next year, and FF13 is coming God knows when. For me, I think 2009 will be the year of the PSP. I'm really interested in a UMD-less PSP.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By BlackWaterCO

The PS3 will never have a year

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    BlackWaterCO said:
    The PS3 will never have a year

I guess if you dislike something enough it'll never mean anything to you. Right?
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlackWaterCO

I like my PS3 chainblast

Good exclusives every couple of months

But most multiplatform games are better quality on 360 and I also like achievements better as well as the 360 controller, and XBL is far easier and better and less laggy

therefore, the 360 will always be better...

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackWaterCO

The PS3 also heats my room up, which is already bad here in florida. I know I may sound like im nitpicking but I've owned my PS3 LONGER than my 360

Buying a 360 was the best gaming investment sinse my SNES

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Discorsi

i thought this was the year of the ox.....

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

a resounding no in the polls?

for hardcore gamers, absolutely this is a year for the PS3, just like last year was. I loved Gears 2 to death but thats all i got, i got on PS3 Resistance 2, Socom Confontation (despite the rocky start this game is just as fun and addictive as socom ever was), LittleBigPlanet (vastly underrated by those who never played it, this game is awesome and it gets better and better with time) and MGS4...shit i even really dug Valkyria Chronicles. and the exclusives Sony has been pumping out for this year are unmatched, and its only MAY dude! 

Throw in and inevitable price cut (finally), PS3 is going to catch up to XBOX in sales eventually, i think its like 28mil for XBOX and 22mil for PS3 now so thats not a big margin anymore. 360 will continue to sell like crazy too, its just that for hardcore gamers like us, PS3 is the console delivering the goods this year. You can't ingore the fact that PS3 already has 3 top notch exclusive system sellers like MLB 09 The Show (yes it is arguably a system seller, not big numbers, but the sports game audience is huge and everyone is well aware that The Show is vastly superior to MLB 2k9, and i know several people who have already and some who really want to buy a ps3 just for that game), Killzone 2, and inFamous. All of these games are AAAE. 
    Its safe to so that Uncharted 2 will be a AAAE, as well as MAG. Ratchet and Clank Future sequel will most likely be AAAE. GT5 will be a AAAE no doubt. hmm what else, i think Heavy Rain will be at least AAE depending on how engaging the experience is. If the new Trico game comes out this year thats another AAAE for sure, and of course God of War 3 will definitely be a AAAE. 
    Come on guys, i love both consoles, but it doesn't take a genius to see where the games are at this year. Both systems are getting the coolest mutli-plat games too like MW2 and Lost Planet 2, and Bioshock 2. etc. 360 will have a few decent games, but seriously, Ninja Blade left a sour taste in my mouth, as well as Halo Wars. If Halo ODST is awesome (which i am sure it will be) then what else is there?
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

My god...just fucking get over it. Every single year has been "The year of the PS3". It doesn't have to live up to this at all and it won't. There are a few good games coming out for it this year, even though most are multiplatform, it doesn't have to be the year of something. People just start sounding like a broken record.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

PS3 seems like it will stay where it is now, which is fine.  I hope the great games coming out for it do better than some of their games have done in the past because they deserve to, but I don't see them suddenly leaping ahead of Xbox or anything.  Lets just see how PS3 does and stop asking if every year is its year already.

CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CactusWolf

I don't care. I've got all the consoles, and I'm not a fanboy.

So I've got no reason whatsoever to give a damn what console does the best his year.

DarkSeraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By DarkSeraphim
    CactusWolf said:
    I don't care. I've got all the consoles, and I'm not a fanboy.So I've got no reason whatsoever to give ... [more]

Agreed.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By EpicSteve

Lets wait until Microsofts press event. We said this same thing last year.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Blinck

It is always the Wii year when it comes down to sales. Nintento owns this shit :P

As for exclusives, I would say yes :) PS3 has some great exclusives this year.. inFamous, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, GT5 ( hopefully ), possibly the next Kojima project !

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Systech

Great. Another one of these threads. I think the Gizmondo will be the winner this year because of their promising E3 lineup.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By meptron

no way. this is going to be the year of the dreamcast! hold on to your seats boys, it's coming back!!!!

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Qorious

I'm tired of people picking a year for a console and saying that "it's their year". As long as great games come out then I could careless if it's the PS3's year.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
    Qorious said:
    I'm tired of people picking a year for a console and saying that "it's their year". As long as great ... [more]
    People saying this is the equivalent of chicks asking "does this outfit make my arse look big?".  It is needy.  Get over it.  Exactly what does it mean and why should I care?
    DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DECA555
    @CL60: wow. And you called me a fanboy. I dont mind a little competition but your just a tool. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By CL60
    DECA555 said:
    @CL60: wow. And you called me a fanboy. I dont mind a little competition but your just a tool. [more]
    lol, you are a fanboy, at least I don't post in every single topic explaining why a system is better than another, I have both and I play both. I just like to laugh at fanboys, and the Sony fanboys on this forum seem to express themselves in a much more hilariously fanboyish manor.
    Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stunt

Sure. While I have interest in both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, there are only a few titles coming to the Xbox 360 this year that interest me, and that's Splinter Cell: Conviction, Mass Effect 2, APB, Venetica and Magna Carta II. I do not care for Halo 3: ODST as much as the rest of the world because frankly the whole Halo thing is getting really annoying.

The PlayStation 3 has a vast amount of titles this year that pick up my interests though. To name a few:

• Cross Edge
    • Demon's Souls
    • God of War III
    • inFAMOUS
    • Katamari Forever
    • Last Rebellion
    • MAG
    • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
    • Quantum Theory
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    • Trinity Universe
    • White Knight Chronicles
    • Yakuza 3
    The PlayStation 3 will definately pick up its value this year and a lot of hardcore gamers are going to pick up the system. It's definatly the PlayStation 3's year so far.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    CL60 said:
    This happens every year.
    This.
    We'll see come E3. I hope Sony impresses. I hope all three of them impress.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ket87

God of War 3 is the only huge name IP Sony has left to drop and there is really no evidence for it even coming out in 09, we barely got a functioning trailer. And with FFXIII out of the picture there is nothing with a name to push sales. Sure some great games are in store but none of them are what push consoles. John Q Casual Gamer ain't gonna go out and buy a PS3 for White Knight Chronicles he'll never even hear of the fucking game. MAG is going to be ridiculous but it won't push hardware sales nor will any of those random games Stunt listed above.

We've gotta be realistic about a few things here folks, Wii has a vice grip on the balls of casual gamers, the market share Sony epically lost of the PS2 hey day if its ho-hum launch line up and $600 price tag. 360 and PS3 are near equal in content and potential now but Microsoft can advertise like a beast. Public opinion is that the PS3 is a giant turd when its really on even ground. Even ground or still in the fight is all you can hope for this gen. Unless someone drops a bombshell sometime soon this will just be a year of the PS3 trucking along at a slightly quicker pace. People expecting it to leave at least the 360 eating dust anytime soon are sadly delusional.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai

Depends who you ask. If you ask PS3 fanboys they will say yes, if you ask 360 fanboys they will say no. I own all three gaming consoles and I say lets just enjoy all the great games every system offer us and stop bickering.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hairydutchman

I think both the Wii and the PS3 have a good year.  So yes.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By keyhunter

Yeah man PS3 all the way this year. The momentum shift is about to happen!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.